I just remembered why I stopped using Amazon...

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Winterwind, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    I haven't placed an order with them (Amazon.ca in my case) since about 2011. They used to be a good source for classic Doctor Who DVDs at a decent price and that's about all I bought back in the day when DVDs were still a thing.

Last week my wife and I were looking at some home studio lighting gear from Neewer, for doing some videos to launch Winterwind's YouTube channel, and Amazon is pretty inexpensive. So, I put a few things on my wish list and this morning went to purchase them.

Go to my wish list, add to cart, proceed to checkout... asks for my password again. I enter it. It's apparently wrong. Hmm... ok. Well, let's try again. Nope. Ok, maybe it's this one. Nope. Ok, let's reset. Hmm... ok, catchpa.

I made about 10 attempts, visual and audio and it wouldn't accept it any time. So I called. The first agent didn't want to speak to me. I could hear their muffled conversation with a co-worker in the background but they wouldn't talk to me so I hung up, called back and got an agent that just follows a script but has no active listening skills at all.

The issue was sorted, the order placed but man, their process and service is utter crap in my experience.

19MGB76 likes this.
  2. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Synchromatic

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    I have to say that I don't use Amazon and haven't used them in years. I have just never felt that their service was that great and that they would rather control your life than give you a good, simple deal plus I worked for Jobcentre (UK employment services) at one time and the stories we got of how Amazon treated their staff in their Scottish facility put me off them. Add to that that I find Alexa to be darn creepy and you have the reasons why I never deal with them.

blueruins likes this.
  3. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Amazon addict for over 20 years. We have several packages a month. I've never tried to call. Customer service through email had always been good for me. Sorry you had a bad experience.

pmac11, reverb11, David_D and 2 others like this.
  4. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    My big complaint about Amazon is the vendors on there with ridiculous high prices and shipping costs. I've learned to ignore anything that isn't prime but I'm starting to see some stuff in prime that is inflated beyond reason.
    I've been fortunate enough that I haven't had to deal with customer service yet.

5. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    +1 Amazon here. I rarely have issues, and only once was an issue not resolved to my satisfaction, and that wasn't amazon it was the seller. I'm very careful about the SELLER, and look at the most recent reviews before ordering from them (had I done that in that one instance, I would not have ordered from them).

My only other issue is Prime USED TO MEAN 2-day shipping, period. NOW it means "usually 2 days, but not always, especially at Christmas".... but then it also means "including sunday deliveries", so it all comes out in the wash.

Being a Prime member, we also have access to Prime video (on our media box at home), and have watched quite a few worthwhile things on Amazon Prime.

Henry and reverb11 like this.
  6. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Well the other day I started a thread " There charging tax .. parties over "
    Well 2 days ago I needed some new belt , the military / boy scout web type , nothing fancy . I ordered 4 belts on Amazon . No problems . And get this ...........no tax , no shipping charge ( and I don't have " Prime " ) ... go figure :confused:

ruger9 and drmilktruck like this.
  7. BuddieGreen

BuddieGreen Gretschie

Sep 3, 2018
    indiana usa
    im a prime member and love amazon. gotta watch some of the sellers cause it can be a bit tricky at times, but iv never had a bad experience. order something almost weekly from cleaning supplies to cat food and underwear to pedal power supplies or you name it if it means i dont have to deal with stores like walmart

8. r0de0

r0de0 Gretschie

Jul 7, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    +1 from me. Except for slower shipping as of late. 2 days does not equal 5 days.

ruger9 likes this.
  9. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    ok so, I thought the way this worked was: amazon, ll bean, musicians friend, all of them...

If the warehouse/location it is shipping from is IN YOUR STATE, they charge sales tax. I didn't pay sales tax on LL bean for years, until an LL Bean outlet opened up in my state. Ditto REI. I thought I notice the same with amazon over the years (and it's also why I NEVER order from Prymaxe, in addition to their crappy customer service, they always charge me sales tax because we are both in NJ)

thunder58 likes this.
  10. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I can’t find much of the stuff I want in our local brick and mortar stores so Amazon fills a need for my family. We use Amazon Prime all the time. We almost never have a problem.

ruger9 likes this.
  11. wilblee

wilblee Synchromatic

May 23, 2013
    TX Hill Country
    I live out in the country. It’s 30 minutes to the nearest Walmart, Home Depot, etc.. An hour to the nearest music store, an hour and a half to the nearest good one. So, I buy a lot of stuff on line with maybe 95% of that on Amazon.

I live on a one lane county road out in the hinterlands, but they’ve only missed three delivery dates (out of hundreds) and then only by a day. I always get an email notification from Amazon when the package has been delivered.

I’m old enough to remember when remote buying for rural dwellers was limited to the Sears, Penney’s, and Montgomery Wards catalogs; everything was conducted by snail mail (unless you wanted to pay long distance telephone charges); and delivery dates were a nebulous concept at best (5-7 weeks was the most common and about 50% accurate at that). Compared to those days, this is heaven.

new6659 and radd like this.
  12. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    If you're still looking for stage-type lighting, check out Monoprice's other brand, Stage Right. They have a variety of very decently priced LED lighting fixtures.

My wife uses Amazon all of the time with no issues.

13. ruggero78

ruggero78 Electromatic

Mar 12, 2019
    Italy
    I prefer ebay, much less shipping costs and I can keep in contact more directly with virtual shop.

Jockabilly likes this.
  14. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I had that problem for quite a while years ago. "wrong password" or "you must change your password" then the new one doesn't work....and signing in multiple times through the process. It's not normal. Eventually I complained enough on line and ophone the problem fixed itself and now it's a breeze. But I'm really not sure what got corrected.
    But, when I started using Amazon I would get items super fast, like 2 days. Eventually it got terrible, now it's a week often. They keep trying to force you to join Prime now so have slowed normal delivery.
    The other problem is they ship via a shipping company, then on the day it's supposed to arrive, the shipping company gives it to the post office. It's too big for the mail box so the post office wont bring it to the house. So then I have to drive to the post office and stand in line to get it. What's worse is things often arrive on Friday, so I end up waiting until Monday for the post office to be open!
    I buy everything I can on line from other sources now. But still use Amazon for some things. Amazon charges me state sales tax too.

15. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    Yeah, I got the "join Prime - 30 day free trial for faster delivery" and could have Saturday. Which is zero use since it's being shipped to my wife's office, a M-F, 9-5 accounting firm.

Hopefully it ships together. All I ordered was a Neewer 160 LED light that clips on top of a dslr camera, that comes in a kit with a softbox, charger and two battery packs, and a tripod for the light. But when I checked my bank account they billed the light kit and tripod separately

Still, far cheaper than the brick and mortar camera stores charge, roughly 1/3 the price.

16. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I thought you didn't pay tax on clothes in NJ ? ( LL Bean and basically that's all they sell ) Maybe REI as I puchased my kayak from REI ( Paramus ) but I can't remember

17. Gregor

Gregor Gretschie

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    I have used Amazon.ca for years now with good results. Only 2 times did I not receive the order. I was compensated both times with hassle free reimbursement(shipping included). In one case the vendor was no longer with Amazon and the second case the vendor refunded everything and was very apologetic for me not receiving the order. I don't have Amazon Prime as much as they try to push it. Without Prime, it's free shipping on qualifying orders over $35 cdn and although they charge sales tax, it's only 5% although our pst and hst is %15 (hope they're not reading this). Overall, I'm very pleased with Amazon......to this point in time.

18. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    Well, I ordered from Amazon.ca naturally and didn't get charged any tax. I'm kind of wondering what that's about. The shipping is naturally free since mine was over $35 CDN but the no tax charged?

19. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    I honestly don't know, I don't buy clothes often...lol

and yes- it looks like they still don't, but it has to be something, because you DO pay sales tax on clothes from LL Bean if you order online, BECAUSE there are now LL Beans here. Perhaps what we are paying in that case is MAINE's sales tax, since that's where the items actually ship from, and having a retail location in NJ gives them the authority to do that? IDK...

thunder58 likes this.
  20. Gregor

Gregor Gretschie

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Not sure why....the last invoice states:
    "Tax Calculated (GST/HST): CDN$ 1.27 " on a $25.42 order. Maybe it's a New Brunswick thing. We're taxed on just about everything despite being one of the poorest provinces in the country....don't get me going. That would would be highjacking this thread.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice