How to not regret this?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by mbkri, Jan 28, 2019.

1. El Marin

El Marin Electromatic

Oct 4, 2018
    Madrid, Spain, EU
    I would keep the cream one

2. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Keep the black one. Black tele’s are cool.

3. nickurso

nickurso Friend of Fred

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Not to derail your post but where did you get the knobs on the blonde tele? I’m looking for something like that for my tele

4. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Look up “guitar knobs” on etsy. There’s some pretty cool stuff there.

nickurso likes this.
  5. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    If you are playing that Tele live you will need both (one as a backup). No doubt.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  6. Yukimajo

Yukimajo Gretschie

Nov 4, 2018
    Exeter UK
    If you feel that you are going to miss both then you need to keep them both and sell your children/spouse/neighbour's car instead.

But all joking aside, if you sell one guitar you will regret it, so don't sell either and wait for the new one until you can afford it outright. If after you have purchased it, you find your Teles are just gathering dust and you have no desire to pick them up again, that's when you sell them.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    mbkri likes this.
  7. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Gretschie

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    A friend of mine had hard times and had to sell her beloved bass. I bought it and told her when she’s back on her feet she could buy it back. Which she did a year later. A regret free transaction.

new6659, section2, loudnlousy and 2 others like this.
  8. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    That's the very best advice I've seen in decades! A perfect solution!

Personally, I'd keep Pamela. I think. Maybe the other one.

Sid Nitzerglobin and mbkri like this.
  9. mbkri

mbkri Synchromatic

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Wonderful scenario indeed. That would be wonderful. Its the not regretting it that im struggling with and this would seem to tackle that..... actually i contacted the bloke who bought my Jaguar to buy it back from him but he simply chuckled.

10. mbkri

mbkri Synchromatic

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Well, this has actually been helpful (and entertaining)
    What i have learned is that regret is inevitable in this situation but a practical reality since i cant afford to own as many guitars as i would like. So the regret will be easier to live with knowing that it is part of the “cost” of having as many guitars as i do.
    I have also gained financial wisdom @Yukimajo . Dont buy a guitar unless you can afford it outright, which avoids the whole “selling because i have to” thing which puts me in this situation in the first place. Sold the Jaguar to buy the Penguin. Sold a telecaster to buy the Jaguar and so on and so on.
    Ive also learned something about strategy. I CAN potentially replace the Nashville but i will never be able to replace Pamela and that would be a regret i would carry always. I’ve never named a guitar before (although i have named one of my sons after a guitar) and thanks @Winterwind for ruining that. I will never look at that butterscotch one without thinking of Pamela.

11. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    Ahaha you're welcome. ;)

mbkri likes this.
  12. hogrider16

hogrider16 Gretschie

Oct 18, 2017
    charles town wv
    Sell the one that will be easiest to replace if you change your mind down the road.

Sid Nitzerglobin, section2 and mbkri like this.
  13. LongJohn

LongJohn Gretschie

Apr 22, 2016
    Queens, NY
    To me the Jag and the Nashville are very similar sounding guitars, Pamela stays.

14. mbkri

mbkri Synchromatic

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Pamela (yuk i cant be doing with naming my guitars) is staying.
    The Black Nashville is on Reverb.
    The Fender Jaguar is wending its way from balmy California toward the frozen wasteland of Chicago as we speak. If it doesnt take an unexpected detour like the one that @TSims1 is currently waiting on, i should have it by Monday.
    Decision made. No regrets yet.... because the black one is sitting in my studio and im just heading there to play it!

15. DennisC

DennisC Gretschie

May 11, 2017
    Hannover - Germany
    Hm...

You could ... build something that makes pickup swaps easier, so you could at least keep part of the tonal capabilities of both - just need frames and connectors and a little time. I think I'm maybe gonna do so instead of buying a second Tele, at least pickguard-mounted pickups are a quick change then...

Otherwise ... what's Pamelas Opinion on this?

16. mbkri

mbkri Synchromatic

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Pamela says “ dont even think of screwing anything in that isnt already there”.

17. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

mbkri, I totally understand angst of your position, and I'm glad you could sort it out. I had a Fender MIM Strat - Arctic White, SSH that I bought used many years ago. It was a great player, but I enjoy exploring different guitars, and so it had not been my first reach in a while. I decided to trade it in as part of the deal for my Taylor and within about 2 weeks I was regretting . . . a lot.

I do have plenty of other guitars, so it's really shouldn't have been that big an issue. I still get an occasional pang of regret, but it's getting less all the time. I think the thing that has helped the most is that I found a red Strat that is truly special in every way.

mbkri likes this.
  18. DennisC

DennisC Gretschie

May 11, 2017
    Hannover - Germany
    Oh. Hoped she'd said "Whoo-whee-ha-ha!" or something.

Well, she says so, then so be it.

Anyway, enjoy the Jaguar!

mbkri likes this.
  19. mbkri

mbkri Synchromatic

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Thats exactly it my friend! Its not really about which one of the two i should sell (the decision) but about how to deal with the regret. We are blessed with the abundance to be able to own more than one instrument, but with that luxury comes the unpleasant phenomenon of self doubt, second guessing, comparison and, dare i say it, unsatiated desire for more. I want this AND that. These are feelings that i dont like in myself.
    I think this thread has helped me to understand myself better. Its going to be ok.

LivingMyDream likes this.
  20. mbkri

mbkri Synchromatic

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Ok. Well things just dont go how you think they will.
    Ive got a buyer coming at 5pm to buy the Black Powerbridge Telecaster. No regrets. Perfectly happy.
    BUT in the process of checking on my messages today to ensure that he is still coming......i found another Powerbridge Telecaster from the same era, in similar condition for a much much cheaper price.
    So i think i might sell the black one, AND replace it AND have money in the bank. No Regrets indeed!..... unless my buyer sees the other guitar being advertised in the next hour

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.