I like books

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Bertotti, May 31, 2019.

1. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Write more Gretsch books and I will buy them, Ed.

drmilktruck likes this.
  2. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    I lived in South Florida for 15 years and am now in North Georgia. 70% humidity in my garage, way higher in the summer. Paper manuals and books do just fine for me.

Ricochet likes this.
  3. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Good to know. According to my digital hygrometer's manual at 65% humidity it will make things moldy, anything over the alarm goes off. Maybe there is hope yet.

4. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    Touche my friend!

thunder58, drmilktruck and loudnlousy like this.
  5. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    Good point.. I do get some mold but the books don't get destroyed. I need another dehumidifer for my garage or and exhaust fan. I'll deal it when I'm done fixing my house AC, lol. Bought a $200 portable that's getting me through just fine and I finally narrowed the problem to a bad contactor coil. $20 tops.

Ricochet likes this.
  6. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Already done that. I have both of your books (2 copies of the second book). Waiting for you to write the Jet book.

drmilktruck likes this.
  7. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I guess you like the second one so much that you wanted to read it twice? :)

ishtar, Sabato and loudnlousy like this.
  8. ramjac

ramjac Gretschie

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    [Warning: math and pseudoscience] About a year ago I counted the number of unread books in my collection, then divided that number by the “average” number of books I read per year, then subtracted that number from the average life expectancy of an American male, and found that number to be significantly lower than my current age. So for years I’ve essentially been purchasing books I likely won’t live to read. As moving to Japan is probably not feasible for me, the only other way I found to address the years deficit was to start replacing some of them with audiobooks and take advantage of more hours in the day.

drmilktruck and Bertotti like this.
  9. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I have a pristine signed copy which no ever gets within a 1 yard radius of, and an unsigned one for everyone to get their grubby pawprints all over without upsetting me. :D

Sabato and loudnlousy like this.
  10. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I have a small bookshelf in my bathroom. Humor, one page stories, etc.

thunder58 likes this.
  11. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    We have 3 book shelves at our house.
    The shelf upstairs is assorted fiction, pulp novels, classics.
    The one in the living room is all of our music biographies, cinema history, etc.
    And my favorite bookcase....
    C686BA2F-EAB1-42D6-9590-6745F7FAFE92.jpeg

drmilktruck and Bertotti like this.
  12. Sabato

Sabato Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    I've read most of those, and one that was only published online as a sort of experiment. It seemed like a good idea.
    One thing that amazed me in a few of the novels there was an "intersection" common to them where the same characters shared an interaction, without calling any attention to the detail.

calebaaron666 likes this.
  13. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    We've got 9. Not entirely books, some tchotchkes, and such. But---lots of books, from paperbacks to standard sized hardback novels to coffee table books. Lots of shelves are double stacked. I saved a lot of space by getting rid of the old Britannicas and Nat'l. Geos when we moved. One small one's filled with DVDs.

The real measure of bookshelves is how many linear feet of shelving you have.

14. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Synchromatic

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    I find both he and Gene to be insufferable. I hardly even can like old Kiss music anymore, after seeing how much of a DBag that Gene is,,, and that’s sad,,, used to love early Kiss stuff

loudnlousy likes this.
  15. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Any you'd recommend, Ed? ;)

16. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    My wife is a special ed para, so she's heard many goofy thing over the years. Once a boy was drawing. He stopped, looked at her and asked, with a straight face, "Have you ever hogtied anyone?" My wife said no, and he nodded silently and resumed drawing. Wonder what was going through his head at the time. :eek:o_O

ishtar and new6659 like this.
  17. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Yes, if your talking about characters that appear in other stories but don’t really move the plot forward, there are lots and lots of those. One of my favorites is when Pennywise the Dancing Clown shows up for a hot second in The Tommyknockers. I also like how Christine, the Fury 440, shows up in IT.

Sabato likes this.
  18. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    John Waters has the absolute BEST quote about owning a book collection, but I can’t write it here. ;) A7E33E9B-563A-4936-ACB9-D2924DA77F90.gif

19. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Although a bit off-topic but still music-related.
    One of the rare novels that crossed my path:
    IMG_2652.JPG
    A fast read. It`s about the search for the Gibson Moderne. The author did his homework and wrote a cool fictional book for guitar-nerds.

20. Sabato

Sabato Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    You mean "If you go home with somebody and they don't have books..." ?
    I like this one I saw: "It wasn't until I started reading and found books they wouldn't let us read in school that I discovered you could be insane and happy and have a good life without being like everybody else.”
    ― John Waters

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice