I love my Gretschs, but sometimes ya just gotta quack

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by radd, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Gretschie

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    When I decided to get a "real" Fender SSS Strat (instead of a clone or copy) the color combo of this MIM model really caught my eye. Plus Top Aged Cherry Burst, about 2 months old. Fender Stratocaster Plus Top Aged Cherry Burst.jpg

2. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    So many quack addicts on a Gretsch forum! :D

TSims1 and Lionpotato like this.
  3. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Maybe some of you observed this also o_O, but I noticed that the position of the Bridge pickup had a peculiar importance in the Qwack tone.

I mean : if the Bridge PU is very close to the bridge, the Qwack effect is less pronounced.

For example, see below :

[​IMG]

These 2 solidbody guitars have the exact same pickups (2x HS FT + 1x ARTEC LSA82C), same electronic components (pots, caps), scale, roller bridge.

But as you can see, the distance between the bridge and the Bridge PU isn't the same : further on the Dano one (left) and closer on the Natural one (right).

This make a very noticeable difference between the 2 when in Middle plus Bridge position : the Dano is more Qwacky than the Natural...

I'll try to make a sample and post it to let you hear that difference ASAP. ;)

A+!

4. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I don’t quack(neck PU is my favourite) but here’s some pics.

Squier CV’60 Strat, well, what’s left of the body, everything else has been changed except for some screws and the jack plate.

[​IMG]

Fender Strat California in CAR
    627A5E26-FD23-4868-885B-99FCA94EA532.jpeg

I also have a Warmoth Strat and Fernandes MIJ Strat, but can’t be arsed to find the pics.

5. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    not a thing wrong with the neck pickup on a Strat with single coils, it can be a beautiful tone.

LivingMyDream, Ricochet and dougmon like this.
  6. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Yes, it is the Hendrix model.
    Although I understand that from a sheer physics-standpoint there should be a difference in the tone of the switched-around bridge pickup and there should be a difference in the feel because of the different string-length caused by the reversed headstock, I think these are mainly cosmetics. (And I really like these cosmetics.)
    I assume that the the stock pickups of this model should make the (very enjoyable) tonal difference to other models. Not the position of the bridge pickup alone.
    I mainly picked this model because it feels good in my hands and because of it`s outstanding sustain in the upper registers.
    Had to change the standard US vintage trem to a US vintage narrow to make it playable (high and low e-strings nearly fell off the fretboard), though.

rockinforJesus, audept and jagROAR_63 like this.
  7. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I swapped out my trem to a narrow vintage on my EC Strat for the same reason. The EC Strat has a heavily rolled fingerboard that really contributed to the E’s getting pushed off. I have since gone back to the original trem because I put a Fender made 12” radius neck on the guitar and it does not have the heavily rolled edges.

audept and loudnlousy like this.
  8. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    My personal favorite sound on my strats is just about universally the neck alone, but I can definitely appreciate the ubiquity of the quack too, I just don't have as much use for it generally as the awesome lead sound of the neck.

Here's the main implements for me when I need to get my strat on:
    [​IMG]
    Way modded Classic Series '50s strat w/ Callaham bridge & SD Antiquity IIs wired 5 way w/ master volume, tone, & blend for neck/bridge pickup. This one is set up for 1/2 step down w/ 1/2 step of float w/ .010 - .049
    [​IMG]
    Still not quite 100% finished project comprised of Warmoth roasted swamp ash body w/ roasted maple/ebony neck, LSR "nut", Hipshot contemporary bridge & open gear lockers, & Fender Pure Vintage '65 pickups (pic still has the Starwood tele neck I had in here at the middle position before going ahead & swapping for the complete PV65 set) wired 3 way w/ master V/T w/ blower switch for bridge & neck & a dedicated volume for the middle pickup (lets me dial-a-quack in any position). This one is setup for standard w/ a step of float w/ .010-.046.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  9. muku

muku Electromatic

Jan 22, 2010
    santa barbara
    Why is it in position 5 instead of 4? ;)

I have 5 strats and one amazing Gretsch so different. So FUN!

LivingMyDream likes this.
  10. DHart

DHart Synchromatic

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    Here's a Strat for Strat-loving Filter'tron lovers...

[​IMG]

Tones are fantastic!

11. dreamingGretsch

dreamingGretsch Synchromatic

Oct 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    I miss my 60s Roadworn.. I was never a Strat guy and this guitar came close to being THE strat, but when I got offered to sell it, I never had the feeling that I had to hold onto it.. for some reason, strats have been the most elusive in terms of bonding with it..

[​IMG]

12. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Hmm now that aI think about O wonder if this isn’t what @radd meant.

radd likes this.
  13. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    I think neck position is best. Then position 4(which some call 2, which is silly). Finally, the bridge pup alone with the tone rolled back EVER so slightly.

Sid Nitzerglobin and radd like this.
  14. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
  15. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    The Blizzard Pearl 60th Anni has overwound Tex Mex and the paint splash black one has first Gen Hot Noisless, they both sound great! 29200449-F0B3-4738-9651-9CCB42BD371C.jpeg DD26D2EB-1B86-4CA3-A5ED-7E4E5338B119.jpeg

16. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Blizzard Pearl for me......Love it

dougmon and Bertotti like this.
  17. TubeLife

TubeLife Gretschie

Jan 23, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Born n raised on quackers. But I like variety and Gretsch is the perfect ‘other’ variety.

99’ American Fat Strat Deluxe which I of course modded to three single coils, SD Antiquity Surfers.

56624709-3893-428D-9764-B1DFC5FAC3FD.jpeg

2010 American FSR Limited run. Removed the original black Pickguard with Alnico V pups and replaced with a 65’ Pure Vintage loaded guard. I’ll go back to the original. Also has an Alembic StratoBlaster.

076A2AC7-44FC-4B88-82FF-3BFF548CB57F.jpeg

While not Fenders, they can quack as well!!

E40286BD-FC42-456E-8B24-AF4096575A14.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  18. Teledriver

Teledriver Gretschie

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    My lead singer's '69 Strat. Totally CBS!!
    It's a quacker wanna-be...only a 3-position toggle. I had to show it to ya none the less, sorry.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

blueruins, new6659 and Mr Swisher like this.
  19. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Only got one at the moment.

2014 True Vintage 1954 60th Anniversary ,of course the knobs have cracked.:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

blueruins and new6659 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice