I learned piano first :-)

Discussion in 'Songs in the key of Gretsch' started by pmac11, Mar 27, 2020.

1. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    https://soundcloud.com/user-38848842/fiver

Thank goodness for MIDI. I wrote this over the Christmas break. Enjoy!

Tadhg, Zeek and Flouswa like this.
  2. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Well done!
    Btw.: My first instrument was the piano, too. It really helped me understanding music and composition.
    And it made learning guitar a lot easier for me.

Tadhg, wabash slim, Zeek and 2 others like this.
  3. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

Totally agree, I was a flute player first and then piano. I can't tell you how handy being able to kind of envision a piano keyboard can be when figuring out different things on a guitar!

wabash slim, loudnlousy and pmac11 like this.
  4. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    My lessons as a kid were based on the Royal Conservatory of Music Program, so it was very heavy on classical influences. In retrospect it was nice to be exposed to some of the worlds' greatest composers at such a young age...although I recall not always thinking that at the time :) https://www.rcmusic.com

wabash slim and loudnlousy like this.
  5. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Piano was my first "real" instrument. I started off picking out tunes on an eight note xylophone. I still remember my first piano---a 5' upright grand Richmond. I still have a chunk of ivory off the keyboard. I did an old juke joint trick to make it louder---thumbtacks on the hammers. Made it sound a bit like a harpsichord.

Keys are still my prime instrument. I got into guitar because I couldn't carry a piano along with me while in the service. There were pianos on base, but were not always accessible.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    Tadhg, pmac11 and loudnlousy like this.
  6. Zeek

Zeek Synchromatic

May 29, 2016
    Illinos USA
    I also played piana first

pmac11 and loudnlousy like this.
  7. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    Me too. Learned the staffs and the notes, time signatures and where to find middle C. Took a long time to convince my mom...with a perfectly good piano in the house! Luckily my dad understood...he was forced to play the cornet in a brass band. I don't think my mom ever really forgave me...

loudnlousy likes this.
  8. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    What did she expect you to learn?

9. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    Piano??

10. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Yep. me too ... as a kid. As a reward for learning my piano lesson every week, I got to get a new comic book. This was back when comic books cost 12 cents. Must of done ok, 'cus I got a pretty big pile of old comic books now!

11. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Now I get it. Sounded like she didn't want you to play piano. Once my folks got me to practice daily, they found they couldn't get me away from the thing. Yelled at me to go outside so they could get some peace and quiet.

Served 'em right.

dougmon likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice