How / want to play better

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Far To Many, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Synchromatic

May 20, 2016
    Australia

Henry likes this.
  2. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Hmm it is the G shape. I bar strings 2 thru 4 and add typically the 5th string (2 frets up) or 6th string. Or, like I said, I add some other variation like the m7 on the 6rh string. Maybe I don't see the CAGED thingy as rigidly as others, to me it's just riffing on shapes. After all the open chords are just that, open chords, so you have to either add a bar or do something else to make it work. Regardless of the system, it's just one way to learn new chord shapes and versions, especially for those who don't know theory.

3. midnight340

midnight340 Gretschie

Nov 29, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    Love this thread!!!

For anyone who wants to learn basic guitar (music) theory and application in an understandable easy to follow manner:

Justinguitar .com has ebooks that you can download and print out. If there is a cost it is reasonable.

These will teach (with fretboard diagrams) most everything here ...without grappling with heavy theory. No CAGED, no obscure terminology, etc. tells you how to actually USE this stuff.

He calls it “Really Useful Guitar Stuff”

1) Practical Music Theory (part 1)
    2) Chord construction Guide (part 2)
    and
    3) Master The Major Scale
    This last comes with DVD lessons (or a series of online lessons.

If you’re not familiar with the major scale, it is the basis for everything. The ROOT of it all !!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice