I want a amp built for me

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by noelweller, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    I have some Red Oak sitting here someone can make use of!

2. Scott

Scott Country Gent

Jun 27, 2008
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Never get tired of looking at that Black Falcon!

3. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Gretschie

Nov 22, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    A pair of fixed bias 6V6's will put out anywhere from 15 to 25 watts.

A pair of fixed bias 6L6's on the other hand will get you anywhere from 30 to 50 watts.

Neil Young had his main 5E3 modded with bigger transformers and put in 6L6's (still in cathode bias I believe).

To mod a normal 5E3 for 6L6's you'd need a bigger power transformer and possibly a bigger output transformer, then you'd need to change that shared power tube cathode resistor. Not too hard to do if you're building your own. This would turn a 5E3 into a sort of 5D8 tweed Twin (I built myself a 5D8 and it was AWESOME).

Nice woodworking... I'm very jealous of your skills.

4. Poppatwang

Poppatwang Synchromatic

Jun 2, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    Hey Johnny, what's a single el34 put out? I know it's plenty dang loud.

5. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Gretschie

Nov 22, 2008
    Fullerton, CA

I think about 10 watts.

Heck, 5 watts is pretty dang loud :)

6. roadjunkie

roadjunkie Country Gent

Jul 4, 2008
    Middletown,PA
    When I got this Allen Chassis he told me it is 10 watts with the 6l6. I asked if there would be a problem if I tried a 6V6 or EL34. Nay on the 6V6 and he didn't think there would be a problem with the el-34 but he wasn't thinking in that direction. I might have to try it. I have a single Sovtek around here along with a Chinese KT-66 and an EH KT-88. I might have to try them!

7. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Gretschie

Nov 22, 2008
    Fullerton, CA

Depends on the circuit... especially the OT and the power tube's cathode resistor. It also depends on the power tube's socket wiring (most octal tubes are the same in the socket).

Barring cathode biasing, as long as the power transformer can provide the proper voltage and enough current you only have to worry about the Output Transformer and trying to match impedance between the power tube's plate and the speaker impedance...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice