Join Gretsch-Talk Today

I bought my 1st Marshall...

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by hcsterg, Sep 11, 2018.

1. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Is it serious ? :eek:

I serviced dozens of Marshall amps, played many of them occasionally, hated most of them and really appreciated some of them... But never owned one.

A friend of mine was selling his little Marshall Class5, and left it at my home during his holidays.

I played several of them, the 1st series were rattling like hell, that problem being corrected on the 2nd series. But both have a great overdrive sounding, smooth and touch-responsive, along with fine clean possibilities at lowered volume, just like a 18W 1974X RI that I had in hands some time ago. Really nothing to do with the recent ones and their :mad::mad::mad: tone !

The price was cool, so OK, let's be tempted and buy it... For the fun :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

It's a 2nd version, from 2010, labelled "Made in England" o_O.

Hey, no reverb... :oops:. Why not creating a one-of-a-kind "Marshall Class5 Plexi Edition" adding this missing device ? Easy... ;) :D

A+!

2. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

I know this is really silly, because they are great amps, but that 'Class 5' logo on the control panel just seems wrong. It's so.....not Marshall. o_O

hcsterg and Outlaw like this.
  3. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I am a big fan of vintage Marshalls.
    Although not everything modern from them is fine with my very particular taste I respect their fine ear and openness to new things.
    The Class 5 model definitively found its fans. At least over here in Germany.
    Congrats on your new acquisition.

hcsterg likes this.
  4. rob batz

rob batz Synchromatic

Apr 17, 2014
    Bristol ct.
    Very cool !! Congrats !!!i want a good practice size amp as well

hcsterg likes this.
  5. fender62custom

fender62custom Gretschified

Mar 3, 2012
    Helidon, Australia
    Congrats & enjoy!!

hcsterg likes this.
  6. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Very cool.

hcsterg likes this.
  7. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Congrats.

hcsterg likes this.
  8. Outlaw

Outlaw Gretschie

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    I'm not really a fan of Marshall amps, I associate them with rock and metal.

But that Class 5 does look nice.

Stonepicking, 6124Bassman and hcsterg like this.
  9. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Synchromatic

Jan 22, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    I have a love/hate relationship with Marshalls. I had an early Valvestate in the early '90s which sounded ok, but was unreliable, then had a JMP-1 rack pre-amp which was amazing for 'Marshall' tones, but nothing else. At the same time, my Dad had a Marshall JCM800 2x12 100 watt combo (4212, I think?) that was just an amazing 'all rounder' amp - he played in a 50s/60s R n R band and a mate of mine borrowed it a couple of times in a band that did 70s rock n blues music.
    Still 'rack mounted - Mesa pre/Marchall power - and have been exteremely happy with that recipe for over 25 years... Guess the moral of my story is, when it comes to Marshalls, stick to 'all valves'?

Nevertheless, I wish you a long and happy relationship.

hcsterg likes this.
  10. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Cute little guy , enjoy and congrats

hcsterg likes this.
  11. PDogga

PDogga Gretschie

Jul 3, 2011
    Perth
    Congrats on the Class5. I really want to hear more about the 18W 1974X RI though. This is perhaps one of the only amps I am still curious about trying but they are not cheap and I've never had the opportunity to try one.

hcsterg likes this.
  12. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Thank you, Guys !

Yes. The advantage is that it would left room for another knob (reverb). Otherwise, it's possible to redesign and built a panel with additional speed, intensity and reverb controls (in engraved plexi ;)).

A+!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  13. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    It's loud as is. You can switch to the phone position and connect the speaker for home use.

So do I. And yes, the Class5 has a great vintage sound, nothing to do with heavy/ugly tones.

Yes the 1974X is not cheap, but it's a really good amp for vintage bluesy tones - again, nothing to do with modern marshalls. It notably sounded much better when overdriven than my 1980 PR :

[​IMG]

The Class5 is very close to 1974X in term of overdrive tone, at a fraction of the cost (and the power too). It's a very good - not to say the best alternative to the 18W - if you don't need too much loudness.

A+!

PDogga, Outlaw, LivingMyDream and 2 others like this.
  14. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Congrats!

I probably wind up playing my Class 5 ~2x any of the others, it's my defacto practice amp. Totally agree on the similarity of character w/ the 1974x, the Class 5 is just a bit more manageable for earplug free play.

hcsterg likes this.
  15. Wow! Nice amps! Rig them in stereo and get the reverb going on the Princeton... Then post sound samples! Congrats!

PDogga and hcsterg like this.
  16. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Congrats on adding the Class 5 to your collection!

hcsterg likes this.
  17. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Thank you Guys !

Well, it's not possible anymore :(... The 18W 1974X RI belongs to a friend who bought it at a reasonable price because it was (poorly-master-volume) modded by the previous owner :rolleyes:. I had it for restoration to its original condition, and yes : it's a great amp, with an excellent overdriven tone, nothing to do with the jigsaw or grinder tone found on modern Marshalls (and not only them). So good that I was tempted to built one (with the addition of a reverb)...

I'll try to borrow it again ot compare it side to side with the Class5, but my pal is an old rock'n'roller now always on gigs with it ;) ! That said, by ear memory, the 18W and the class5 offers a very close overdriven tone, loudness apart, as just stated by Sid Nitzerglobin some posts before.

A+!

ishtar likes this.
  18. I thought the Princeton was yours! My bad!

Curious to hear what you might come up with for samples.

19. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Yes... Well... No !

You were right : the Fender Princeton is mine. It's the Marshall 18W 1974X you see beside my PR on the picture which belongs to my Rock'n'Roll pal ! You probably thought that it was my Class5 which was displayed instead... I was not clear in my description, I must confess :oops:.

Yes ! I SHOULD have made samples when the 1974X was here... :mad:.

But good idea : I'll try to make and post here samples of the Class5 vs. the PR, despite that one is a 5W and the other a 14W. But I'm already sure of the result : the PR won't compete in terms of OD tone vs. the Class5, like he was vs. the 1974X...

A+!

ishtar likes this.
  20. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Oh, I discovered that they made this nice "Custom Shop" version of the Class5...

[​IMG]
    This gives me ideas... For example a 5W Plexi version including reverb and tremolo... OK...:rolleyes:

A+!