Join Gretsch-Talk Today

I dislike Bigsby's.

Discussion in 'The Great Bigsby forum' started by Roy Clark, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Charles Conner

Charles Conner Gretschie

May 19, 2016
    Maryland
    I've played on guitars where I've avoided bending strings because the string would come back flat. The nut on the guitar is the culprit most of the time. Here is a nut we all love on a guitar and notice the guitar has a Bigsby.

2. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Oh yeah.......one other thing........Bigsby's simply aren't for everyone! Lol. And that's okay. Floyd Rose systems(for instance)work fantastically, yet you would NEVER in a million years see me with one. We all like what we like and make our deals.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    benjwri, Ebidis and dilver like this.
  3. Frank_NH

Frank_NH Synchromatic

Mar 25, 2013
    Lebanon, NH
    Roy Clark is amazing! Check out that video - playing perfect slide with a drinking glass. Nice!

Ebidis and Charles Conner like this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Setzerhotrod

Setzerhotrod Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    Jeez......
    Way to throw a rock at a hornets nest.....

CHelgason01 likes this.
  6. afire

afire Country Gent

Feb 12, 2009
    Wisconsin
    That's what I mean. They have to be set up and adjusted properly. My experience with zero frets and rocking or plastic saddle bridges is that they are forgiving without much care or attention. Which only makes sense. The nuts are just string guides that don't pinch, nor do the saddles really. Less chance to bind.

7. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Friend of Fred

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    all that binding n' pinching :)
    [​IMG]

benjwri and Waxhead like this.
  8. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Gretschie

May 20, 2016
    Australia
    Great catch for a very light trolling line;)

9. Ebidis

Ebidis Gretschie

Jul 30, 2017
    Alabama
    I like 'em. I generally find Strat trems problematic and usually lock them down and don't use them.

I got my first Bigsby equipped guitar about two weeks ago,

fullsizeoutput_d9.jpeg

and liked it so much that I got another one yesterday.

IMG_1408.JPG

I do all my own setups, and had to do very little with the Bigsbys. Much easier to properly set up than a Strat. They both stay in tune perfectly, and I love the way they respond and feel. Plus I think they look very cool.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    NJDevil and Henry like this.
  10. Synchro

Synchro Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    Five guitars with Bigsby vibratos and zero problems.

11. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Problems starts with Bigsbyless-guitars.

12. larryr

larryr Electromatic

Mar 6, 2012
    Camarillo, Ca.
    Played strats, played jazzmasters, played floyd equipped. My take is that there is something very subtly more musical in the note shimmer on Bigsbys. Was an adjustment for me but now totally sold on them.

Stefan likes this.
  13. Synchro

Synchro Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    I agree. It's a tool that can be used subtly and carfully to great effect. You can dive bomb with theme do they work great for Surf, but I prefer the way Chet used it.

Coming from a Jazz background, a Bigsby was anethama. I had used the "Trem" on a Strat, but that was the greatest extent of my experience in actually using a vibrato tailpiece. Once I started playing Gretsch guitars I found myself just slipping a bit of pressure onto the Bigsby handle and loving the result. Nowadays, I feel lost without a Bigsby and use it sparingly, even in Jazz.

Rob Williams, larryr and Stefan like this.
  14. NJDevil

NJDevil Gretschie

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    I don't like the look of the Floyd Rose and rarely used the tremolo on my Strats. The fear of going out of tune forced me to do without it. When I bought my 1st Gretsch in '09, I started playing some rockabilly and used the Bigsby and loved how it never went out of tune. For the right song, I use it without concern on my Phoenix and 5126 and never a problem. I love the way the look to!

15. Highroller

Highroller Gretschie

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Better gas mileage and smooth left turns!

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  16. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Electromatic

Jun 20, 2017
    athens, GA
    I was apprehensive about a Bigsby since I had no experience with them. I got my Player's Edition Black Falcon, with a non tension bar Bigsby, and a pinned rocking bar bridge, and that beast of prey has superb tuning stability!
    I use 11g strings and put some pencil graphite in the not slots. It is incredibly stable tuning wise!
    Now granted it has locking tuner heads, but I imagine that a proper stringing job would also work just fine, just like on my Fender Strats and Offset . Anyway I'm loving my Bigsby!
    ......actually I'm reminded of this video from the controversial Scott Grove that I just came across, regarding Bigsby's and tuning, funny enough:
    You can fast forward to 8:43 for the crazy demonstration :D But he doesn't string under the tension bar (if one is present) and uses a roller bridge (I know these are very controversial), and also shows how to place the un-pinned bridge properly, just by using visual orientation, so that the guitar is intonated well instantly.