Join Gretsch-Talk Today

I am a GRETSCHIE! Are you?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Tony65x55, Sep 7, 2017.

1. zebulon

zebulon Gretschie

Aug 8, 2017
    oxford
    [​IMG]

2. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    That's funny!

3. ronbo

ronbo Gretschie

Feb 28, 2012
    Broomfield, Colorado
    I am a Gretschie...since my first electric, a '73 Tennessean! Was without a Gretsch for 20 years, and kept trying to find another brand that sounded as cool and played as well. Now that I'm back, I'm back for good! I also like Guilds, Reverends and many other brands, but can't imagine a time I won't own at least 1 Gretsch...

audept and Tony65x55 like this.
  4. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Gretschie

Feb 20, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Broadkaster.JPG Well, I'd like to be a Gretschie... I really would. Problem is, I don't play guitars very much; I'm one of those pesky bass players; and a lefty, on top of that. The folks at the factory don't seem to think there are any of us left on the planet, I guess. My '94 Broadkaster is the ONLY left handed Gretsch bass I - or anybody else, far as I can tell - have ever seen. Sure would like to have another Gretsch bass or three, but...:(

5. Rikki Ericson

Rikki Ericson Gretschie

Aug 25, 2017
    England
    Back in the 70s, if you were a zeppelin fan, you felt like you were a member of a secret cult. It didn't matter that you knew they were the most popular band on the planet. I find that owning a Gretsch has a similar aura to it. Like a globally popular secret cult... ;-)

T Bone, loudnlousy and Tony65x55 like this.
  6. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    Just wait until we finish the takeover of planet Earth and force all the little children to play Gretsch guitars. Bwa-ha-ha-ha.

T Bone, russmack and Rikki Ericson like this.
  7. brion

brion Gretschie

Feb 28, 2013
    Independence, KY
    After flirting with Gretsch guitars for the last ten or so years, I've become a Gretschie. My first was a Bamboo Yellow Anniversary model. That one didn't stay with me too long. I wasn't ready... My next was an early Setzer Hot Rod, which I kept for a couple of years I also picked up a non Bigsby Anniversary during that time, which was a phenomenal sounding guitar, yet I sold them both. Had a 5120 sold it. Got a Duo Jet still have it. Got a 5420, then got a Lime Gold Hot Rod and sold the 5420. I've barely touched any of my other guitars since. The Hot Rod is great and the Jet is right there with it, just two great guitars. I still have two each of Fender, Gibson and Hamer guitars, but my Gretsch guitars get most of my attention these days.

8. Gretschman2

Gretschman2 Country Gent

Apr 8, 2013
    Enetai, WA
    I am a card carrying Gretschie for sure. I only have two though, my modded 5120 and my 6128 TCG. Between the two, I haven't had the urge to play or aquire anything else for some time now. My Martin acoustic has been ignored for a long time and the Strat that was willed to me from a deceased friend has yet to get much attention. I can't seem to get on with guitars without Bigsbys anymore. I must admit that a nice Duesenberg could make a fine family addition though, but is not financially in the cards for me right now. Plus, my wife thinks I suffer from a sickness as a result of the few guitars I do have.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  9. Rikki Ericson

Rikki Ericson Gretschie

Aug 25, 2017
    England
    Many a true word etc. Solid bodies reigned supreme while amps had to be big and loud. With tech advances it's no longer necessary, so we might well see a hollow body renaissance eventually. Guitar players were always slow on the uptake. :-D

Tony65x55 likes this.
  10. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Mmh, maybe this renaissance already started, when I see that Schecter, a company that mainly concentrates on Metal guitars, released a Panther clone called Corsair.

They even released a Robin Zander Signature Corsair, that looks a bit like a double cut white Falcon.

Tony65x55 and Rikki Ericson like this.
  11. MikeyUK

MikeyUK Gretschie

Dec 15, 2016
    Rochdale, GB
    I spent 30 years lusting after a Gretsch guitar. When I finally bought my Tennessee Rose it was not a disappointment. It forced me to also buy a VoxAC15C1 amp. And it is currently talking me into about £400 worth of pedals. It is pretty much the only guitar I now play. It is ruining me financially. So I reckon I am a Gretschie.

I also have a T-shirt.

T Bone, Tony65x55, Kitvin713 and 2 others like this.
  12. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    50% of my electric guitar collection are Gretsch.
    I usually pick up a Gretsch or pick up a Gretsch.
    I wouldn't be on this site if I didn't play Gretsch :)

Tony65x55, blc45 and audept like this.
  13. mbkri

mbkri Synchromatic

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    I got my first Gretsch in 1992. Got my second Gretsch in 93. And thats all Ive been buying and playing ever since. 25 years next month (October). I currently have one electomagic and 4 prolines.
    Ive sold a few and I miss them. Ive been fortunate perhaps never to have had a bad one. I definitely think of myself as a Gretsch player and a Gretschie.
    I bought a Fender Jag two weeks ago and I'm still shocked at how different it is to hold, to play and to write for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tony65x55 likes this.
  14. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    My Gretsches, five of them are about 1/5 of my collection and neck and neck with Harmony for most of a single brand. Pretty sure my Pro Jet is my favorite electric so, yeah i recon i am.

Tony65x55 likes this.
  15. MatchlessMan

MatchlessMan Country Gent

Nov 29, 2010
    Swindon UK
    Hmmm... I wouldn't call myself a 'Gretschie'. I own a Gretsch and I would not part with it, but my non-Gretsch working collection comprises 6 electric guitars, 2 acoustic guitars, 3 bass guitars, and a ukulele bass. They are all great for a particular range of jobs, and I value each of them for what they are.

TSims1 likes this.
  16. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Oh aye,i have one or two T-shirts myself!:oops::)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mr. Lumbergh, MikeyUK, T Bone and 3 others like this.
  17. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Country Gent

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    O.K. I must confess it here: To the utmost disapproval of my wife I own and wear at least 6 Gretsch t-shirts regularly when not at work (where I have to wear a suit). If one of them ever gets pitted I will replace it immediately.
    (I do not own any Ts of other brands.)

18. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Country Gent

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    O.K. This may get a little strange, but I actually wear this around my neck:
    IMG_2155.JPG

So yes: I am a Gretschie.

No questions about my underwear, folks....
    And for the record: No genital-piercings.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    NJDevil, MikeyUK, JC higgy and 4 others like this.
  19. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Wooo that's a fine collection JC.
    I've only got 2 of those :)

JC higgy and T Bone like this.
  20. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    That's fantastic, I love it!

PS: I don't care what the tattoo on yer butt says! :)

loudnlousy likes this.