Join Gretsch-Talk Today

I am a GRETSCHIE! Are you?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Tony65x55, Sep 7, 2017.

1. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    When talking about electric guitars, certainly I'm a Gretschie. No intention to get another brand ever again, at least what it comes to hollow bodies. And I don't even like anything else but hollow bodies :). Should someone hand me some other brand, should I ever win in a non existing guitar lottery, sure I'd give it a try before getting rid of it. But buying something else than Gretsch, are you out of your mind? :eek::p

Tony65x55 and audept like this.
  2. stiv

stiv Gretschie

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Well altough I only have one Gretsch, I consider myself a Gretschie. I searched for years into the guitar world for some axe with a more distinctive sound of my 6120 but never found it. And I'm talking about a huge amount of guitars, vintage and new, of all brands, from 100 dollars cheapos to vintage strongholds (that I still own, a few of them). One could maybe tell that a Gretsch isn't the most versatile guitar in the market (maybe Strats and Teles are), but no guitar sounds like a Gretsch.
    The only bad thing about Gretsch is that now it became too expensive for my pockets...:(

3. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    I'm a Gretschie ...although I have owned 5 over the years I have only one at the moment.

4. Highroller

Highroller Gretschie

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    I love my Gretsches, and that includes the drums as well as the guitars, but I own other stuff too.

So yeah, I'm a Gretschie, but I'm also a Guildie, a Fenderie, a Reverendie ...

---

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    benjwri, ronbo, audept and 1 other person like this.
  5. Gretsch6120

Gretsch6120 Gretschie

Mar 7, 2010
    Kingston Ontario Canada
    Me a Gretschie? No not at all........

audept and Tony65x55 like this.
  6. Zeke

Zeke Electromatic

Aug 14, 2017
    United States
    I haven't played another guitar since I got my first Gretsch recently, and I now have another one on the way. My previous fav guitars are a Nash T-52 relic and a Gibson ES LP and they are getting no love now though I do look at them every day. I know I'll play them again, but I can't put the Gretsch down. It's coming closest to giving me the sound I hear in my head. I have woken up in the middle of the night to play, if even only for a few minutes.
    I can dig folks liking Gretsches without actually playing guitar, or preferring another brand. The Gretsch brings to mind a time in our past - cars with big fins, early rock and roll, rebellion, etc. They also aren't the most common guitar out there, so they represent individuality. It's more than a guitar, it's a symbol, it makes a statement.

audept, Tony65x55 and Ricochet like this.
  7. sleeperNY

sleeperNY Gretschie

Jun 18, 2008
    central NY
    I guess I am a Gretschie. I have had a Gretsch in the house for the last 50 years. I currently have 3 that will be with me until I die. A 6122-58
    6122-59
    6120-55
    I have had a few that looking back on I should have kept, but youth got in the way and I let a 68 White Falcon and a 73 Super Chet go. I do have several other make guitars including a Mark1 Mosrite. I built a LesPaul copy and a Telecaster copy.

Jim

audept and Tony65x55 like this.
  8. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    Whew, what a relief! Then count me in!

9. T Bone

T Bone Gretschie

Am I a Gretschie? Yep, at least according to my forum title :D. That will change when I make enough more posts.

I have 3 currently (about 10% of the collection), and there are several more "on the list" (which is getting more gretsch heavy as I check off less expensive guitars I buy).

Tony, we also seem to both have a fondness for Strats (I have 12) and Teles (only 3 there for me). I love guitars in general (duh!) and have several other brands.

I think the reason we have a lot of non Gretsch owners (and even haters?) here is just because it is such a cool place to hang out with a lot of really good people.

But yep, I'm a Gretschie.

Tony65x55, audept and russmack like this.
  10. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Gretschie

May 20, 2016
    Australia
    Yes I'm a Gretschie!

I only have two Prolines and they will be with me until the end.
    For years I have tried Gibsons top of the range to the tributes and have never been able to get a sound out of them I enjoy - I play mostly clean.

Finding Gretsch gave me a Humbucker sound I could use and those beautiful Dynasonics.

Fenders are always my other love and particularly Telecasters.

I don't mind that some members don't own a Gretsch BUT I do not enjoy those who don't own them and constantly knock them - I'd rather see them somewhere else.

11. Andrew Griffin

Andrew Griffin Gretschie

Oct 22, 2015
    I have a Takamine acoustic I almost never pick up, so I strung it Nashville tuning and have fun with that every once in a while. And I have a Blueridge parlor which sounds lovely, but the neck is too wide so I rarely play it. And I have a whole pile of Gretsch guitars because they're ab fab. I take turns playing favorites. Right now I'm thinking my New Yorker sounds great, and sometimes I'm all about my 5191, and sometimes it's my 6120. Great guitars. I drank the kool aid.

12. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Country Gent

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I use quite a vew different guitars depending on what the music calls for.
    But I enjoy playing my Gretsch guitars the most. I had to thin out the collection for financial reasons and it hurt me far more than selling my Gibsons and Fenders.
    If there is a guitar brand I really can relate to it is Gretsch for sure.
    Sound, feel, look, image, history, quality and originality . They are the complete package.

13. Dead Roman

Dead Roman Country Gent

Dec 22, 2015
    Texas
    I am gonna have to say that I really dig a big ole sexy gretsch. If anything, I just want a big beautiful white falcon, but there are just so many guitars now that are better in nearly every other aspect but "Gretchieness" and looks. Almost any solid body is a lot easier to play and stays in tune better. But there's nothing like a big ole gretsch hollow body for sure.

14. zebulon

zebulon Electromatic

Aug 8, 2017
    oxford
    I take offense to the term "gretschie"
    [​IMG] it's hate speak and I won't be marginalized.[​IMG]

benjwri, Tony65x55 and audept like this.
  15. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

In the 18 years that I have been playing guitars, I have gone through quite a few to find "my sound." I started with LP's/LP styled guitars and they are ok, but always seemed "dark" to my ears. I put Classic 57's in an Epi LP and I finally heard a sound that my ears liked, because I could hear more clarity in the upper end. I have never been a high gain player, and I always gravitated toward a more crunchy, clear tone, so Strats finally got my attention, and I pretty much settled in there (I currently have 4 Strats). I found an Ibanez Artcore AM 93 that had pickups that offered me the high end clarity and a bit of low end growl (like the Classic 57's, but with even more clarity), but it really doesn't get played much anymore. Why? Because I found Gretsch - I started with a 5120, and it sounded good to me because I had come from humbuckers. It had some of the Gretsch sound, but after a while I knew I had to go further down the Gretsch rabbit hole. I bought the 5420, partly because the Snow Crest White looked so good (to me, it was a White Falcon Lite), and my ears were ready to move closer to the Filtertron sound. Since then I have added a Tennessee Rose and a Pro Jet. I finally feel like I have found "my sound" with Gretsch and the Fender Stratocaster. Am I a Gretschie? Yep, when I took the Tennessee Rose off the wall at the music store, and knew the sound I heard was too awesome to walk away from, I knew right then that I was a (sorry @zebulon) Gretschie! :D

zebulon, Tony65x55 and audept like this.
  16. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Am I a Gretschie? Yes , i believe i am!

I've been playing Gretsch guitars since i got my 60's 6120 back in 1988,i do play Rickenbackers too ,mostly 12 string,but no were near as much as the Gretsches.
    Sold 2, (Super Chet and Country Classic I) but only to finance another,my old Gent!

Back in 2015 i bought a 54 Strat 60th Annie ,for a year and a half that was the only guitar i played regularly ,since December 2016 i've playing a Duo Jet.
    I love Fenders and Gibsons too,i just don't own many,well no Gibbos at the moment.

But Gretsch was always the guitar i wanted from when i was a small kid ,so i've found my guitar sound ,look ,image etc...

I'm John and i'm a Gretschaholic.;)

T Bone, Axeman, zebulon and 3 others like this.
  17. Axeman

Axeman Gretschie

Apr 25, 2014
    Ottawa
    All Gretsch, All the time!

I could be happy only buying Gretsches.

Tony65x55, audept and ZackyDog like this.
  18. Mag3

Mag3 Gretschie

Nov 22, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Yes

Tony65x55 likes this.
  19. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Gretschie

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    I was visiting my Brother out east and brought 3 of my guitars. He plays well and it was fun playing together. I picked up my orange 5420T and played the opening to Mr. Sandman, (Chet Style). He said , "hey that guitar has the perfect tone for that song".....

20. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Friend of Fred

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I'm glad I started this thread and it's terrific to be here with you all.

:)

T Bone, LivingMyDream, Mag3 and 3 others like this.