Join Gretsch-Talk Today

HS pups

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by Bertotti, Oct 12, 2017 at 12:46 AM.

1. Bertotti

Bertotti Gretschie

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I have tried a few searches f the forums using the search function but perhaps I am searching the wrong terms. I am looking for the recommended set up heights for the HS pups. I would like to tweak them a bit because my B and E seem a tad higher than the rest of the strings and I would like to balance them a bit. Thanks for any help pointing me to the correct location for this information!

2. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I would advise some experimentation using these familiar tools :D

1200px-Screw_Driver_display.jpg ears.jpg

3. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Friend of Fred

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Generally, they like to be close to the strings. Great pickups.

4. Bertotti

Bertotti Gretschie

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Yes I will just tweak away but it is nice to have a base starting point. More for curiosity but to also know I am in the ball park. Thanks !

audept likes this.
  5. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Friend of Fred

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    The TVJ Classic starting point has worked with many Gretschies.

[​IMG]

Bertotti likes this.
  6. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

I get the screwdriver approach(for stabbing your guitar in frustration), but how on EARTH do sideburns help with pickup heights??

audept and T Bone like this.
  7. Bertotti

Bertotti Gretschie

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Come now guys we all know the sideburns must be trimmed back for critical listening, they tend to function as a comb filter! hahahaha

TSims1 likes this.
  8. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    You can also raise the poles so they match the radius of the fretboard and then experiment from there (this is what I did).

ZackyDog likes this.
  9. Bertotti

Bertotti Gretschie

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I have adjusted plenty of pole piece on single coil pups but never on a HB. Do you adjust both adjacent pole pieces to the same height or is there some sort of offset? In my head they should be the same but reality can often be different.

10. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    I remember posting the Filtertron height adjustment diagram (see above) on another post. I thought it was helpful to you?

Yes, this too. ^

11. Bertotti

Bertotti Gretschie

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I remember, I did use it and my initial settings are to the image. It did help, I found that it was already set this way from the factory. I will just start tweaking polepieces at the high e since ti is the one that seems brittle now. I still haven't put the new strings on, maybe it is the nature of these NYXL to do this over time.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017 at 8:33 PM