I need a reliable 5Y3GT

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by JHowdy, Nov 25, 2019.

1. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    Hi, my 4-year old 5E3 Tweed Deluxe clone amp blew the power (mains) transformer, I just replaced it yesterday. According to the amp builder possible causes to the transformer failure could be either bad quality (inMADout TA84M18, handmade in Italy) or a faulty rectifier tube. My amp had been acting strangely for awhile after a 'proper' warm-up, usually during gigs, occasionally at band rehearsals, but never at home. And I had been using an (allegedly) NOS Sylvania JAN 5Y3WGTA from 1966 for just about two years, maybe 3-4 hours hours weekly, which is not that much?

So, maybe I ought to replace the rectifier tube just to be sure, and I'd like it to be a true NOS tube, not something that somebody had found in the trash can. Ebay offers this and that, but what I'd like to have are recommendations for a good tube from a reliable seller. Help, please?

Scrh_1529.jpg

2. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I see quotes of 15 to 40 bucks for Modern Production. God knows what they charge for a pulled NOS... I’d get at least a MP for back up or testing. Maybe JJ or TAD?

JHowdy likes this.
  3. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    Somewhat reliable looking NOS tubes start from 50 bucks. I paid about 40-50euros for my old one.

I know one store that says current production JJ rectifiers have had reliability problems and I wouldn't go for anything made in China (TAD, that is) if I don't have to. Sorry. I do drink Chinese green tea though, 3 or 4 mugs a day!

Ricochet likes this.
  4. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    A couple of examples...

This is what I've used for two years (I bought from ebay, not from this store)
    Scrh_1533.jpg

This is what that same store praises. Any good?
    Scrh_1532.jpg

G DynaTron likes this.
  5. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    You can get a couple of diodes fitted to the rectifier socket, do if the tube blows the transformer is safe. I use JAN Phillips tubes as modern ones can have too high a voltage.

JHowdy likes this.
  6. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    Yes I've seen those diode things that fit into the octal tube socket. I just don't fancy the idea of a tube amp without tubes :) - that diode thing could be used as a backup of course, but they too apply very high voltages! My amp had originally a GZ34 rectifier and the valves should take that (we just had a cathode bias / plate dissipation calculation session yesterday evening with the amp builder) and I used that rectifier for the first two years, but I do like the 5Y3 sound better - with the lower voltage that it gives to the 6V6GTs.

7. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Fair enough! Well, if you have NOS money more power to you!

JHowdy likes this.
  8. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Juhani , perhaps a " backup amp " is something to consider ( just a thought )

JHowdy likes this.
  9. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    You're dead right, Thunder-Rich, but I can't afford another Tweed Deluxe, that's for sure. I've had a few solid state amps and I didn't like any of them. All I could possibly do is to get me a tiny Fender Champ clone, made in the original style, with a 8" speaker. Or some later variant with tone control(s).

thunder58 likes this.
  10. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    They're not solid state/transistor based tubes. They're diodes which will protect the transformer if the Rectifier tube blows. Read more carfuly.

Honestly quit wasting your time with NOS unless your amp actually requires the lower voltage (which another member mentioned).

I love tube amps, but tubes are flat out unreliable. I'm not getting rid of any of the 5 that I have anytime soon, but I do have a lot of back-up tubes... Most of which are tested and known to be reliable in my amps.

Even modern production tubes can come DOA, or die very soon after very little use. They've been through air-freight and probably delivered ground by mail... I woud expect a lot more of them to fail than are reported.

11. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    Well, TBH, if I had the bucks I wouldn't be asking for "best for the buck" recommendations. Money doesn't grow in trees here either :/.

Ricochet and thunder58 like this.
  12. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I hear ya , but does it have to be a Tweed Deluxe . I'm real happy with my ( solid state ) Roland JC-40 . Go check one out if you can and keep searching . You never know what you'll find

JHowdy likes this.
  13. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    Read more carfuly? English is not my mother tongue and I don't always get if even if I read it ten times.

I've had a few faulty tubes in my hifi amp, one of them died pretty soon after arrival. I don't suppose anyone chooses a tube amp because of reliability. No, it's the tone.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    thunder58 likes this.
  14. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    Oh. I didn't understand this correctly at first read. I haven't heard of those, can you give me an example (link)?

15. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    You're right once again I guess :).

thunder58 likes this.
  16. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    JHowdy likes this.
  17. Lizardkinged

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    Ok... Not trying to be a dick... but read more carefully 11 times then cause he clearly stated that it's in the case that the TUBE itself goes it doesn't take the transformer with it...

18. drrohle

drrohle Synchromatic

Jan 3, 2014
    Hays, KS
    Don't forget about the filter capacitors leaking or shorting. They also can take out a power transformer. However the fuse should blow first regardless of what overloads the transformer. (Unless your fuse value is way too big).

19. Lizardkinged

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    It's a 4 year old clone. I'd doubt it's the filter-caps doing this.

20. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Tubes fail. That's why they were designed to be easily replaced. The diodes are an insurance item---just to protect your far more expensive transformer. I like NOS tubes as I feel they were built far better way back when. Still, tubes don't last forever, and NOS ones are pricey because there is a limited, dwindling supply.

On the other hand, it easily could've been a wonky transformer.

JHowdy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice