I definitely want to sell my mosrite (needs restoration and TLC)

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Howard hughes, Feb 8, 2019.

1. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Thanks man....Love yours too!!

Howard hughes likes this.
  2. Howard hughes

Howard hughes Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    yeah i have seen that guitar around, how could i forget! that color is lush, pure lush!

3. Howard hughes

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    wow i love all of those, that jag tele hybrid oh yeah!

larryb likes this.
  4. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Synchromatic

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Man........what a dilema. I also think you'll regret it over time. I'm sorry you have fallen on hard times. I have been there and have done it. If I had the funds I would buy and send it right back to you. Hope things get better.

5. dankas11

dankas11 Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    Croatia
    don’t sell Mosrite. They are awesome and rare. I have 480 Rickenbacker from 1975 , my first guitar, my father brought it for my 12th birthday. I will never sell it. I saw last year one just like mine in Denmark streetand it was very expensive. but... never!

6. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    If you can, keep it, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Things are just things and memories exist without them.

7. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Gretschie

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I have been in financially tight times and have had to sell things too. It’s a tough call. But it’s things I’ve sold for other reasons, not out of necessity, but just... I dunno, because... Many of those are the things I regret letting go of. Like a pretty nice 1958 Martin 00-18. Damn! 22 years later I still regret selling that! Think carefully about what objects (or people, for that matter) are important in your life before you let them go.

8. Howard hughes

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    that's nice of you man, it's only a small amount of debt, it's just hard to catch up when i have other outgoings to think of, i.e owning a property that needs renovation. i don't think ide regret that piece of mind?

9. Howard hughes

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    love Rickenbacker! the story goes that semi mosley of mosrite worked for Rickenbacker but got fired for making his own guitars at the factory haha mosrites have a very ricky neck, i can see where he learned his craft.

dankas11 likes this.
  10. Howard hughes

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    well said brother! memories indeed exist without material possessions.

Flouswa likes this.
  11. Howard hughes

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    now a 1958 martin is a bit different to a 1968 mosrite. but just think of the joy and memories that guitar is bringing to someone else right now, maybe a father lets his son play it, and that child grows up to inherit that particular guitar and those memories. my favorite romany gypsy saying is " we only borrow the earth we can never own it" something like that? we only borrow possessions until they move on to somebody else in the long run. thanks brother

Flouswa and Jelly Roll Horton like this.
  12. Flouswa

Flouswa Synchromatic

Sorry to hear you have to sell it, but I can totally relate to how you feel. I've had a number of things that I've recently found new homes for because I knew I wasn't going to have the time or energy to put into doing something with them. I would rather see them go to someone who would enjoy it. Good luck with the sale. And awesome Vespa!!!

13. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Gretschie

Jun 2, 2008
    Fort Collins, CO
    I have a partscaster Esquire that's almost the exact same color as your Thinline. Nice guitar.

14. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

Hmmmmmm, I'm interested, warm but not red hot, always wanted a Mosrite. I'm in Brighton, so the location works.

Maybe we could work something so that I buy it, then if you ever want it back you can rebuy it, adding on the cost of any work I get done? It seems a real shame for you to lose all those memories for ever.....

Looks like the frets are missing, or is that just the photo? Also, more importantly, are the slippers included?

15. Howard hughes

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    hahaha ill throw the slippers in for free! the main problem with the guitar is one of the thread holes has been threaded, nothing on the guitar cant be fixed though. best thing i can do is just bring it down to show you or you come up? i adore brighton, i spent so much time down there with my best mate who lives there, i have always wanted to move there but it is as expensive as london now. i gigged all over that town, great place! ill be in touch next time i go london then matey! wont be for a month or two i don't think. thanks for reply.

16. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

OK, good shout. If you're talking about a few weeks time, it'll work better for me. I just bought an SG, and the ever fragrant Mrs Bee will frown upon two new guitars in quick succession.

On the other hand, if you need cash quickly give me a shout and we'll see what we can do.

17. Howard hughes

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    thanks man! definitely a month or even two. ill send pictures first so you can have a good look. i will say whatever state this guitar is in, it is still worth a pretty penny, the hardware alone is super rare. it's also a big project to take on, especially the one thing that has held me back for so long, the logo! it would have been a silkscreen not a decal. if it's going to be done it needs to be done properly. look forward to speaking to you in the future mate thanks for your interest.

18. Howard hughes

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    p.s thanks for the offer of quick funds, i can wait though. i also don't really have a clue of what this thing is worth? if you look at ed roman prices for the individual parts of the hardware, and they are aftermarket? i dunno? by the way the frets were taken out professionally with next to no chip out! here have a look at ed romans prices might give you a clue - http://www.edroman.com/guitars/mosrite/mosrite-parts.htm

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  19. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    @Howard hughes , think about what Jelly Roll and uncle Thunder are telling you here ......... ;)

20. Howard hughes

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    thank you very much jelly roll and uncle thunder i appreciate it! ill see how it goes no deal has been made, if the price was right ide go for it, i mean it has sat like this for seven or more years, it seems i will never get around to it. also i think my father would tell me to sell it, i honestly to think that is what he would say. but see how it goes. thanks again for your consideration of my possible future regret.

thunder58 likes this.