I Can't Tell You Why - Can you tell difference between a Strat and a Jet ?

Discussion in 'Songs in the key of Gretsch' started by Waxhead, Mar 19, 2019.

1. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    That`s mainly on higher gain settings. I believe that it is a matter of compression and strong mids that come with some Boogie models.

Ricochet likes this.
  2. loudnlousy

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    My MKIII red stripe was guilty of that in the lead-channel, for example. But this sound was so nice that I did not consider it to be a problem.

3. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    I have a non-guitar related question... Who is singing the lead and backups? Is that you, Wax?

blueruins likes this.
  4. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Synchromatic

May 20, 2016
    Australia
    It's not "Wax".
    It is disclosed in the sound cloud pre-amble and names the vocalist.

I'm sure you couldn't tell if they put the Mic through the crunchbox and the boogie. :D;)

5. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Lets add in a few facts about Mesa Boogie.
    Since the 1970s with Mark 1 they're released over 50 amps.
    Because they are the most innovative of main stream amp builders most of their amps are very different.
    They are always trying something different.

Their Mark series amps 1 to 4 did deliberately sound very similar as they added on new features and tones with each release onto the same basic amp. Most of the comments you hear about Boogies being hard to dial in and sounding similar are about these 4 amps. They are designed that way as they are steps in the Mark path.

But Mark 1 is now over 45 years old.
    Times have changed and MB have released over 50 very different amps since then.

Some of their amps now have very similar cleans and reverb.
    For example, after success of the Lonestar their exceptional cleans and reverb were put into the Express, Roadster, Electra Dyne, Mark V.

The fantastic Mark series mid to high gain tones were put into all the Marks, the Express, Triple Crown with variations in each.

Then they've had some major diversions.
    The Rectifiers took high gain and metal tones into new classic areas and quickly became legendary.
    The last Rectifier (Roadster) added in Lonestar cleans and reverb.
    F Series amps also had Rectifier gain tones and Mark series cleans.

They've tried some Marshall sounding amps with Stiletto and Electra Dyne.
    They went for Vox AC and mid gain british tones in the Atlantic series.
    They've made clean low gain amps in the Lonestars, Fillmore, California Tweed.
    They've made super versatile amps covering almost everything in the Express, Mark V and Triple Crown.

They're added in very powerful EQ sections so you can dial in, or dial out, almost anything you want.
    I've heard many people go on about a Boogie mid freq hump.
    Yes you can dial that into most of them if you want.
    Equally you can easy dial it out if you want - use the dials - that's what they're for :)

No other amp maker has so many different amps with such a wide variety of tones, EQ options, designs and features. If you want big and heavy they give you big heavy, if you want clean with super high headroom they make that. You can get hard to dial in or easy to dial in, heads, combos, rack mounts, 5 watts or 100 watts.
    There's something for everyone in their range.

So when people say Boogies sound the same I ask - which Boogies?
    Yes if all you've played is a Mark 1 then Mark IIC sounds similar - its designed that way.

I deliberately chose 2 very different Boogie's.
    An Express 5:50 combo and a Mark V head.
    6L6 and EL84 tubes - they do 5 watts, 10 watts, 25 or 50 watts.
    Mark V does every tone in the whole Mark series plus more - like Lonestar cleans, reverb and Marshall like crunch. Express is more 6L6 Fender cleans, modern mid-high gain and bluesy overdrive.

Express has over 50 fantastic tones inside.
    Mark V has over 100.
    Like almost all Boogies they're all different :)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    Ricochet likes this.
  6. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Chris Hickey from Canada did great job on vocals.
    I emailed him the backing track I made, he recorded it with a friend doing backing vocals in Toronto, sent it back and I did the rest :)

blueruins likes this.
  7. loudnlousy

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany

You are right, Waxhead.
    I did not intend to bash Mesa Boogie. Sorry that I made the impression.
    I love their products, owned quite a few over the years and even bought a Stiletto some weeks ago.

Waxhead likes this.
  8. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    No problem - how is your Stiletto going :)

9. loudnlousy

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Super enjoyable amp. Way too many options for me. I am still exploring it.
    The guys in the band liked it, too. It is a keeper.
    As soon as my new Strat is working I will try it out with the Stiletto. Should be fun. I am very excited.

Waxhead likes this.
  10. Seamus

Seamus Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2011
    New England
    Wow! I'm a longtime Strat player, and I have to say that's one of the least standard Strat-like Strat tones I've heard. Which I think is pretty cool. I'm amazed at the versatility of this very old design. I did get confused by that -- it seemed clear that the fatter tone had to be Filtertrons, but that first solo had me wondering what was going on.

I am not generally an Eagles fan, but I really enjoyed this track all the same, thanks to your nice playing. Thanks for sharing.

manunk and Waxhead like this.
  11. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Put the fatter Strat tone down to the Express 5:50 amp.
    I've never been a fan of the thin weak tones that many single coil guitars produce so I always try to fatten them up. With Fender amps it's tough to do but real easy with modern Mesa amps cos they have much more powerful EQ controls.

12. Seamus

Seamus Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2011
    New England
    Interesting! I think that's part of why I favor Vox tones -- I was a Strat player almost exclusively for about 20 years, and finally dialled in a tone to my liking with Texas Special pickups and Vox. Single-coils can definitely be too thin in my thinking, too.

Waxhead likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice