Humbucker magnet polarity ? Education needed !

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by j.s.c, Aug 16, 2019.

1. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    Hey people,

I have participated to the Hilo wiring thread few weeks ago, where we talk about 2 single coils and I think I got the different combinaisons of two single coil pickups, but I just did understand how it works with 2 humbuckers, in particular filtertrons.

I tested the north polarity on my guitars (which don't sound out of phase to me) and here is my results, they surprised me as I expected to have same results for both pickups :

On my LesPaul :
    Neck pickup : north facing the bridge
    Bridge pickup : north facing the neck

That is to say that the two pickups are the same (same south to screws pole pieces orientation to be precise) but as they are installed one reversed to the other, then the polarity is changed as described above.

On my Filtertrons* : as usual just the opposite
    Neck pickup : north facing the neck
    Bridge pickup : north facing the bridge

1/So I wonder if this is normal to have both magnets in opposite orientation ??

2/Then, what is the standard for Gretsch filtertrons guitars ??

3/ Moreover, what is the conditions to have a out of phase humbuckers ??

*I have to say that I have opened and modified the pickups ... many times, so my set-up isn't stock and I could have made wrong rotation of the pickup itself.

Thanks experts !

tumblr_pgel6zAFVO1vmh7tlo1_500.gif

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    new6659 likes this.
  2. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    Bump for genius and experts !

3. ramjac

ramjac Synchromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I can only offer amateur advice. If an expert shows up, I was never here.

I do believe it is “normal” for manufacturers to install humbucking pickups with opposite neck and bridge orientations, e.g., neck pickup with screws (south) adjacent to neck and bridge pickup with screws adjacent to bridge. I don’t believe it actually matters which way the entire pickup is mounted with respect to the guitar, though, unless (a) the pickup is wound asymmetrically, or (b) you have previously adjusted the screws and later decide to flip the orientation.

I don’t know what the standard orientation is for Gretsch Filter’Trons.

Neck and bridge humbuckers become out-of-phase in the middle position when (a) the pickup wires of one of the pickups are reversed, or (b) the magnet of one of the pickups is flipped with respect to the windings.

j.s.c likes this.
  4. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    Need more...
    Where are you magnetic wizards and pickups experts ?!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice