Join Gretsch-Talk Today

I need a new car more than a new guitar!

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by audept, Feb 8, 2018.

1. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    OK, my current vehicle was made in 2011 and was out of warranty and about to start costing me plenty for replacement parts. While I loved the car and was very happy with it, it was obvious I needed to do something about it. The friendly and helpful salesman at the dealership I bought it from arranged for me to spend a bucketload of $$$ to change up to the latest new model. The smell of new leather is as intoxicating as the smell of a new Gretsch in the case and almost as irresistible. The only downside is I now have to forget about any new guitar purchases for the foreseeable future until my finances recover. So no more NGD threads from me for a while (unless I sell some of the existing collection to bring in some cash) Also no more NPD threads in the near future. Gretschs are very versatile, but you still can't drive them to work every day! :(

MKunie, JHall55 and panhead6zero like this.
  2. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    We understand your priorities. Does the new vehicular transportation device have more leg space for the guitars and pedal cases? :D

audept likes this.
  3. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Pics or it didn't happen.

thunder58 and audept like this.
  4. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Yea man pix! Don't tell me you got one of them cars with the steering wheel on the wrong side, its hell on resale.

thunder58 and audept like this.
  5. Mal Belford

Mal Belford Gretschie

Apr 4, 2016
    Sweden
    downloadfile.jpg A car shure is a endless black pit to throw the $$$....even new one as the value drops for each mile and year passing by....

Im in for bying a used one...but maintanced....will work for me....oh well.....still a black pit to throw money in......

This is one im lookin at this weekend....Swedish...just take a look...lol. for daily use.

RomanS, MKunie, thunder58 and 2 others like this.
  6. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
  7. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    It has both, it was one of the main attraction points! :cool:

nickurso and Ricochet like this.
  8. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Gone: 2011 BMW X1 xdrive:

X1 Jan 2018 003.JPG

New: 2018 BMW X1 xdrive:

X1 Jan 2018 005.JPG

9. johnny g

johnny g Gretschie

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    I would ask the car sales person to throw in a new gretsch guitar to seal the deal.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  10. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    His name was Giuseppe. He probably would have offered me an accordion instead! ;)

11. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I like it. Looks more like a true hatchback to me. The old one looked like they just extended the roof over a sedan's luggage hold.

12. rob batz

rob batz Gretschie

Apr 17, 2014
    Bristol ct.
    I’m cannot belive a 2011 bmw wouldn’t last close to 300,000 miles no proplem ? No?

WannaGretsch likes this.
  13. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    It's a great example of good design. The new version is practically the same outside dimensions as the old one, yet there appears to be much more room inside particularly for rear passengers and those pesky Gretsch guitar cases! In fact, the interior designer (an Australian) won an international design award for his efforts! :cool:

Ricochet likes this.
  14. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I'm a low mileage driver, the vehicle had only done 50,000 miles but it was due for new brakes, new tyres, new timing chain etc.etc. It was about to cost me a huge wad of cash. Besides, the ashtray was full......

T Bone and LivingMyDream like this.
  15. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Wait a minute. What car doesn't make it past 7 years old these days? I think you're not living up to your end of the guitarist bargain here. You're only out of money for guitars if your car is completely dead or can't be traded DOWN for a running, beat up old 2000 Corolla. If you had traded in that 2011 for a proper guitarist's car, think of how many Gretsch's you could afford! ;)

audept likes this.
  16. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Aha, but I'm not a professional guitarist. I actually work for a living so I can afford to play nice Gretsch guitars and drive nice cars! :p:p

17. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I just bought a compressor and some air tools. Saved about $1500 by doing a brake rebuild on all four calipers and two parking brakes on my wife's Subaru. Gonna replace all boots next - wouldn't think of doing it anymore without the impact wrench. It makes everything a breeze...

Pdnlegs likes this.
  18. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I had a feeling you were going to say that. Professional guitarists don't normally own BMW X1s...ha ha.

• How do you get a guitarist off your front porch? Pay him for the pizza.
    • Did you hear about the drummer with the timing problem? He got depressed and threw himself behind a train.

LivingMyDream and wabash slim like this.
  19. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    A guy walks into the doctor's office and says, "Doc, I haven't had a bowel movement in a week!" The doctor gives him a prescription for a mild laxative and tells him, "If it doesn't work, let me know." A week later the guy is back: "Doc, still no movement!" The doctor says, "Hmm, guess you need something stronger," and prescribes a powerful laxative. Still another week later the poor guy is back: "Doc, STILL nothing!" The doctor, worried, says, "We'd better get some more information about you to try to figure out what's going on. What do you do for a living?" "I'm a musician, I play the guitar." The doctor looks up and says, "Well, that's it! Here's $10.00. Go get something to eat!"

20. wvincagold

wvincagold Gretschie

Jan 4, 2018
    US
    OMG!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk