I tried Monel strings finally

Discussion in 'Guitar & Gear Reviews' started by Wozob, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Martin Retro 12s, and they sound really great. They'll be my go to strings on my Eastman AR805CE archtop Jazz guitar from now on. I like them better than the Thomastik Jazz Bebops I have on this guitar usually. The Monels bring out the acoustic quality more. Without this forum I'd probably never even knew they existed, so thank you.

IMG_0809.jpg

ZackyDog, Ylikessu, Ricochet and 2 others like this.
  2. johnny g

johnny g Gretschie

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    Great looking Guitar. I am glad you like monels they do have a great twang.

Wozob likes this.
  3. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    My favorite strings!

Wozob likes this.
  4. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Superb looking Eastman! You were saying something? :)

Wozob likes this.
  5. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Mmh, these are acoustic strings. Isn't that suboptimal, when using a pickup?

Wozob likes this.
  6. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Enjoy . Beautiful guitar my friend

Wozob likes this.
  7. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    That’s the joy of Monel. It’s a nickel alloy that’s magnetic. Works great on electrics too. Sounds like pure nickel with better acoustic qualities.

8. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Interesting hint about volume of wound strings being lower than unwound strings:

PS: That is something I also noticed with Thomastik Jazz Swing, though the difference is less extreme.

Wozob likes this.
  9. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Yes, i had to adjust my pickups a bit. Well worth it.

Wozob likes this.
  10. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Thanks for posting that. I don't experience that much of a difference, but I can see it could be problematic for some. Thomastiks aren't bass heavy compared to other brands. Lighter gauge on de bass strings and wound with pure nickel. Both Jazz Swings and BeBops. I'm used to that sound.

11. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Good, I may finally straighten out my pickups. They’re generally lowered on the bass side.

Wozob likes this.
  12. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    I play TI Jazz Swing in .10-.44 on my Panther and the wound strings have a nice woody tone, but the two treble strings are slightly louder, which doesn't happen with D'Adarrio XL for example.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Wozob likes this.
  13. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Are they mostly an archtop/jazz guitar kind of thing? Is there any benefit from an amplified standpoint or a feel standpoint? IE, does the lower acoustic volume of the wound strings translate into lower wound amplified volume?

Wozob likes this.
  14. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    They’re acoustic strings that work well on electrics. Makes more sense on a (semi) hollow body. Might work great on a solid body, but haven’t tried it.

15. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    The specs say, that it is a nickel copper mix wound on a hex core.

Wozob likes this.
  16. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Maybe it's not the material but the thickness of the wounds?

Wozob likes this.
  17. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    I think it's mainly the material. It has a reason, that bronze is used for acoustics and nickel for electrics. If you use electric strings on an acoustic, it's less loud and lacks brilliance, right?

Monel was developed in the 1930s, right? A compromise for Jazz guitars to give them more acoustic punch than pure nickel strings? And it has less corrosion issues as pure nickel, which might be a further or even the main reason for the invention of Monel back in the days.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Wozob and Ricochet like this.
  18. russmack

russmack Country Gent

May 1, 2017
    ballina australia
    I hafta confess to buying three sets of Elixir bronze Nanowebs a couple of months ago.

It was my fault that I didn't see the print that said 'Bronze'. Phosphor bronze was what I really wanted.

But I've still got one set that I don't think I'll ever use for anything.

Possibly useful for a garrote perhaps. lol

Electric strings on an acoustic shouldn't be any problem if you use heavy gauge.

I'm doing okay with .011 .052 strings for my acoustics, and I can't wait to get my nut set up (on my 6120) for flat-wound .011/.052 strings.

Russ

Wozob likes this.
  19. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    And that's a no-go for me personally ... I'm a pure .10s player ;)

But I only have one acoustic, a 12-string, and here there is only one set, that I will ever use: Thomastik Plectrum, superb sounding flatwounds with fantastic overtones, even in a .10 set. Love it!

Outlaw, Wozob and russmack like this.
  20. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Maybe cause nickel has magnetic properties to fascilitate the use of pickups.

I don’t see why it would and why you would want to with the different tension set.

That might be the other way round.

Again I think the Monel Came before (pure) Nickel, but I always understood Monel was more expensive both in composition and production compared to alternative alloys.

Wozob likes this.