I am too young for this kind of music...

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by loudnlousy, Dec 21, 2019.

1. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Just back from a concert.
    My drummer gave me the concert-ticket as a birthday present.
    It was one of the very rare occasions that I had the opportunity to have an evening out without my family and all the sorrows that dragged me down during the last months.
    And I did enjoy it because I met a lot of old musician-friends there that I saw the last time at least 10 years ago.
    So I enjoyed this part very much.

What I did not enjoy that much was the concert itself.
    The artist was a very talented former class-mate of mine that is somkind of a local-legend.
    He was known for his very rocking, anarchic and very idiosyncratic music and stage-show. Big entertainment.
    In fact he sold out the biggest club in town around christmas-time for sometimes no less then 3 shows in a row. For decades!
    A true spectacle.
    That`s what I expected tonight.

I knew that he had a new cd out but I did not have a listen to it before. That was a mistake.
    First I was astonished that the concert was not sold out when I arrived there. The club was only half-packed.

Tonight he presented himself with a new image. He played super-oldstyle German schlager (with brilliant musicians among them a über-sexy and very professional female background-singer that really helped me not to fall asleep). All original songs but the kind of simple, predictable and schmalzy music that my grandmother would have appreciated. That was quite a shock for me.
    I was even more shocked when I realised that at least 20% of the audience were under 30 years old. Fiercely partying to that granny-stuff. OMG. To me it looked and sounded like a bad business- decision in the end. And I doubt that he made enough money with it to pay for his expences.

It is totally o.k. with me when an artist decides to change his image and music. Don`t get me wrong.
    I still honour the incredible talent of this man.

But that was such a drastic and unpredicted (at least for me) change to a style of music that I find to be totally out and dated.
    There is a "modern" trend towards music in German language over here. And it is fresh and pop and somehow o.k. imho. I guess that he wanted to jump on that train.
    But that was so unfresh and not modern at all.
    Not even nostalgic reasons could make me party on that. (I had a glass of water throughout the evening. Maybe I should have got something stronger...) Still scratching my head.
    Have you experienced something like that, too?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  2. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

May 31, 2018
    NC
    j.s.c, Gretschtim1, pmac11 and 3 others like this.
  3. loudnlousy

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Wow. That`s a cool sight from outside on that theme. Thank you for sharing this article, dak55.
    Although this special examples are the very peak of schlager-rubbish.

Helene Fisher is no. 8 in the world`s most earning femal musicians according to Forbes.
    But she is "modern" Schlager which is not better than any other disposable pop music from other parts of the world only with German language.
    But this was not meant as a rant about Schlager but changing a musical image and style without need and upsetting original fans.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
    Charlie westside likes this.
  4. slickfaster

slickfaster Gretschie

Dec 29, 2009
    Redondo bch.
    There is a German themed restaurant/ mock village with market and out door beer garden, “Alpine Village”. In my area.
    This style of Muzak is piped through out the facility. I think it enhances the vibe when visiting. Elsewhere I could not keep an interest.

Runamok and loudnlousy like this.
  5. loudnlousy

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Again: This special musical genre is not my main problem. It is the sole decision of an artist to jump on a trend and missing the train completely.
    I listen back to some music from the 90ies.
    Even our world-wide loved Scorpions tried their talent on unbearable trends to sell records and failed bitterly.

6. Outlaw

Outlaw Synchromatic

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    10 seconds into that vid and I was out of there!!
    I could'nt handle being stuck at a concert having to listen to that rubbish!
    Each to there own and all that, but come on!

Uncle Daddy, gruffydd3 and loudnlousy like this.
  7. slickfaster

slickfaster Gretschie

Dec 29, 2009
    Redondo bch.
    I was first a Rock n Roller and German band “ACCEPT” was one of my favorites!
    Scorpions yes, Michael Shanker YES!!!
    UFO⚡️

j.s.c, larryb and loudnlousy like this.
  8. loudnlousy

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Accept was the first major act I attended in a concert. Metal!!!
    It was a club in Hannover called "Röhre".
    The upper floor was fabriced of somekind of a metal grid. Three meters below was a big dance-floor.
    When then the intro started the audience started to jump up and down violently and the metal grid started to break!!!! A possible death trap.
    The concert was stopped immediately and they evacuated the whole audience. When they restarted it -after a threadbare repair- I remember fainting because of exhaustion (no alcohol involved). The opening act was Samson (the original Band of Bruce Dickinson`s latter Iron Maiden). I stood right in front of Paul Samson`s Marshall stack and he litterally fried my ears. I had tinnitus for 3 days.

slickfaster likes this.
  9. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Gretschie

Nov 18, 2019
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    IMO age doesn't really matter. Everyone has their own tastes in music. You like what you like. Many people like classical music that was written several hundred years ago, so there's that.. Think of all the times classical music has been used in soundtracks etc..

gruffydd3, wabash slim and loudnlousy like this.
  10. loudnlousy

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Would you decide to choose a totally different musical direction (to your aproved and tested one) and expect your audience to follow?

JeffreyLeePierre and CalicoSkies like this.
  11. slickfaster

slickfaster Gretschie

Dec 29, 2009
    Redondo bch.
  12. Sean McILwaine

Sean McILwaine Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2012
    London UK
    Well it worked for David Bowie :)

loudnlousy likes this.
  13. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    David Bowie always had an ear for good guitar players.

Henry, Outlaw, Jeff67 and 1 other person like this.
  14. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

This was interesting to hear. Sounds to me like something Lawrence Welk might have had on his show if he was still alive today (he would be 116).

Outlaw, loudnlousy and Waxhead like this.
  15. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    ok dunke shoen
    I learned something from reading your post.
    I learned what German schlager music is :)

Not my cup of tea either but at least you got a free ticket and met some old friends.

I also find much of what many people in their 20s and 30s listen too, and love, today to be very old fashioned, boring and out-dated. They think it's all soooo cutting edge, new and exciting whereas I often find it a boring re-hash of some old crap I didn't like when I was 20 :)

16. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Schlager?
    I'll call that bet with some Lawrence Welk.
    Then, I'll raise that with a uni show choir.
    I grew up with polka bands. I knew guys that put themselves thru uni playing in them.
    It can always get worse.

17. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

So Wabash - are you saying you're old enough to well know the genre?:D

loudnlousy likes this.
  18. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Wait a minute - that darn video has given me an earworm (Frau Kaptain, Frau Kapitan...)o_O

drmilktruck, Outlaw and loudnlousy like this.
  19. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Yup! Smile when you say that, sonny.
    When I was a kid, everything was mono and in black and white, and powered by steam.

20. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Man, you have to remember that for somebody music is business. It makes you pay the bills, mortgage, family needs. The more if you have an high life (like most of well-established musician do, sometimes even beyond their real possibilities).
    Would you consider to make a U (or, at list, 90 degrees) turn on your everyday business (aka your work) if that would mean more money and more future chances to expand your business? I think that you would at list give it a try.
    Popular music (especially in the old Europe... in this Italy it’s not that different from Germany) it’s business for a lot of people. And believe me, sometimes it’s hard to say no to a bunch of money “for the love of rock’n’roll”.
    Only amateur musicians have the freedom to do that. Those who rely on the business side don’t.

Henry and loudnlousy like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice