I just remembered why I stopped using Amazon...

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Winterwind, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    I looked again, just thinking their system was off and they'd correct it. Definitely $0.00 tax on the invoice. And I'm in Ontario. I should have been charged tax. They also are shipping separately. So, I'll get the light on Monday (ETA) and the tripod stand for it on Friday (ETA). This, the two were supposed to be together.

2. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    I 'discovered' Amazon about two years ago and use it frequently. Never had a bad experience either.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

3. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I dont think they necessarily have the best prices. What they offer is time saving. I'd rather spend $5 more than spend hours driving, waiting in line, etc.

4. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    I've never had a problem with Amazon,a few flakes from the Market Place sellers but they sorted that out pretty quickly,and i got my dosh back.

I buy mostly CD's, DVD's and books from them,sometimes other stuff for family members.

pmac11 likes this.
  5. speedicut

speedicut Country Gent

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    I dropped Prime but still get my packages within 4 or 5 days and that's fine for me.
    I always get a few things at a time to qualify for free shipping..

6. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    I can put up with a little bit of an inflated price for convenience sake but some of the pricing is completely out to lunch. Not all, but some.
    For example...
    https://www.amazon.ca/Alpen-614601900100-Solid-carbide-drills/dp/B076YLV3GF/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=router+bits&qid=1552596100&refinements=p_85:5690392011&rnid=5690384011&rps=1&s=gateway&sr=8-9

I wish that was rare but there's many examples of Amazon stuff that is priced way too high. You can do a search for just about any item, sort the list priced high to low, and you'll find something priced beyond reason.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  7. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    My wife pays for prime but on Amazon you really have to pay attention to who you buy from, more than one entity will be selling the same thing and prices vary wildly. When I look at some of the highest I find they are Japanese sellers and I assume selling for their market why it shows up on my Amazon I don't know. I always look local first but if I can't find it or do find it but it is significantly higher I go to Amazon. never had a problem even with my returns and most times they deliver faster than my local places who will order for me.

pmac11 likes this.
  8. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Electromatic

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD
    As someone who worked there years ago (so my kids could have a Christmas), I rarely if ever buy from them. When I do, it's usually only because it's something I can't find anywhere else. I've never been treated so badly by any employer in my entire life as I was at Amazon and I was in USMC if that gives you any comparison, yes it includes boot camp (comparison). Most of their prices are as good and sometimes better than average retail but knowing how the employees are treated I won't give them my business unless I absolutley have to.

I fully understand about being in isolated areas where you may not have easy access or convenient access to a music store. Maybe it's changed some since I worked there but I'd rather starve than go back! I'll deal with Ebay, Alibaba, AMS or others first.

Jockabilly and Bertotti like this.
  9. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Early 80's Jarhead here and although I was called every name under the sun Bootcamp wasn't really that bad. But then again I was twisted before I ever enlisted and knew what was going to happen long before I got there, probably the only one in my platoon who had any idea what crazy storm was coming.

10. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Electromatic

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD
    Same time here Bertotti, Semper Fi. It had it's moments like parade deck count off with a maple stick to the head every morning and night lol. 2nd Bat D Company.

11. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Can you show me a seller offering it for a significantly lower price?

12. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    Henry likes this.
  13. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Gretschie

Jun 2, 2008
    Fort Collins, CO
    Years ago I bought the Dave Mason CD "Alone Together." Inside the case was a German label classical CD. I sent it back and tried again. Same thing happened. Somehow the CD and the case got mixed up. I sent the second one back, but was never credited for it. I didn't use them again for a long time, but I would rather use Amazon then ebay. I'm not fond of how they track your every move you make on line.

14. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Prime Member for I think 6 years now (wow, didn't relalize it had been so long until just now!). I now average from 5 to 10 orders a month. CDs and DVDs to clothing to auto parts to guitar accessories and more. I find the service to be very good most of the time. Have had a few returns and items credited when things didn't work out as they should. The convenience is beyond anything else, and I often wonder how they can ship so quickly and affordably. I see why Bezos is so rich.

15. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Gretschie

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    As I understand it the bizarre prices are due to a piece of price/market tracking software that is used by a lot of sellers. Can't recall the ins and out of exactly how it works but IIRC it tracks all sales of a particular item on a platform such as Amazon Marketplace or Ebay and the price rises or falls according to demand and how long that particular item stays unsold online. I think you can set it so that your items price will always track the price that other sellers are setting so you can always be cheaper or the same as them. I believe the same software is also active on at least some ebay listings as well. I have put rare CD's in my watch list on ebay and they have been at very high prices and then, keeping an eye on them they have gradually come down in price over the following weeks until they reach far more 'sensible' prices. It's kind of a Price Drop auction system I guess.

Bertotti and Henry like this.
  16. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Lol, that's hilarious. But I am not sure why that matters. If it's ridiculous, i just dont buy it. Some would say $10000 for a 60 year old guitar is ridiculous too. There's lots of ridiculous stuff everywhere. Luckily we live in a wonderful world of choice!

Tinman46 likes this.
  17. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    We are subscribe and save members. We get monthly shipments or cat and dog food, seaweed snax (2x year), dishwasher detergent, shampoo, HVAC filters,even Dunlop Jazz III guitar picks! (once a year), etc. And we get 15% off the regular price, free shipping and I dont have to think about it.

If I had to shop for all that stuff it would probably take most of 2 days a month. And the stuff we order is similar or lower price. I remember hating the monthly trip to the pet store bringing back dozens of cans of wet cat food, what a pain.

I have returned a lot of stuff (including 3 guitar cases trying to find a match for my 5622, which I also bought on amazon). At least a dozen times over the years I've tried to return things of low value and they've said "here's your money back, but keep the product anyway". They would lose more money on shipping and processing.

T Bone likes this.
  18. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    I've used Amazon for years with absolutely no problems.
    I recently joined prime and get faster delivery on most stuff but I also bought a Firestick and watch Bosch and other TV series and films for free all for €7.99/month.
    Amazon do have a very bad reputation for how they treat their staff however.

The biggest problem with deliveries is simply explained.
    The huge and rapid increase in online ordering has given nearly all transportation companies a headache. The sheer volume of goods being delivered to-the-door has quite literally exploded over the last couple of years. Here in Germany it's been identified as a very serious problem in the big cities because delivery trucks are double parking all over the place in such numbers that traffic is coming to a standstill as a result. There are moves to force people to not expect delivery to the door but to a hub or local drop-off centre.
    Progress?!

19. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    Pfft. Not only did they ship separately but their ETA's are worthless.

They were supposed to ship together but billed my card separately and send two separate shipping/tracking emails. My wife called me from work earlier to say the stand... which wasn't supposed to arrive until next Friday arrived today. The LED light, which is supposed to arrive Monday, can't even be tracked by the tracking number provided. :rolleyes:

20. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Ok, so I am clearly an Amazon fanboy addict, but one more thing that I really like about then: preorders on books and media. I read a lot of scifi/fantasy books often preorder the next volume months in advance so it lands on my doorstep they same day they are issued in stores - it ships before the release date to ensure timely delivery.

Even better than the delivery timing is their price guaranty. You will pay the LOWEST price that Amazon offers (but not 3rd party sellers) on that book at anytime between the day you preorder and the day it ships, which is charged when shipped. So if the price goes down and then up during that period, I pay that lowest price. And of course you can cancel the order at any time before shipping without charge.

This works for most preorders of media like CDs, movies, etc.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice