Ibanez Artcore? Any good?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Markkkky, May 22, 2019.

1. Markkkky

Markkkky Electromatic

Aug 26, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Does anybody have any experiences with the Ibanez Artcore series? (Especially the af55)

savofenno and TSims1 like this.
  2. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

I do. I will say that you need to go UP the model line to get into the good stuff. But once you get up there, you get a ton for your money. Do your research too, they have differently pickups in different models. The Super 58s are pickups that I really like.

LivingMyDream, savofenno and Pop1655 like this.
  3. rich724

rich724 Gretschie

Apr 16, 2013
    Linden, MI
    I have an Ibanez AS83. Its an older one so it came with the stock pups which I upgraded to a set of SD JBs.
    I also upgraded the nut to a TUSQ. Other than that its a great playing/sounding guitar.

savofenno likes this.
  4. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I had an AG 75BS and I was very new to guitars and strings. I put some flats on it never bonded with it after that and traded. I later realized it was a string issue but the guitar when it had good strings on it was very good.

savofenno likes this.
  5. EC Strat

EC Strat Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Louisville
    Great value guitar line

savofenno likes this.
  6. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I have owned three Ibanez hollowbody guitars. Each were very well made guitars. However, they were not the lower priced guitars.

I have no experience with the model you asked about.

7. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Anything in the Artcore line is worth looking at. Decent prices, nicely made. George Benson uses 'em, and has his own GB Series. Good endorsement in my book. Lots of Gretsch guys got into Ibys before they went to Gretsch.

savofenno likes this.
  8. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I put TV's in a AS 73 and it was a killer guitar.

9. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    I have a used Artcore 75. I confess I have found most Ibanez pick ups to be kind of vanilla. I have put in both TV classics and Surf 90's and both sound fab. The actual guitar itself is a pleasure. Maybe not super high end perfection, but major bang for your buck.

savofenno likes this.
  10. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    When I bought my 5120 in 2007 , I was leaning towards the Ibenez . Nice guitars
    Imagine that , if I bought the Ibenez , you fine folks would have never met the guy in my avatar :rolleyes:

Butch Ammon, calebaaron666 and radd like this.
  11. Pop1655

Pop1655 Gretschie

Feb 9, 2019
    Texas Hill Country
    Agree. I think the bigger #s provide better bang for the buck.

savofenno and TSims1 like this.
  12. capnhiho

capnhiho Gretschie

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    I’ve owned an AS73 Artcore (entry-level 335 type) since about 2004. It’s always been essentially flawless in workmanship and hardware. I did eventually upgrade the pups to SD Seth Lovers (killer PAF’s!) and swapped out the wiring harness for Mojotone vintage style wiring, but that was personal preference only; the original parts were quite acceptable. I wouldn’t buy one expecting any resale value, but they are great players!

BTW: at just over 8 lbs. it’s a little on the heavy side but it’s no boat anchor. This thing feels as solid as a Tele!

13. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

I love my AF95fm so much that I recently bought a flame maple red AS93fm, but it was quite heavy. Too heavy for a semi imo. It also didn’t seem to have the mojo of my AF95fm, so I returned it. Pretty guitar though.

14. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    This is my AF95fm....:

16D28BAA-B3FE-4613-AEE2-FF305534C196.jpeg

And this was the AS93fm that I returned:

0250CB2B-43E9-4480-AA13-447A155211FC.jpeg

That hollow AF95 is a KILLER guitar. I’m blown away by it.

15. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

The Ibanez Artcore series in general are well made guitars. The lower priced guitars in the series will have the ceramic pickups, while the higher priced guitars in the series will have the Super 58 pickups (wider frequency range). Of the Super 58's, there are two versions: Super 58 Customs (made in China), and the Super 58 (made in Japan). They don't make a distinction in their ads, and frankly, I can't see a big difference, but the Super 58 pickups come in the most expensive guitars of the series.

I have had an AS73T, which was a very nice guitar, but I was moving from warm to more treble in my sound, and I currently have an AM93 with the Super 58 Custom pickups, which is an excellent guitar that suits my needs/ears well.

16. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I've had a few, not bad at all. Most I didn't come away raving about though. Not sure what it was. But I've had trouble bonding with semi hollow or hollow guitars in the last 15 years for some reason. The George Benson I have now (not sure if that's in the Artcore series or not) is killer for what I do with it and way above the other Artcores I've tried. The previous AG85 was good too.
    If buying Artcore, get yourself a bargain, they can go pretty cheap if you look around and will have to go cheap if you decide to sell. I bought this AG85 for $325 shipped with A new pair of Seth Lover HB's in it and stock pickups too and a hard case. In the end I preferred a Gretsch G3161 I bought. to the AG85
    [​IMG]

17. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    I really like mine. These guitars offer a lot at the $500 price point (used). I got my Artcore AF-105F-NT at the Musicians Friend scratch and dent store. It was missing it's tailpiece and bridge and was only $200. I loved the natural finish with the flame maple so I fixed her up! The other is a Artstar AF-255 "Blue Lagoon" and is one of the most beautiful guitars I have, and I play it a lot too! Ibanez AF105F-NT.jpeg Ibanez AF-255.jpeg

savofenno and new6659 like this.
  18. Grez

Grez Electromatic

Apr 29, 2015
    Petaluma, CA
    I've encountered two over the years, don't recall the exact model. In both cases, they were perfectly reasonable instruments, especially for the money, but both had lifeless pickups. With new pups, they were very nice. New models might have better pickups now or as mentioned above, the higher line guitars may have upgraded pickups, but at least keep some budget aside just in case you like everything about the guitar except the pickups.

19. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Yep, bland pickups for sure. Here's me messin around on the AS73 once she got TV'd up, classic+ in back, classic in front, no complaints about that guitar.

savofenno, calebaaron666 and Henry like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice