I knew NOS tubes had gone crazy, but...

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Ricochet, Oct 21, 2019.

1. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    A few years ago, there were (and still are a few) a few honest merchants who would label tubes as NOS or ANOS and would state the readings so you knew you were getting something with some life left in it. KCANOS is still one I recommend, but if you compare what he sells today with what he was selling 15 years ago, the inventory of NOS tubes has understandably decreased significantly.

I don't recommend buying NOS today for the most part as the good ones are either very rare and expensive or you're not getting the good ones. Or both. NOS does not equate to "better tone" unless it's a known and tested "better tone". Knowing which NOS tubes will be great is more difficult than finding a good tasting wine.

Ricochet, Waxhead and Bertotti like this.
  2. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I bought some NOS Russian military tubes, EL84 equivalents but s few have had a fair amount of back ground noise while the amp sits idle but when you start to play there is a little bit of magic the noise in unheard and the tunes are nice and full. I sure hope some one makes a EL84 new production with that clarity and sweetness.

Ricochet and Waxhead like this.
  3. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Hard to find I feel. But also very dependent on the amp itself. And a few newer ones have come out that are worth checking out.

4. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice