Join Gretsch-Talk Today

I Got Questions About Shipping

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Kitvin713, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Kitvin713

Kitvin713 Electromatic

Jan 10, 2017
    Fresno, CA, U.S.A.
    So I have pedals I'm looking to sell. Im trying to scratch up enough cash to get a Pod. I haven't had any bites on my local CL and honestly I'm tired of dealing with the folks on there. So my question is what is the cost involved with shipping pedals and what kind of boxes do I need. I have sold some things on eBay but I got hosed on the shipping and ended up losing money (It was a military challenge coin ended up going for like 5$). Do you recommend printing labels or going to the post office and having them handle it. Any help will be appreciated.

2. Bertotti

Bertotti Electromatic

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Always leave shipping up to the buyer. I saw someone who had it possible to type ij your zip and see what shipping fees would be. I don't know if everyone can do that but maybe it is a service you can use when you post your items. Or just tell them the zip you are shipping from and they could check themselves to get an idea. nothing in shipping fees is cast in stone.

3. Kitvin713

Kitvin713 Electromatic

Jan 10, 2017
    Fresno, CA, U.S.A.
    The hard thing for me I guess is what to put for shipping on sites like eBay or Reverb. On the forum it's easy to put buyers pay shipping but on sales oreiented sites I think it's a bit tougher.

4. Bertotti

Bertotti Electromatic

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I think if it was me I would pick a local ship from, be it a USPS or UPS Store, Fedex etc. Post that address and a link to the relevant site, whomever is buying can then see what shipping will cost from your location to whatever address they enter. I would also have an initial cost from that site for any relevant insurance and packaging. packaging can get very expensive if you leave it to the shipping site. it just cost me over 300 to package and ship two items. I was irritated because I had just tossed a lot of shipping supplies thinking I wouldn't use them anymore.

5. Kitvin713

Kitvin713 Electromatic

Jan 10, 2017
    Fresno, CA, U.S.A.
    That is an excellent Idea thanks I will be implementing that

Bertotti likes this.
  6. emicad

emicad Synchromatic

Jul 14, 2015
    Rome, Italy
    If you're planning to sell some pedals, do yourself a favour and DON'T SHIP VIA USPS.
    They're facing massive shipments delays due to Irma, systems/network failures, traking doesn't work, customer service seems to suck really bad.

I'm waiting for a package since Semptember 1 and it didn't even left the Postal office yet, so I asked for a refund. It's been two weeks now.
    I asked specifically for UPS (or FedEx) to the seller, he agreed but made a mistake using USPS. Bad, bad idea. :(
    I tried to get some infos from USPS, they never replied.

Use a private courier!

7. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Friend of Fred

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    whaaaat? :(

8. englishman

englishman Friend of Fred

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    On the whole, I am still getting better service with USPS than the other carriers. Shipped a guitar to Connecticut from Detroit Wednesday and it's out for delivery today. Occasionally things get hung up, with any of them.
    I use the online 'click and ship' so all I need are package dimensions and weight and I can calculate shipping and print out a label right there.

Kitvin713 likes this.
  9. emicad

emicad Synchromatic

Jul 14, 2015
    Rome, Italy
    Just to be clear, it wasn't my intention to speak ill of USPS. I don't even live in the US, so...
    I'm just saying that things are a lot complicated right now with them. About the customer service I can tell that it sucks though. I sent them tons of emails about different shipments during the yeaars and nobody replied. Never.
    Private couriers are still a better option in my opinion, especially with international shipments.

10. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Experiences differ. I will always opt for USPS first. Then again, I never tried to communicate with them.

You could look at it differently. At least USPS seem upfront about the delays. You have to wonder how given the circumstances, Fedex and UPS don't experience delays? It's not that they use different roads...

11. emicad

emicad Synchromatic

Jul 14, 2015
    Rome, Italy
    It never happened to me to see an item stuck for two weeks into a postal office, never. I understand the situation but come on, not even a reply?
    UPS and FedEx are working regularly in the US, just sayin'...

12. englishman

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    It happens sometimes. Maybe a misplaced digit or a faulty barcode. They can go round and round for a couple of weeks until a human picks it up and sees what's wrong.

Henry likes this.
  13. Mag3

Mag3 Gretschie

Nov 22, 2016
    Massachusetts
    I have sold a lot of pedals on Reverb. Most pedals cost 7-8 dollars to ship. Try to keep the weight below a pound and use any small box. I use USPS with the Reverb discount without any issues. (unclick the signature required option unless you want to piss off the buyer)

Henry and Kitvin713 like this.
  14. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I have found you can't really communicate via email with any couriers unless you have a commercial / business account.

For me, I use USPS unless I need a package to arrive by a certain time, then FedEx or UPS.

15. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    It's really rare. A couple years ago during a winter storm short delivery promises were not kept but most of the country was grounded, so it's understandable. It actually affected a project I was on. Lending counsel from east coast shipped a box of signed closing documents to HUD in Los Angeles and it arrive 2 days late.

Overnight delivery is a necessity in the practice of law!

I heard people complaining that their amazon orders of water and supplies to Irma didn't arrive in time for people who ordered right before Irma hit. Even I, an Amazon and overnight shipping addict, have more reasonable expectations.

16. Bertotti

Bertotti Electromatic

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Truth is they are all hit and miss. I have had issues with all of them at one point. I am a bit OCD watching the tracking information when I ship, just in case.

17. englishman

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    That's half the fun!