I’m really liking this new model from Fender, Jazzmaster Ultra

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by radd, Nov 10, 2019.

1. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Gonna haveta play 1

2. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

Got a call from GC today to let me know that they have another EC Artist Series Strat in, as well the Ultra Strats. I'll be heading in to have some time with the EC, and I'll look forward to trying the Ultra Strat.

Waxhead and pmac11 like this.
  3. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    67BC4E24-7D6D-4433-9A14-EEBA875147D4.jpeg

I have an EC strat, there is a lot about it to love. Having said that as much as I loved that soft v neck I could never adjust to the heavily rolled fingerboard. I was constantly pushing both E strings off the fingerboard when playing lead. I eventually gave up and put a different neck on it.

Have fun playing the Fenders

4. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

If you don't mind, what neck did you put on it, and how was the result? I have a thread that I started tonight that goes to this question.

5. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    LivingMyDream likes this.
  6. DHart

DHart Synchromatic

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    LMD... two things to consider with Fender neck replacements on Fenders:

1) Fender necks that are "take-off"s (as from Stratosphere) - these will be immediate replacements - no need to file nut slots. These necks have been fitted to Fender bodies at the factory and are straight-ahead bolt-on, string-up, set-up, and PLAY. No need to file nut slots. This is the easiest, quickest solution to getting a new neck on a Fender. And there is a little bit of a premium to pay for that. You see photos of the actual necks being sold.

2) Fender "replacement" necks that are not "take-offs". These are just as good as "take-offs", however, they have never been fitted to a body and you will need to file the string slots in the nut to the correct specifications (or have that done for you). Typically, you won't see the actual photo of the actual neck that you are buying, if appearances might matter to you.

Personally, I have gone the Stratosphere route where you can see the actual photos of the necks you would buy. These are new necks, just removed from the bodies they were attached to at the factory. And they bolt on and string up in a matter a a few quick minutes. No need to cut nut slots and I've never had a problem with mounting them on about 12 Fender Tele and 4 Fender Strat bodies.

There are also 3rd party necks supplied by Warmoth, Allparts, etc. These are good quality necks, but the bolt-on-and-play factor may not be quite as quick and effortless, and they do not carry the Fender-brand name, with the benefits accruing to that name. There is a price difference for these reasons.

What might your choice be?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    LivingMyDream and Jeff67 like this.
  7. GOOBALL JEFF

GOOBALL JEFF Gretschie

Oct 1, 2019
    london
    lets just hope they don't start using circuit boards! and that they learned from gibsons mistakes, leo got it right the first time, i don't like this modern stuff.

Flouswa and Lionpotato like this.
  8. DHart

DHart Synchromatic

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    Yep, the EC model does have a battery powered boost circuit built into the guitar. Not unlike the Alembic "Stratoblaster" that many of us installed in our Strats in the mid-seventies. To boost the signal from the low-wind single coil pickups.

I wasn't too keen on the idea of the circuit board in my 2012 Les Paul Standard, but it performed flawlessly over the years. I did install a traditional '50s wiring harness for a time, just because I COULD, but there was no audible difference in tone.

I've read a lot of folks on the Les Paul forum recently saying that they haven't had any issues with the Gibson circuit board either. I think the main complaint was simply that it just isn't "old school" wiring.

Over time, people will adjust to and ultimately come to accept guitar circuit boards and quick connects in guitars - especially after we old folks all drop off of the conveyor belt of life.

Of course, I do like old school '50s wiring, have made a number of harnesses that way, and have no problem with that a-tall!

Jeff67 and GOOBALL JEFF like this.
  9. GOOBALL JEFF

GOOBALL JEFF Gretschie

Oct 1, 2019
    london
    I stand by "if it ain't broke don't fix it" it's probably cheaper for gibson to get a circuit board made in china than it is to make the steel core braided wire, they will sell you the idea as an improvement but actually it's nonsense, and a battery does not belong in a guitar as far as i'm concerned! (also bad for the environment) the reason I stopped playing my es 335 was because the good old single coil sounded so much better! I am a traditionalist when it comes to guitars though, if you want modern buy an ibanez or something, it doesn't hurt to have other options I guess but I can't see many people going for the modern fenders or any other brand? I mean haven't gibson gone back to the classics? what if they were to put a battery in a gretsch penguin? it would be an abomination! so why is it okay for fender or gibson? but like I said I am very much a traditionalist when it comes to guitars, I even think six saddles on a tele looks out of place, each to their own though. there is this one guy on youtube called "the trogly's guitar show" he is what you guys in america might call a "gibson fan boy" who suggested a space themed space looking gibson, if that's the consumer then companies should not listen to them. but what am I on about anyway? i'm firing on one brain cell i'm sure...

Outlaw, Flouswa and Jeff67 like this.
  10. DHart

DHart Synchromatic

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    Hey Jeff... I understand your personal viewpoint. Nothing wrong with that. Just as nothing wrong with some of the more modern viewpoints.

There are classic traditional aspects that I appreciate (Fender vintage tuners with the hole in the center of the post), and some modern progressive aspects that I love also (6-saddle modern bridge on a Tele, or Switchcraft Les Paul style toggle switch on a Tele).

I have no allegiance to being "vintage correct" just as I have no allegiance to any particular modern "formula" of design. I'm perfectly fine with mixing vintage tuners on the head stock, with a 6-saddle modern bridge, and a Les Paul Switchcraft toggle pickup selector switch. I just choose whichever parts work the way I'd like them to work and that also happens to look great to me. But everyone has their own personal view on such things.

There is no right, nor wrong about these details - unless one is rigidly attached to conforming to an "ideal" of some sort - in which case, follow whatever formula which makes you happy. Each of us only needs to satisfy our unique personal desires - no one else's.

GOOBALL JEFF likes this.
  11. Jeff67

Jeff67 Gretschie

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    Yeah, I think it's the "New" factor. The electric guitar itself didn't take off right away, either...

12. Jeff67

Jeff67 Gretschie

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    Ditto on the Stratosphere stuff- I've bought a couple of Squier necks from them, and they went on with no neck fitting or nut trimming. I only had a problem with one of them, and that was my fault for not looking closely enough.:rolleyes: I bought a Squier Tele Deluxe neck to put on a Farida Tele- style body, and didn't notice it had a Strat- style heel. I really figured it would have the Tele heel, but I guess it's a Strat neck with a Tele decal. I just really wanted that big Strat headstock on a Tele- style body...

GOOBALL JEFF likes this.
  13. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    ....it's got your name on it

14. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Love that JM

manunk likes this.
  15. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Synchromatic

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    My only concern with those is that it has a 10-14” radius and a non-adjustable mustang style saddle 9.5” radius type bridge, I do believe, which will be a bit suboptimal all things considering.
    Edit: well in the video the bridge radius looks pretty flat actually so maybe it isn’t 9.5”, but hard to say if course.. anyway I’d like to check one out, I like all the tones it does, it would be a great recording guitar.

16. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

A mastery bridge would be in my future if I bought one.

diamoroso and RocknRollShakeUp like this.
  17. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Synchromatic

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    That’d take care of it!

Incidentally what radius would you set the mastery for, for a 10-14 compound radius? 12-ish?

18. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    looks great to me - how much does it sell for ?

19. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

Good question. I wonder if you set the bridge up for 14”, since it has a 10” radius nut I think, would the string radius sort of match the neck up and down. Just wondering. Could be the nut is 12” radius?

20. r0de0

r0de0 Gretschie

Jul 7, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    I like it! For 2 bobs? Would have to cull the herd.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice