I Wanna be Nocturnized!

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by stiv, Nov 21, 2018.

1. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Hello fellas,
    I need an advice from you Nocturne Pedals owners (and hopefully also from the Jedi Master Tavo Vega) about what it could be the right unit for me.
    My needs: I have a very (very. Kustom-like) clean italian boutique amp. Point to point with top of the line components, military specs built, all-Mullard tubes (pre and main), custom made speaker, reverb to die for. It's a single channel, master volume (it has 2 volumes, one for the bass section and one for the treble section, and a master), uber-clean amp. With all maxed (pre and master) it does produce a very light crunch (I would call it more like a "clean saturation"), the problem is that even at 25w (it's a 25/40w switchable) it's not usable on live situations because it's really loud (AC30 loud, even more because it's clean like spring water...). I always used sim pedals with it (at the amp eat them absolutely great) but I'm a bit sick of them as you loose the amp sound (which is great) so I was thinking about a pre that could stay on all the time and just crunches the amp (dirty blues/rockabilly crunch, nothing too heavy or overdriven) and nothing better than a Nocturne came to my mind to do the job.
    Yesterday I went through all the Nocturne Youtube footage again only to be more confused about what pedal would really fill my needs. I'm giving up on big pedal boards so I'll probably run it with my (t)rusty Memory Man and a Tone Bender (for soloing) so nothing too complicated upfront.

What do you guys think? Dynobrain? Billy Brain (but I don't really need the boost mode, I would like to use it like a preamp all the time) because of the master volume? Jr.Barnyard? maybe some old Brain Seltzer?
    I'm looking forward to join the family!

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  2. Outlaw

Outlaw Synchromatic

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    For me it would be the Dynobrain.
    You can't go wrong with that bad boy!

CaliforniaSlim and stiv like this.
  3. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Atomic Brain.

stiv likes this.
  4. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Interesting... Would you use the Abby as well all the time on to give it and extra punch?

5. dankas11

dankas11 Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    Croatia
    Absolutely Atomic Brain. It stays on all the time and also can give you a little crunch. abby you can use for solos, or also you can have it all the time on. depends on your playing. Problem is customs, it would be great if you have somenone in USA so he can bring it to you. I do it sometimes and sometimes I just pay more because I forget about it the moment I turn on the guitar and pedals! I have 6 Nocturne pedals and two new are on the way! BTW Barnyard is not a bad solution too.

audept and stiv like this.
  6. dankas11

dankas11 Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    Croatia

7. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Yes, I guess the "someone in the US" will be my option as well. I got a couple of friends that do the route from time to time (every month or 2) that they usually bring me gifts from the Gretsch factory...;)
    I'm very tempted from the Barnyard as well. It sounds a bit of a "coloring" pedal (at list for what I've heard on the tube) but it's a great "color". The bad thing is that here in Italy there's very few Nocturne pedals so I can't talk to anyone I know that owns or have owned one to have a directly opinion, let alone try it.

8. dankas11

dankas11 Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    Croatia
    Pescadoro is coming soon to me , it has Barnyard on it. I am also interested in difference between brain and barnyard, but trust me, you can not go wrong with the Brain. I play rnr and rockabilly(more straycats neo rockabilly version) even some punk and it is always on. I gave the Brain pedal to my friend from the band who also plays in one of the most Popular Croatian punk/ska bands and he also has it always on.

9. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    The only one i have right now is a Atomic Brain and as i read your post i kept thinking that it does exactly what you want. I also hope to get a Jr Barnyard or El pesco soon.

10. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I just purchased a used Atomic Brain over a Dyno. It was a toss up for me. After some recommendations here I was finally convinced for an Atomic over a Dyno by finding this video which you’ve probably seen.

The difference was night and day so I figured it would be a great feature to have on tap and might even leave it on all the time. I’m waiting for it to be delivered today.

Someone here also recently posted a used metallic teal one which might still be available and would probably ship to your friend. I think it might’ve been a Christmas edition years ago. But the current Candy yellow one also looks fantastic with a smaller foot print if needed.

The new Pescadoro is on my list for sometime next year, which I believe is a slight variation of a JR plus Reverb. It would be great if someone here did a side by side comparison of the Pecadoro, JR, and an Atomic to help decide which flavor suits yours style.

Lionpotato and stiv like this.
  11. nasonm

nasonm Gretschie

Nov 3, 2010
    New England, USA
    I like them both (Dyno & Atomic) but for my playing, I'm happy with the standard Dyno.

stiv likes this.
  12. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    If budget permits I would do both the Atomic Brain and the Jr Barnyard. I really like the Jr Barnyard. You could go whole hog and go for El P and MB. I think you would like either it will come down to personal preference for sure. Have you listened to Tavo's vids on Instagram? I didn't know if I wanted the abbey mode but in the end, I went with a Mystery Brain and I find like the abbey mode. Is there anyone in your area with either of the pedals you could try?

stiv likes this.
  13. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Sure I love El Pescadoro (the Tommy Harkenrider Nocturne impro is a thing of beauty... but I'm not even close to be that good, maybe it wouldn't work that way with me..:)), still my Lombardi amp has a real good reverb, I like it more than a Fender. The Jr. Barnyard as well sounds awesome, but it has his own sound and it sounds less "transparent" than an Atomic or a Dyno (althoug it's maybe the one with the higher crunch). I have to say that the Tele sound on Tavo's website DynoBrain page is really impressing... that is the kind of crunch I'd like to achieve but my amp is a lot more clean than the one the guy is using.

14. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    The question is how much of a boost the front end of your amp will need to drive it to more crucnch if that is what your after.

Merc, stiv and CaliforniaSlim like this.
  15. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Exactly.
    I'm not after something overdriven. A Setzer crunch could be enough...:).
    I'm not really into having a pre AND a boost always on (I tried to do the same with a Fulltone Fat Boost. Didn't work out: all the other pedals I tried to add were out of control...), but I guess that Atomic may be the choice. Unless I'll settle for the max crunch a Dyno could give me (even without try one).

16. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    If Tavo isn’t floating around here now to answer, you could try his email from the Nocturne site too. He might be able to help you decide with what other pedals you’re using as well.

17. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    That is quite a lot of drive!
    There`s a loud crunchy Bassman with a preamp in front of it at work! That`s far from clean.
    So if you got a very clean amp I would suggest a BillyBrain to get you there.

18. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Love my Atomic and Mystery Brains. My impression was the Dyno was designed to work better w/ MV amps (?), but I've never tried one (most of my amps are non-MV). I'm also excited to get my El Pescadoro so I can add the Barnyard Jr. to the pallet, but I sort of expect it to be a bit less "transparent" than the Brains.

I don't think I've run into a guitar/amp/other pedal combo that the normal preamp on the Atomic/Mystery Brains doesn't improve both the sound and the feel of for me running it at (or very close to) the front of the signal path. Using Abby to induce (more) crunch is a bit more hit or miss for me, it's probably a 50/50 proposition as to whether it works awesome pushing the downstream pedals/amp(s) or winds up overly crispy/shrill for my tastes, but that's a very subjective thing w/ a lot of other variables involved so YMMV for sure.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    TV the Wired Turtle and stiv like this.
  19. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Have you considered something like the Ubangi?

20. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I love his products but I don't see how a preamp will allow you to have breakup at lower volumes. It will give you more breakup at higher volume.

If you're looking for some nice breakup, maybe the junior barnyard. Shrunken brain may also work but is gainier.

TV the Wired Turtle and stiv like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice