Join Gretsch-Talk Today

I got a G2420 the other day...

Discussion in 'Streamliner Gretsch Forum' started by BorderRadio, Apr 26, 2018.

1. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    ...on sale at GC, 100 bucks off, which is about the same they pull for used. I’ve been waiting on a used one as a side project but missed a few on the bay. There are five GCs in my area and the 2420 display models were trashed at each one, and No Dice on getting a deeper discount for the scratch n dents. So why not get the best available?

Besides the paint chips and cheeto fingerprints, there were problems like paint bleed on the binding, pale colored rosewood, and too thin necks. Half a dozen models later, the one straight out the box was the best—a 2017. Fattish neck, clean binding work, and dark rosewood. That and it had enough pitch in the neck angle to satisfy the end goal.

So yeah, I’m into the G6190/G6192s of the 50s right now. I have a bunch of spare parts waiting to go, including a used Embie, some grungy ‘99 Dynasonics, and a vintage Streamliner tailpiece. That’s all I need, plus a gold metallic guard to match the knobs, which I really, really like. The silver one is a stand-in. Coolest thing about the G2420 besides the chunky neck with big blocks inlays? No soundpost, and the parallel bracing bars are not compromised by the pickup mounts. Howl.

CA88809F-B820-453A-9A18-E65CD0F55513.jpeg
    F9636FE2-FAE0-48C9-BD7F-796194D8C6AB.jpeg

2. Bakerstreet

Bakerstreet Electromatic

Sep 2, 2017
    Midwest USA
  3. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Country Gent

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    I dig it, but please also swap those knobs for some proper G logos. I don't know why, but the stock knobs on the Steamliners really put me off of them.

BorderRadio likes this.
  4. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Nice! That's a great sunburst!

BorderRadio likes this.
  5. Sonny Strimple

Sonny Strimple Country Gent

May 8, 2011
    Western Maryland
    Very pretty. My first guitar in about 1957/58 was a Harmony Rocket in that configutation and colors. Tempted at times to get one, reminds me of the good old days!

I bet that sounds real nice even unplugged.
    Congrats!

BorderRadio likes this.
  6. TNO1

TNO1 Electromatic

Apr 17, 2018
    North Carolina
    I picked one up on Craigslist a couple weeks ago at a great price. Fantastic neck on mine and sounds great unplugged. They are really decent guitboxes. I like the silver pickguard on the sunburst.

Sonny Strimple and BorderRadio like this.
  7. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Congrats Wes, pretty cool. I dig the sunburst a lot! Where‘s the custom Pickguard from?

BorderRadio likes this.
  8. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats, that looks nice, and I hate it when that happens. :)

BorderRadio likes this.
  9. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I was with you on this when they first came out. Not now, after checking out a few early 50s Gretsches. One in particular caught my eye, but I dipped out since it had action problems (needed a neck reset). I did swap out the plastic switch tip though--Electromatic switch tips fit fine.

10. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks man! It's from Paul Setzer, for a G5122 a few years back. Now that I'm set up with a table router I make my own guards.

Stefan likes this.
  11. not_man_davo

not_man_davo Gretschie

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    Is the satin finish stock, or did you knock down the shine yourself? It looks really great, has a real vintage feel to it without being "reliced". love the dynas too. cool project!

BorderRadio likes this.
  12. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Electronics are stock and okay?

13. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Yea man! I want a gold one but it's just ridiculous 'round here with gits.

BorderRadio likes this.
  14. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Electromatic

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    Looking great. I ended up with a 2420 last year. Wasn’t looking for another guitar but it was a blem model for 230 bucks so I couldn’t pass it up. It sounds and plays amazing! It’s become my rat rod of guitars. One of my favorites

Attached Files:

15. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Badass!

16. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Nice,i've been "thinking " about a used gold one myself,i fancy some dog eared P-90's for it.

BorderRadio likes this.
  17. Looks good. I like the tailpiece.

18. Willie D

Willie D Gretschie

Feb 11, 2018
    Seattle, WA
    To me, those knobs would look better if the pickups, tailpiece, bridge, and switch were gold. With chrome/nickel hardware something else (smoky gray?) would look a lot better.

I went with G arrows.

pmac11 and BorderRadio like this.
  19. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    That was the plan if I found a used one or a scratch n dent—wet sanding for the satin look. I chickened out because it looked and played great right out of the box.

As for the pic, the light is hitting the finish just right, a happy accident.

The switch looks like the same that’s installed in Electromatics—the weak link in those guitars. The pots look full sized but I haven’t pulled the harness yet. Shielded wire is used, and the pickups are G&B labeled import stuff. I’m going to use the original harness, unless the pots aren’t 500k audio taper.

Nothing wrong with those mods, or metal G-knobs. I’ve modded a few Electros to have V-cut Bigsbys and better knobs, etc., enough that I’ve gotten a little tired of the look. Not bad, just looking for something different with this one. I sold my extra V-cut, and have a drawer full of Electromatic hardware, but I’m sticking with the older styles. Like the stock 50s Streamliners, no gold plating for me :)

Maybe whenever the harness needs to replaced, I’ll do the metal knobs. Crazy, contemplating putting “ELECTROMATIC” vertical text down the headstock. Modding a SL to be an Electro in order to be more ‘vintage authentic’ :D:eek:

Stefan and pmac11 like this.
  20. TNO1

TNO1 Electromatic

Apr 17, 2018
    North Carolina
    About 20 years ago a shop in my wife's families town had a 50's Streamliner in natural finish with "Electromatic" down the headstock, dual dynasonics, a non-gretsch bigsby and the gold plexi knobs. I was completely awestruck but didn't have the $350 they were asking.

BorderRadio likes this.