Join Gretsch-Talk Today

I got a G2420 the other day...

Discussion in 'Streamliner Gretsch Forum' started by BorderRadio, Apr 26, 2018.

1. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Here it is with the ‘58 Streamliner tailpiece. You know, if anyone puts a Bigsby on a vintage guit, then my 2 cents worth is to keep the original parts :) But I’m happy to take stuff off peoples’ hands nonetheless, and in this case it cost the same as a new 5.5 inch G-plate.

I’m feelin’ the no pickguard look. Did I mention this thing howls? :)

EE357325-C5A9-49ED-B5F6-FBEA0C4A6B1A.jpeg

2. Willie D

Willie D Gretschie

Feb 11, 2018
    Seattle, WA
    Man, that's cool!

3. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks WD!

4. Looks good. I like the tailpiece and (of course) the no-pg look.

BorderRadio likes this.
  5. TNO1

TNO1 Electromatic

Apr 17, 2018
    North Carolina
    That thing looks DONE!!!

BorderRadio likes this.
  6. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Looks sharp!

BorderRadio likes this.
  7. Willie D

Willie D Gretschie

Feb 11, 2018
    Seattle, WA
    Finally installed the Blacktops in my Streamliner yesterday.
    I had to cut off the quick connect plugs from the pups, extend the wires with some solder and heat shrink, do a little judicious dremel work on the pickup holes, drill some pilot holes for the silver BT rings, and WOW. I really liked the way it sounded before, but I LOVE the way it sounds now!

I did have to ditch my pickguard. The Streamliner guards are cut around the rings rather than the pickups, and I followed suit with my awesome homemade guard. But it just doesn't fit the new silver rings, and even if I were to expand the slots on the guard to fit them it just wouldn't look right. The good news is that I'm also digging the no-guard look with the burst.

There's still some setup work to be done with the pickups (height, polepieces) but it already sounds killer!

BorderRadio and pmac11 like this.
  8. pmac11

pmac11 Gretschie

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Pictures, man, pictures! :)

9. Willie D

Willie D Gretschie

Feb 11, 2018
    Seattle, WA
    Here you go. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

10. pmac11

pmac11 Gretschie

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Very nice. Looks great without the pickguard!

11. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Awesome, nice work!

I’m going through with the gold pickguard, I already started the MDF pattern, so kinda-might-as-well :)

Willie D likes this.
  12. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    The re-envisioned 50s Streamliner is done--I think Gretsch/FMIC should have done it this way, but what do I know? :)

I should have listened to y'all--the gold knobs didn't match my gold guard, and I didn't want to bother stripping the paint so I used some plain-top knobs (thanks @Davis Sharp for the heads up). The clear set-screw knobs I like required a splurge I didn't want to go for. Also, there are some Grover+ivory button tuners from a DC Les Paul Jr-clone with a snapped neck. No fill-n-drill necessary, they dropped right in. A set of 11 flatwound strings complement the deal. The gold guard I made was easy enough, I went ahead and made a matching guard for the Dyna/Starwood Tele I'm using. Yeah, another set of twins.

Streamliners, great guitars...

20180612_165748.jpg 20180612_165708.jpg 20180612_165731.jpg 20180612_170119.jpg

13. section2

section2 Electromatic

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Stunning!

How did you make the logo for the pickguard?

14. Nice set of twins. But when they get older, they won't want to dress alike.:)

section2 and BorderRadio like this.
  15. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    The one with the bigger bout will probably want to wear black all the time.....

MTurner, Davis Sharp and BorderRadio like this.
  16. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks! The logo is adhesive backed vinyl cut with a plotter. You stick it on the back of clear plexi after shaping and just before painting. I have a few vector files that I traced off various examples of "GreTscH" guards a few years ago.

section2 likes this.