I wanna get a looper

Discussion in 'Guitar & Gear Reviews' started by TheMicster, Jul 24, 2018.

I've looking at the boss RC30 and the Jamman JML2 stereo. leaning towards the Jamman a bit pissed that it doesn't have Phantom power for a condenser mic but still think it might be the way to go.
    So two things i'm wanting to know,
    1) i did hear that both company's are going to release new updated versions of these pedals soon, Is this true, if so how soon.
    2) Also, what are other peoples experiences and preferences with these and is there anything else people can recommend.
    I have seen some reviews on youtube and various sites but getting real independent advice is difficult. Also there is actually no direct comparisons.

Cheers Mic.

Charlie westside likes this.
  1. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I cant help with those but bought the Ditto due to it's extreme ease of use. I had a older Boss, forget which model and had trouble using it .... especially at a gig. prior to that had the complicated Gibson Oberheim Echoplex looper.

2. Sarah93003

Sarah93003 Friend of Fred

I've been wanting to get an Ikai Headrush 2 since hearing KT Tunstall using one for Black Horse and a Cherry Tree. You can find lots of reviews on the various brands on YouTube.

Part 2

thunder58 and TheMicster like this.
  3. Chris MC

Chris MC Gretschie

Oct 27, 2014
    Orange, Aus
    I also want to get a looper, on a less ambitious scale. Mostly for practicing by myself, rythem and lead. Pretty simple requirements fir me really, record, loop, stop. I have the MOEER, which was cheap and OK, but leaves me a little flat, finniky to use. Thinking about the Bose, the plain one RC1, and the one with all the flashing lights and a drum kit RC3. Not sure yet.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  4. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496 Electromatic

Jan 2, 2018
    USA
    I absolutely love my Boss RC 300. Had it for about 5 years now. The bias is that I've never had any other looper, though.

TheMicster likes this.
  5. Hah cool, no stuffing around straight to the top. They're around $700.00 aud here but their probably the best.

6. gjohnson441496

Jan 2, 2018
    USA
    That is quite expensive. I paid $500 US for mine

7. gjohnson441496

Jan 2, 2018
    USA
    ...But my point is I like the Boss Looper

8. Strato67

Strato67 Gretschie

Oct 19, 2016
    Texas
    I use a 60 dollar Joyo...you can record up to 20 mins at a time....great pedal to get going in the looper age.

9. Mark W

Mark W Country Gent

Jun 6, 2008
    Central Florida
    You can get a cheap looper for around 30 bucks from (Amoon) China. Very basic but then again...

10. Yeah i know, i just thought i would go for something mid range.
    Actually i know that some of the vocal processors have looper functions on them maybe its more prudent to buy one of those and get more functionality.
    i don't know.

11. Mark W

Mark W Country Gent

Jun 6, 2008
    Central Florida
    Lotsa options out there right now. Good Luck!

12. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Great stuff the Joyo

13. DougCraft

DougCraft Gretschie

Apr 24, 2018
    Northern Colorado
    I had a Boomerang, an original Jam Man, and more recently a Boss RC20 (?). I did not get to spend a lot of time with the Boss, but the control was not intuitive, so I sold it. I now have the Digitec Jam Man and it is OK - but also a bit non-intuitive for live looping. I had good luck with a Line 6 DL4, but only for doing ambient and noise loops that provided texture. The DL4 was the easiest to use.

The problem with loopers for me is that I have never practiced enough to get them to be reliable in a performance situation. Plus - I have been spoiled by Ableton Live and Acid Pro where I can set the tempo and use time-based efx with the music. Now I mostly record new loops and use them in Ableton or Acid, rather than trying to pull off a live one-man-band for a performance set.

So my recommendation would be to get the cheapest digital delay that features a looping function and play with it to see if you can realistically use it in a performance setting. If the answer is Yes - then I would go for the fancy Boss unit where you can store multiple loops and call them up for a performance set and layer them in tempo.

TheMicster likes this.
  14. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Synchromatic

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    It depends on what you want it for. I have the Ditto Stereo looper. It's a great looper. I mainly use it to practice. No drum machines or metronome. just a looper. It has a USB so if I like my loop I can store it on my laptop, I-pad or desk top.

TheMicster likes this.
  15. Great answer Doug, being able to use it in a live situation is what its about. This vocal processor is looking more like the go.

DougCraft likes this.
  16. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Synchromatic

May 20, 2016
    Australia
    As said above. It depends what you want it for.

I've had the Jamman for years. With an extended sd card you can store a gigs worth of stuff.

I use it for song writing and the mic input is essential.

An idea or hook pops into your head you can instantly put down a verse or chorus. Go to next track work on the the rest, transfer the loop to multiple channels and then link them up.

To do this the drum beat / metronome and multi channels are essential.

You can still just put down a rythm track and play or record a lead over it.

A simple looper without timing and mic input would be useless for any professional purpose IMO and the Jamman has been great.
    The latest one is even better.

TheMicster likes this.
  17. fender62custom

fender62custom Gretschified

Mar 3, 2012
    Helidon, Australia
    a trip into Melbourne may be on the cards.... road testing them in store would be ideal

TheMicster likes this.
  18. Frank_NH

Frank_NH Synchromatic

Mar 25, 2013
    Lebanon, NH
    I can relate my experiences with loopers.

I used to own a Boss RC-20. It's a good basic looper with many useful features, and I liked that it could accept both vocal mic and guitar inputs. I used it for practicing and some limited recording - in fact, if you hooked a microphone to the looper, you could practice Everly Brothers style vocal harmonies (which is quite challenging and fun :)).

I did attempt to use it live, but the main issues I encountered were:

(1) Making sure your guitar levels were correct so when you overdub the background guitar isn't too loud or soft. Sometimes, I had trouble hearing the background loop in a noisy open mic bar situation, which made playing over it a challenge.

(2) Trying to get the background guitar part synced up so that it didn't glitch at the end of the loop. Often, I would record a loop and the loop would end abruptly and start at the beginning giving a noticeable hicup in track. This is very song dependent and sometimes not too noticeable. But if you're playing a part with lots of rhythm and chord changes, you have to be very precise about hitting the pedal switch to end the loop or else it sounds bad and out of time. And nothing kills a performance more than having to rerecord your loop mid-song due to a glitch...:eek:o_O

I know some guys who gig a lot and use loopers effectively, so I know it can be done and that my issues were likely more due to lack of practice and experience. Still, I became a bit jaded about looping live and now prefer just my solo guitar and vocal.

If you're looking for a good live looping pedal, definitely get a dedicated looper (the delay or vocal with looper pedals I've seen were always less than ideal). I prefer ones like the Boss RC-20 or Digitech Jam Man with large foot switches, which make precise activation easier. You may also want a looper that quantizes according to a user tap tempo beat. This helps to reduce the off-time glitches I referred to above as it adds a little time to your loop if needed to stay on the beat. Of course, if you practice your timing it may not be essential. And if you do live looping, make sure you can have the output running through a monitor so you can hear it and be in sync.

If you want some inspirational looping examples, check out any recent solo performance YouTube videos by Phil Keaggy. He got into solo looping in the 90s and is considered one of the masters. :cool:

DougCraft and TheMicster like this.
  19. Yeah i agree, that's why i looked at the mid range pedals. I'm leaning towards the Jamman, i just can't understand why no phantom power. Also do know what the looper function on the voice live extreme is like, i know that pedal is in a it's in a different price bracket but it sort of kills two birds with one stone so to speak.

That's probably the truth of it i suppose, it just to test them in the store properly really takes some time, and then trying to work out how the different brands operate and stuff, finding out you've missed something the pedal can't do after you've bought it. That's why i thought i get some feedback here first, but i agree that "try before you buy" is the best way.

Thank you Frank for taking the time to explain your experience, this is definitely the input i'm after.
    Cheers Mic.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice