I like books

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Bertotti, May 31, 2019.

1. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    10BA06EF-D569-4DC3-9CF3-011107F551A3.jpeg i like books and had some amazon gift cards so my wife got some wireless charging AirPods and I got a real wool jelly green derby and books!

I have Graham Donald’s Mandolin Project book which I liked so I bought two of his others and some violin books.

Attached Files:

2. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Interesting picks. Books are cool. Too bad reading has become a PITA with my deteriorating eyes. Got 500 books stashed away at my parents. Breaks my heart I'll probably can't take them to the island. Paper tends to dislike a humidity over 60% and we're running in the 90s.

pmac11, Sabato and thunder58 like this.
  3. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I'm another reader. History, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, adventure, novels, short stories, music, etc. As long as it's words in a row....

4. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    My parents owned a small chain of bookstores from the 70's-90's and I read like a madman back then.
    Now, sadly, not so much...

pmac11 and Sabato like this.
  5. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Bertotti, being that Gretsch players seem to be more "matured," I imagine that you are in good company. I've been a reader all my life, although most of my reading has been done for work purposes - as a chiropractor, and then as a minister. I'm actually looking forward to retirement and the ability to just read for fun and enjoyment.

6. Yukimajo

Yukimajo Gretschie

Nov 4, 2018
    Exeter UK
    I'm glad we have a reader's corner here! I too am an avid reader of all sorts.

pmac11, thunder58 and drmilktruck like this.
  7. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Almost exclusively non-fiction now. Lifelong reader.

pmac11 and Yukimajo like this.
  8. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I read maybe 20 books a year. Mostly soaking in the tub! I need to find a club to swap books! Historical stuff, fiction or true I like a lot.

pmac11 likes this.
  9. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I read my magazines of interest to me more than book themselves .

Magazines are : Guitar Player , Harmonica Happenings , Classic Trains Magazine , NYS Wildlife Magazine , and NACA ( National Animal Control Association )

Books : ( in the past ) Lots of books about Queen and Freddie Murcury , lots on The Beatles , Melissa Etheridge Bio , lots on photography , and a ton of law books regarding animal / wildlife just to name a few .

Currently reading a book from 1989 written a past District Attorney in our county Kenneth Gribetz , called " Murder Along The Way ". Interesting to me as I remeber most of the murders when they happend - The Brinks Robbery / Nanuet Mall killing 2 brother officers and a Brink Guard . It shook this County at the time . ( good Googlr search too guys ) and Richard LaBarbera who was serving a life term for killing a beautiful 16 yr old girl and was just released on parole ..... we're not happy here in the Town

pmac11, Yukimajo and Bertotti like this.
  10. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Big sci-fi fantasy fan and a bunch of classics. I have long ago lost count of the books in my house, so many I do not have enough shelf space, yet. I have saved every book since I started getting them. Hundreds upon hundreds. But I also like books of information a lot of electrical, project, science, anything to do with construction, heck I even have one on how to use a framing square to figure rafters! I can't count how many times I have been through the Sherlock Holmes stories. Etc. I don't get to read as much because of travel but have been voraciously going through audible sci-fi fantasy books. I have drives that vary from 4 - 8 hours a day not counting the time I spend in the manufacturing facilities so audible is a nice break.

I also read a lot of magazines at one time but after several years of subscriptions, I noticed how many many topics came around again just reworded with maybe a few new tools and quickly lost interest at that point in those rags.

thunder58 and pmac11 like this.
  11. not_man_davo

not_man_davo Gretschie

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    I wish I could read better, but I'm pretty severely dyslexic so it's tough. Audio books have helped me a lot in recent history though. I know a lot of readers hate them, but I actually don't mind having someone else's insight into how books are read. Kinda half movie/half book imo.

With humidity like that you don't live on an island, you live underwater!

12. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    ...while most of the millennials are thinking, "book? What's a book"?:D

Oh, wait, you mean a MACbook...

thunder58, pmac11 and Bertotti like this.
  13. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I used to read magazines all the time. Over the years, that has slowed to a trickle. I currently subscribe to Flying, Motor Trend and Smithsonian Air & Space, the last of which describes the interior of my cranium. :)

14. dmunson

dmunson Gretschie

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    Always in the middle of a good mystery. I was a late starter, early 30's when I discovered Tolkien. From there into science fiction, adventure, and currently on a mystery trip.
    Incidentally, when I got my Kindle 10, I found that I had immediate access to hundreds of free books of all interests. Worth the price right there.

pmac11 and Sabato like this.
  15. Sabato

Sabato Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Me too. Just started David McCullough's latest "The Pioneers". I've read all of his works. Just finished "Go Cat Go, Rockabilly music and its makers" by Craig Morrison, it was like a History class.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  16. Sabato

Sabato Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    My Uncle used to ask me, "What are you taking up in college, space?" And he was correct.

thunder58 likes this.
  17. Sabato

Sabato Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Not reading much leads to a limited grasp of English, especially grammar. It annoys me when people in the news business do not know what they're doing, don't they have to be in "communication" ? I say it leads to the "a man with a wooden leg named Smith" problem.

pmac11 and tartanphantom like this.
  18. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Also a fairly voracious reader here, the main limiting factor being time. I tend to binge when I do find the time and will generally burn through a typical 350 ish page novel in a night.

I'm definitely more sci/spec-fi and what they're calling urban fantasy centric, but also enjoy the right "standard" novels and non-fiction too.

pmac11 likes this.
  19. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    This led my brain straight to the old NSFW example of the importance of context and syntax illustrated in a sentence about assisting your uncle Jack in dismounting his horse.... ;)

Sabato likes this.
  20. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    I like books

Me too ! And like drmilktruck :

Techniques, Sciences, Geopolitics, Electronics, Architecture, History, Music, Arts, Philosophy and Humanism... From any era, written in French or English.

I'm very fond of old books, indeed... I consider them treasures of knowledge :rolleyes:.

A+!

new6659, pmac11 and Sabato like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice