I want to add a Strat Pickup to the middle position of my Custom T Armond's guitar

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by motw, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Also a TA is pretty hefty in output compared to the average Strat pickup. Make sure the SC’s output can compete in the middle positions. So no vintage neck SCs...;)

2. motw

motw Electromatic

Jun 14, 2018
    CHile
    OH, thanks for th reply! I was told that playing with poles height I could solve this. Which strat pick up do you recommend?

3. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Well, I like my Strat pickups vintage-y!
    My favourite Strat SC is the Fender CS Fat50 but those would be useless in your situation.

Sorry. Adjusting height of the pole pieces does not fix output discrepancies(it’s strictly to balance string to string volume)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  4. motw

motw Electromatic

Jun 14, 2018
    CHile
    Oh, so which one would you recommend?

5. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Hi @motw,

Here are some shorts samples, better than a description... ;)

A mix between a set of Gretsch HS FilterTron and one center Lipstick pickup :

[​IMG]

The 3rd riff is the center Lipstick alone.

https://soundcloud.com/tubelectron/dc59c-minerva-verde-clean-funkmp3

A "Strat set" of 3 Lipstick pickups :

[​IMG]

The 3rd riff is the middle Lipstick alone.

https://soundcloud.com/tubelectron/r05-0009mp3-1

These ARTEC Lipstick pickups are Korean-made, well-built, very cheap and sound great. I bought them via eBay.

They exist in AlNiCo (LSA-...) and Ceramic (LSC-...), in 72mm lenght (Strat format) and 82mm (Danelectro format) and in chrome (...-C), gold (...-G) and black (...-B).

They are wound at 6K for the 72mm and 7.5K for the 82mm, so they match the output level of standard pickups. They have 2 wire plus GND shield, and you can find them RWRP also.

And since they are completely enclosed, they are very well protected agains hum and RF noises.

A+!

6. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I have no idea. I don’t use hot single-coils except the SD quarterpounder, but I feel that might be too hot.

7. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Since your guitar looks so stylish and nice as it is, I would hesitate to throw a Strat-pu in.

8. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Experimenting is fun but first off buy or make a second pickguard. Use it for your experiments. Don't mess with the one you have that way you can always go back and possibly have a second guard ready to go just load your Ts in as needed or load it with something else.

BorderRadio likes this.
  9. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Just want to mention that most lipstick pickups will be way quieter than a T-Armond.

You have a nice custom built guitar. IMO, don't compromise because of cost. A 3rd T-Armond would be the way to go I feel. If you had a Ferrari, you wouldn't glue on a Autozone (local cheap parts store) rear spoiler.

Alanqa, Henry, DennisC and 1 other person like this.
  10. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Fair enough man, it is after all your guitar :)
    I understand wanting 1Meg pots but again, any other type of pickup you put in the middle, and how you wire it and what pot values are used will affect it’s sound. A Strat pickup on 1Meg will cut ears off, just saying. How will do you plan on switching it with out a blade switch?

Because you are only interested in quacking (or so it seems), I would even try some inexpensive Ali Express low-wind AlNiCo Strat pickups. A set of three cost me 25 bucks, and sounded perfect. I preferred them to the Rose Mariposas that I replaced them with. I’d avoid anything heavily overwound actually, but within a set of ‘vintage’ wound Strat pickups, I’d use the one with the highest resistance.

Speaking of wind count, keep in mind that a given coil resistance with a finer wire gauge is not the same as a heavier gauge wire at the same turn count. Assuming TVJ uses 44 AWG wire on the neck pickup, wound @7.8k, the 42 AWG equivalent resistance would be 4.99k. Well near what many vintage Strat pickups are wound to. If the gauge used in the T-A neck is 43AWG, the equivalent resistance with 42AWG is 6.47k.

Also, most T-A sets come with the neck top South, and the bridge top North. I have easily swapped magnets between T-As to reverse this, for example when I wanted noise cancelling with a vintage DeArmond 2000T, I took my bridge pickup magnets and put them in the neck T-A. You can check your set with any inexpensive compass, just remember opposites attract :)

11. motw

motw Electromatic

Jun 14, 2018
    CHile
    Hi, thanks for the reply! I will do that!

Bertotti likes this.
  12. motw

motw Electromatic

Jun 14, 2018
    CHile
    HI. The T Armonds are too expensive for me to get another one, plus, my intention is to add a different colour. Thanks for the advice!

13. motw

motw Electromatic

Jun 14, 2018
    CHile
    Oh man, I would really like some help in which to choose based on your info. I do want to combine TA's twang with some Strat quack.

Again, I have a notion of what you are talking about, but I would need help in choosing a pickup with all this info.

Any strat pickup (neck or middle, I don't know the diff) that will work in my actual setting? Assuming I have to change the circuit. The Starwood stra from tv jones are too expensive for me now.

14. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Any Strat pickup will work, but what it will sound like is anybody’s guess. I’ve spent way more quality time with DeArmond 2000/Dynasonic types than any Strat pickup, but still they are not too far off from each other than some might think. In other words, I think you’ll get some cool Stratty sounds with your planned mods.

If I was trying to get something inexpensive, I’d get the cheap eBay MIC pickups (‘Donlis’). There is nothing magical about pickups, and the Strat pickup has been reproduced for decades now, the formula for a good Strat pickup is not unknown. I’d look for something around 6-7k , AlNiCo 5 slugs, staggered. In most cases, there is nothing different from the neck to bridge position pickups, though sometimes the bridge is overwound with a thinner wire gauge. With magnet swaps relatively easy on the T-A, you can pick which quack settting is RWRP, but unfortunately you will not be able to get both quack settings RWRP.

You’ll need to figure out the control circuit you want. I’d delete the independent volumes on each T-A, and instead use 250k volume pot on the Strat pickup, and a switch on the other deleted pot to switch in the Strat pickup with any combination on the toggle. Master volume and master tone stay intact. A six way rotary switch on a deleted pot would also be an option, but you’d have to ‘dummy’ the toggle or put the rotary in the same position (awkward).

15. motw

motw Electromatic

Jun 14, 2018
    CHile
    Does this means that the strat pickup in the middle will not be noise cancelling with both the neck and bridge? Would I have to choose?

My idea is to get a 5 positions switch. Get rid of the independent volumen control for the TA's and only use independent volumen controls on the neck and middle PUs, like a strat. Master stays the same. Another option would be to have independent tone controls for the neck and middle PU to control brightness, the problem is that in this configuration the master volumen becomes useless. (as the other volume control would act as a master)

16. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
  17. motw

motw Electromatic

Jun 14, 2018
    CHile
    Thanks!
    I read in the tech specs that the bridge pickup has a lot more output. Is that one very different in tone than the neck and middle?

18. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    I’m no expert with Strat pickups but I’d second the lipstick option. Seymour Duncan made a lipstick for Strat that sounds absolute killer. I have one on the neck position of my Kay that I’m sure it will work great. I’d look for one of those. Very quiet and powerful.

19. motw

motw Electromatic

Jun 14, 2018
    CHile
    Hi, thanks for the reply! Do those have the quack I want to blend in? Does it have a good lead sound in the middle? I can't seems to find convincing samples of it.

20. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Probably, my main concern here is the volume balance. If the volume output is lob sided towards one pickup you won’t get good quack anyway. Could be wrong though.
    Don’t let the 9K scare you. It’s not twice as loud as a 4.5K pickup, just a bit beefier.
    Plus interestingly it uses A5 for the EAD strings and A2 for GBe.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice