How Often Do YOU Lube?

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Ian4242, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Ian4242

Ian4242 Electromatic

Mar 8, 2019
    USA
    Got a Gretsch 5420t last week. Couldn't keep it in tune to save my life. Talking five tunings everytime I play past 30 minutes. Very small use of the Bigsby.

So I googled it up and found this forum. A combination of stretching my strings and lubing up my nut with some graphite seems to have solved the issue, but my question is,

How often is lubing up your nut neccesary? I generally change strings every 2-3 months will that cut it?

calebaaron666 likes this.
  2. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Welcome!
    I use nut lube every time I put new strings on, and I’ll add more later if needed.

3. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Keep your nuts dry! Never use lube. It attracts dirt and clogs the notches. It shouldn’t be considered anything other than a temporary alleviation of a bad cut nut and or poor setup ie before a gig.
    In a pinch you can use a soft graphite pencil.

4. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Gretschie

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I use powdered graphite as necessary, which isn’t very often. Maybe once a month, and I practice 2-3 hours daily, typically.

5. radd

radd Synchromatic

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Chances are good your nut needs a proper dressing/set up. This is very common on Gretschs and is the primary culprit regarding going out of tune. Two other factors to consider is the need to use a locking string wrap with a bare minimum of wraps, google it. Then of course, the Bigsby responds best to subtle pitch changes rather than dive bombing.

On my 5420, locking string wrap, dressed nut with lube and a high quality roller bridge made my tuning very stable.

Good luck

mrfixitmi and Bertotti like this.
  6. Ian4242

Ian4242 Electromatic

Mar 8, 2019
    USA
    I plan to get it set up next time I'm in Lubbock, which is the closest town to me with a Luthier, but it should be fine til then, yeah?

7. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    It's not going to disintegrate on you no. :)

Maybe it's allready clogged and just needs a good clean? You should be able to do this yourself. If not now would a good time to learn. Nut files are best but in a pinch welder files, or old strings work.

8. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Never. I use TUSQ-XL nuts.

A+!

johnny g likes this.
  9. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I use the lube every time I change the strings

10. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I have never used nut lube, ever. I have however sanded my nuts so the strings have a better angle and smooth them out a little bit using files or sandpaper or old strings with some abrasive powder rubbed in them. Just go slow and watch closely. Youtube has a lot of videos and Stew Mac has some stuff as well as frets.com, on how to do this stuff. Well, worth knowing.

Frank_NH likes this.
  11. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Never. I lock back my strings, use less than one turn around the capstan on the machine head and never have any problems staying in tune. Multiple wraps cause all sorts of problems.

Bertotti and thunder58 like this.
  12. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    As Larry the Cable Guy would say ....... That's some good information right there I tell you

13. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Graphite is a great dry lubricant. Lots of uses, tho it can be a bit messy if too much is used.

14. Ian4242

Ian4242 Electromatic

Mar 8, 2019
    USA
    Do you think getting the nut check by a Luthier (I'm kinda of hesitant to try myself) is worthwhile? Or do you think its unlikely that that's the issue?

calebaaron666 likes this.
  15. radd

radd Synchromatic

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I think it would be a mistake on a Korean Gretsch to not get the nut worked on by a good luthier. You can’t go wrong, it can only help, it can’t hurt and it does not cost much

mrfixitmi likes this.
  16. budglo

budglo Electromatic

Feb 26, 2019
    Ohio
    All my Gibson’s that had tuning problem got fixed by working on the nut. Not one of them were repaired by lubing the nut. It’s usually the nut slots that are suspect. Usually too narrow.

swivel likes this.
  17. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Big Bends Nut Sauce every string change and in between if necess

gruffydd3 and LongJohn like this.
  18. Butch Ammon

Butch Ammon Gretschie

Jan 3, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    Lube? Um... No.

I take a pocket knife and whittle down a #2 pencil. Then I take the teeny tiny pencil lead shavings and sprinkle them all over the nut, ensuring that they get down inside each of the slots. Been doing that for years and years and years with various Strats that I've owned and never had a problem. I started doing it (lightly) to my Gretsch 5122, and combined with a locking string wrap, I don't have any problems with the Bigsby at all.

19. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

That nut sauce is teflon and silicon, slicker than snot, perfect sized applicator tip. I used to fart with pencil lead. Left me with black nuts. No more.

20. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    The jokes I could make out of that comment . . . :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice