I Want Your Input! Ordering Gretsch for Chicago Music Exchange

Discussion in 'Commercial Sellers, Dealers and Manufacturers' started by EdwardsKim, Aug 13, 2019.

1. EdwardsKim

EdwardsKim Gretschie

May 11, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Hello friends,

As some of you may know, I started at CME about two months ago now. It's been a joyous ride thus far and I'm loving how much input I've been able to have.

But this morning, I was asked to work on something special.

We're looking to order some more Gretsch guitars, and they've asked me to have input on which ones we should order!

We are definitely in need of: 6120s, White Falcon, Duo Jet (Cadillac Green, Sparkle, and Black).

Take a look at our website and you'll see all of our current Gretsch guitars stock. I think we're good on Broadkasters and Penguins. I'm trying to focus more on the core designs and colors.

But I want YOUR help. I'm not coming to you as a salesperson but as a fellow Gretsch nerd and to see what we want as a group. I want people to come in and play these things.

For reference:
    https://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/collection/professional?sort=new
    https://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/edition/vintage-select?sort=new
    https://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/edition/players?sort=new

P.S. We are still getting all the new Hot Rods, Magpie Signature, 6120 Smoke, etc. Here's a link to the pre-order Gretsch coming https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/search?make=gretsch&query=Pre-order&type=reverb

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    ishtar likes this.
  2. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

I'd just stick to what you think will sell the fastest. Turnover=profit=success. CME is a good company, but no one wants to have a gazillion dollars tied up in an inventory that just sits.

Jelly Roll Horton and Merc like this.
  3. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    Maybe think about the model years with features that appeared just once or twice, and people keep asking about. The 2004 Falcons come to mind: vertical logo, winged inlays, Filtertrons.

Along the same lines, I waited for a very long time to find a double cut White Falcon.

EdwardsKim likes this.
  4. Sabato

Sabato Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Rocky has more than one choice in that, but this one was built special for StreetSounds with the Ray Butts pickups:
    http://www.streetsoundsnyc.com/gretsch-g6136t-62-white-falcon-street-sounds-exclusive-guitar-ss2603

5. EdwardsKim

EdwardsKim Gretschie

May 11, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Ha, that's a good point. Though I would say for Gretsch, they're really unpredictable in terms of market value/how long it takes to move them both on the used market AND retail shops.

T Bone likes this.
  6. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    @T Bone nailed it if you ask me.

It’s all customer based. If it were my store I would consider the current selling price range my customers were buying. Which is likely low and middle range assuming it’s not an only high end guitar store (mainly Streamliners and Electromatics). Followed by one or two pro guitars. Although CME size may dictate and allow a larger high end stock.

7. A suggestion.... Stock more left handed Gretsches than any other retailer! Some at all levels with bigsbys, filters, and dynas! A few with “Ishtar” on the truss rod cover! Okay! That’s my two cents!

T Bone, MotorCentaur and EdwardsKim like this.
  8. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Synchromatic

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Electromatics, for sure, but I don’t know the margins on those either. I know the 2 I have are really nice guitars , and very affordable

EdwardsKim likes this.
  9. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Electros are a dime a dozen imo. Every guitar store I go in these days is loaded down with all the mid-priced stuff.

I go out of my way to my local Ken Stanton Music BECAUSE they actually stock Prolines.

If it were me, I’d make sure I had a coupla 6120s. Two REALLY great Jets at all times. A couple of Setzer HotRods because people love em. And then maybe two of the Player Edition models for the progressives.

10. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    @TSims1 suggestion for prolines sounds good as long as you have a huge professional musician base or big online sales presence which I would guess CME does.

I still imagine Streamliners and Electromatics would be a good stock in today’s economy.

EdwardsKim likes this.
  11. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    The new Steve Wariner Signature model

Ricochet, TSims1 and EdwardsKim like this.
  12. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Yup, I'd make the occasional road trip to (or order from) Chicago for a good steady selection Pro-lines. We've got a fairly decent and reliable selection of Electros & Streamliners at the local big box stores. We're pretty much at the mercy of what comes in used
    unless you take a ~250+ mile round trip to a couple of independent shops in Kentucky if you're looking for a decent (really any) selection of new Pro-lines. Definitely a good move to have some floor space and plenty in the warehouse on the Electros, but I generally order from CME on higher end stuff that I can't find locally.

Seems like there's generally a shortage of in stock, more traditional Jet models too, but that might just have been when/where I was looking for them... Not sure how big of sellers they are vs. the big hollows, but they sure aren't going to sell if no one has them.

My personal wish list in Gretsch land has an Anni or a Duffy Falcon & Dyna models left on it it at the moment, but I wouldn't posit a guess on how well those would sell to the general Gretsch buying public & I have no immediate plans to try and order any. The Vintage Select line has way more tempting examples for me on it than the Professional or Player lines, but all this is just one consumer's opinion.

EdwardsKim likes this.
  13. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Synchromatic

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    This is a marketing department question. I don’t mean to be rude, but surely CME works with a marketing firm that can identify their target market demographic and tailor an advertising message and image that will guide them in their product offering decisions. Kim, if you are now the marketing and sales manager, be sure to also consult with your marketing firm. (I probably don’t need to tell you that. I apologize if I’ve overstepped my bounds).

If CME does not have a strong marketing firm (highly unlikely, but if not, shame in them), this forum is a good place to start, but it is a small market sampling and unlikely to give you a clearly defined -or even accurate- direction.

Gretsch might also be willing to divulge which models they have identified as popular sellers, and assist you in your choices (but they may also only recommend models they’re trying to move.)

I worked in advertising and marketing for 37 years, and I found the most important tool for success was professional research.

14. EdwardsKim

EdwardsKim Gretschie

May 11, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    This is not a marketing department question. Marketing at CME does not handle the purchasing of merchandise nor do they look at metrics of what we sell/buy etc. I didn't take your message as rude, however :)

This isn't really a be-all-end-all for what CME will use to determine what to order for our new Gretsch inventory. I came here to talk guitars and get a feel of what everyone is wishing retail shops would have in stock. That's it.

larryb and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  15. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Synchromatic

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I’m glad I didn’t offend you.That certainly wasn’t my intent. As a retired marketer, it’s hard not to look at business decisions (even those that are none of my business) from a marketing standpoint. And CME is a huge success, and one cannot really argue with that! :)

EdwardsKim likes this.
  16. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    That's my kind of shop, personally. You'd never get away w/ it at a publicly traded and/or primarily profit driven organization, but it gives me hope if you can do as well as CME seems to if that's the case.

17. EdwardsKim

EdwardsKim Gretschie

May 11, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    And as I've found out the last 6 years or so, there really is only wisdom to be spread in this forum. ;)

I should say that, marketing department as well as all the other departments work hand-in-hand to ensure the success of the company. But my general point was that I didn't want to come off as fielding marking related questions because there's a specific department that is in charge of buying new merchandise which is separate from marketing.

18. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    AMEN!!! Bring on the Prolines...The only time I may catch a glimpse of a Proline at my GC, is on the used rack.

I like Tony's ideas for inventory as well:cool:

EdwardsKim and TSims1 like this.
  19. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    New Setzers especially that orange one and the Blue Burst!

EdwardsKim and larryb like this.
  20. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    If I walked into a music store and saw one of those Magenta HR's hanging on the wall; I would probably find a way to buy it:cool:

Bertotti likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice