I definitely want to sell my mosrite (needs restoration and TLC)

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Howard hughes, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Howard hughes

Howard hughes Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    to be honest i am in a little debt and i want to get out of it. i have had this guitar since i was 14 (now 38) and yeah my late father bought it for me and i vowed never to sell it. this was my number one for years! it went on the tours in my band for four years. i am going to keep this short as possible. i need and want to sell it! if anyone wants a project please pm me, there are small things wrong with it but nothing structurally. you have to remember the tailpiece trem system alone is worth $250 the M stamped knobs are worth their wight in gold! i am not kidding this guitar is a dream, but debt is horrible and i want out. these are the only pictures i have of it now all the parts are there the original screws everything, even the case. (1968 ventures model no ventures logo) i have spare parts bridges e.t.c the guitar is in london i live in sweden right now but if someone was interested ide obviously take better pictures next time i am in london. thanks for looking. any questions please ask. regards wayne zoo 004.JPG SAM_0252.JPG

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    markeebee and Alberta_Slim like this.
  2. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Best of luck, my friend...she's definitely got mojo!

Howard hughes likes this.
  3. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Bummer you have to sell it man. I think eBay might be your best bet, hate to say. Pretty hard to put a value on it so an auction might be the thing.

4. musicman100

musicman100 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2008
    England
    Sorry you have to sell it,

eBay I would agree is the best way to go,
    It’s worth what someone will pay!!

5. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    If it was a LH model... :rolleyes:

A+!

6. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Sorry that you have to sell it. I`ve been there many times during the last years and had to sell nearly all of my guitars and amps.
    It is sad but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.
    Good luck.

7. Howard hughes

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    yeah ebay is the way to go, thanks guys. i have seen similar mosrites on the bay same year/model in a worse state with no hardware at all go for £700 so that's good for me. i will never get around to restoring it, i have been trying to build this thinline, and tastes have changed anyway.

8. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Wayne ,
    Please don't sell it . Get a second job if need be until you fell more financially comfortable . But please don't sell , you'll regret it someday . With that said ..........
    I'm now 60 years old ... In January , 1976 when I was 17 , my father took me to Bronans Music on Webster Ave in The Bronx so I could purchase my first " real " guitar for a massive $118 ... well , back then it was massive . A Yamaha FG-160 . It's one of my most memorable days with my father , just him and I . I still have my guitar and fortunately my father ... he's 88 .
    Who knows , maybe with a second job you'll have some money left over to buy some pants too .........

Attached Files:

9. Howard hughes

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    thanks for the advice. yeah i get that i might regret it but i also have something else very special from him, maybe even more special? my 1959 vespa! i also got this when i was 14, i wasn't even old enough to ride it and it pretty much stayed in my bedroom as an ornament until i restored it. this is something that i would never sell. i can't get a job here way out in sweden, but i will keep trying. you are making me think twice though. thanks buddy! here is my vespa very rare special scoot! SAM_0274.JPG SAM_0276.JPG

10. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Love the Vespa!!!!!

I had my dad's 74 Gibson SJ Deluxe....I sold it when I needed the money. That guitar, although was from him...was not him. The memory of my father goes well beyond wood and wire or any material object.
    ...just my 2 cents

11. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Now you have 2 things to hold on to ...

12. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Dunno if you have experience on Ebay but pay close attention to the buyers feedback rating. There are some shenaniganizers out there.

13. Howard hughes

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    yeah that's what i think well said. i have his DNA and the memory of him, plus this awesome vespa. i feel like if it was restored by someones else at least it's being used and is out there in the world. it's been in this sate for seven years now i just can't get around to it. anyway larry remember the guitar i was gassing for? well i am building it, and it hasn't been easy! especially the paint! beautiful isn't it? oh yeah! thumbnail_IMG_7904.jpg

Paul in Colorado, Flouswa and larryb like this.
  14. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Yep.....it is all just stuff and the memory of your father is deep within your heart and soul!

Dude!!!! That is friggin' gorgeous....I will take that and another in Shell pink and one in Vintage white and of course......Fiesta red!!!:cool:;)

Flouswa and Howard hughes like this.
  15. Howard hughes

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    thanks for the kind words buddy. this is sonic blue, i love how it goes surf green in certain lights.

larryb likes this.
  16. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Again, if it was Lefty... :rolleyes:;)

This color is very nice - similar to my G5622TLH - some kind of Turquoise, at least on the picture, depending on light exposure...

[​IMG]

And oh, I have nothing musical from my Dad unfortunately, except a shop stamp dated Nov. 1962 Booker-T and the MGs Atlantic vynil record, in mint condition :cool:... Because he never bought the record player to listen to it :eek:! This demonstrates the huge interest he has in music :confused:...

A+!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    new6659, Howard hughes and larryb like this.
  17. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Love sonic and daphne blue.....My old sonic blue T-master in this pic:

sonn.jpg

new6659, Howard hughes and hcsterg like this.
  18. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    This color assortment is tasty killer, larryb ! I dig it... :cool:

A+!

new6659, Howard hughes and larryb like this.
  19. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Unfortunately, I only have the surf green Tele left,,:(:(:(

20. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Ah ! Too bad... It was a remarkable display of complementary 60's colors...

A+!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    Howard hughes and larryb like this.