Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Humcancelling dyna

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by Tele295, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

Jun 4, 2008
    Ventura, CA
    Why can't it be made? We've just about got the humcancelling Fender single coil size thing worked out. Either a dummy coil or 3/3 split coil.

And as long as I'm asking.....

Fit it under a Martin Dearmond cover
    [​IMG]

2. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

Jun 4, 2008
    Ventura, CA
    You could call it a Dynamart!

C'mon, you pickup mad scientist types, help a brother out

3. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    But the tone will be different... and I don't want that !

Ricochet and tartanphantom like this.
  4. Fredo

Fredo Synchromatic

Jan 18, 2010
    Georgia, USA
    I'd rather have half of a Dynasonic under the E, A, and D strings and half of a Filtertron under the other three. The low notes would be woody and twangy, and the high notes would be sweet and thick. It would cut the hum in half...I guess.

Rob Williams likes this.
  5. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I completely agree.

With Dynasonics, the real sweet spot in tone is in the middle switch position. If you made one RWRP (hum-cancelling) it would completely change the middle switch position tone. Not something I'm willing to give up for the sake of a little less hum.

audept likes this.
  6. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    It ends up twice as deep(in staggered coil formation) and will never sound the same.
    Hum cancelling always seems to neuter the tone & powah.

There is the sidewinding coil formation(as propagated by Fralin and Kinman) but you might as well make it a humbucker from the get go.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  7. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I wish they would make a squeal-cancelling Dyna.

8. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    That seems easy enough. Cut off the ridiculous surplus screw thread, and varnish the monkey mechanism tight.

audept likes this.
  9. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Heavy rubber bands tightly wound in and about the pole pieces and adjustment screws has always worked well for me.

audept likes this.
  10. Frank_NH

Frank_NH Synchromatic

Mar 25, 2013
    Lebanon, NH
    They do - it's called a T-Armond...:)

11. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    Also: why can't someone come up with a conversion kit to take Filtertrons and pop them into a Dynasonic guitar? I've never understood why you have to order a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT pickup to get it to work (so says the guy (me) who has never replaced pickups). We can put a man on the moon, but...

12. englishman

englishman Friend of Fred

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    It's a lot easier to squeeze a single coil into a double coil housing than it is to do the reverse. There's just physically not enough room.

DaddyDog likes this.
  13. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Friend of Fred

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    T-armonds are completely squeal free and middle position is hum cancelling. That is all you need. :)

14. journeyman

journeyman Gretschie

Aug 20, 2009
    Hamilton, Ontario
    My single coil dyna type pickups (T-Armonds) are dead quiet. Everytime I post the solution to the noise issue, I get the impression that folks don't believe me or they think the tone has been altered.
    http://www.ilitchelectronics.com/

The inventor designed the system for Fender guitars, but made mine to fit inside my 6120. The two TV Jones T-Armonds are not reverse wound, which was necessary for the system to work. He wanted to know the specs of the pickups, DC resistance, etc. and I thought it would be safest to have TV Jones send the pickups directly to him. I received everything pre soldered and my guitar tech installed everything. Before we did the final installation, I had him wire it up with a kill switch outside the guitar so we could AB the sound with it in and out of the circuit. Neither of us heard any difference in tone other than the fact that with it in the circuit, there was no noise. It wasn't cheap, but Im happy with the results. Some people seem to like the noise and consider it part of the charm of these pickups; each to his own.

DaddyDog likes this.
  15. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

Jun 4, 2008
    Ventura, CA
    Ilitch is right here in my backyard. I'll investigate further. Thanks for the heads up

16. Black Falcon

Black Falcon Newbie

Feb 5, 2017
    Antwerp
    My T-armond pick-up squeals just as bad as my gretsch dynasonics