How many boards?

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Bertotti, Nov 9, 2018.

1. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Here's mine.....

Bertotti likes this.
  2. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Why is this so difficult? I think I know my direction then change my mind. Sadly it seems there is no perfect layout. First I wanted it all on one board then just shut off what wasn’t used then I go “hey why have extra items in the signal chain I’m not using. Tone sucker or not there is always some capacitive loading and resistance added. Then why not two boards. Heck it seems a couple boards will be a must if only to have an amp top solution and a floor solution when needed. It would be so much easier if there was only one way to put it all together, doggone variety is killin me, nice to have options though.

3. Setzerhotrod

Setzerhotrod Country Gent

Oct 26, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
  4. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I have had minor Kemper urges for awhile but my attachment to my tube amps has easily kept it at bay so far. I do however stop by the listings online now and then and look and pop into YouTube to hear them.

5. Setzerhotrod

Setzerhotrod Country Gent

Oct 26, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    Great for recording AND for when the sound man is a control freak.

6. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I have one pedal board and 2 suitcases full of pedals that I use on occasion.
    I just switch them in and out of the pedal board as needed. I love pedals but still use the sound of the guitar straight into the amp 75% of the time.

Bertotti likes this.
  7. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I think I have settled on something similar. One small board for things like chorus and tremolo ect and another for pres boosts compressor envelopes etc.
    Then I can still pop pedals in or out as desired. But this isn't cast in stone yet. The hardest thing is I can not decide the order I want pedals. I think I need to make some pedal maps or what works for me then approach a board or two with those maps in mind. Maps for acoustic and electric even other instruments like synths and e drums.

8. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    6F7F3F12-233D-4E41-A6E3-0068DB1EB7B1.jpeg Well I thought I was making progress and I imagine I am in a way. I thought I would be able to find a holy grail lay out and be done with it. Sadly that isn’t the case, to many pedals and so many configurations that sound good.

So like my last post there will be two boards which I haven’t even cut out yet. One that can piggy back on the other or be removed and used on the floor and the other that will be amp top or table top capable. Oddly enough I do have a design in mind but keep getting side tracked.

Today these three pedals are side tracking me and I imagine they will do so for many more hours. Probably bring out the MXR analog chorus also. And maybe the Minilogue or Karp. Way to much to get sidetracked with although I haven’t tried the two Nocturne pedals with a synth yet. Not sure about using a line in with them. Is that ok or will I mess up the pedal somehow? I want to try all of my Nocturne pedals with the synths but need to know first if they can take a line in signal. The synths are Kronos, ARP, Minilogue, Minitaur. Thanks if anyone knows! @TV the Wired Turtle

Apologies if I already asked but I didn’t see the answer.

9. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    So I got more sidetracked but made progress. Hopped on an elliptical for 90 minutes and got a bit more focus. So I got everything out and started experimenting. So far the biggest set up I messed with was 9 pedals more often three. So that’s progress. I also really haven’t touched the Barber LTS SR, RC2 looper (never really got into looping at all just as soon record tracks to logic), Zoom G2.1u and RC Booster. I love the RC Booster and found myself using the Barber in a similar vein, clean boost, to push my clean channel into that just past clean break up. But I actually needed to dust them off they have sat so long. Now I need to decided if I should move them on. Even given some thought to moving on the CC and analog chorus but I still grabbed them for fun once in awhile. The Nocturne stuff rules and the Big Sky covers a lot of ground, Jangle Box and Micro Qtron stay for sure also. How do you guys/gals decide if it’s time to move a pedal on? Seriously the Zoom and RC2 are worth 75$ combined to the right person. So is it worth selling. LTDSR isn’t made anymore And as nice as it is I don’t like that enough we’re made to even begin to get much of a following for them so probably not worth much. No idea about the RC.

Do you all keep less used pedals around just for the rare instance you feel like playing with them? Have you set any limits on your selves, for instance, if it sets a year it’s time to sell? Just curious.

10. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Have you thought of a switcher looper like GigRig or Boss ES5/8? Hook all the pedals up, create patches for songs with the pedals and priority you want, or move them around one the fly.

Bertotti likes this.
  11. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    78819CA9-1D39-4792-A504-FE2D87CEFBE0.jpeg
    I have only slightly. I saw a looper and got looked like you could have pedalsbk a. Loop and pick that loop. Is there a product where each pedal is independent and you can set a signal chai or multiples without physically switching pedals in and out?
    This is what I have on the desk today. Fun but terribly confusing to organize. I really need to take some notes on the setup I like and dislike. For instance the Barber hates doesn’t respond the way I like with the RC in ront of it.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Henry likes this.
  12. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Yea that's what the higher end switcher loops allow. You can take pedals completely out, or change the pedal order. You can also save each set of pedals, orders to a patch. There is usually a way to then start with a patch and mod from there and, of course, save that as new patch. If you have midi or other control inputs on your pedals (like a favorite switch), you can also have each patch jump to a setting. There are lots or other features, global BPM, controlling your amp, variable pedals, etc.

It does a lot and, quite frankly, it has me a bit intimidated. I'm working with (or trying at least) a Boss ES-5. My main justification is that it is the same size as my amp pedal controller (cuz Mesa), and can perform all those functions (though I only use 2 of the 4 amp pedal buttons), but add a few more functions like access presets or banks on my 2 midi pedals (story on mobius and chase tonal recall).

I count 15 pedals. You can chain the boss ones, but that's a lot of money. There are probably more pro products that can handle that many pedals.

13. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    The acquisition of more pedals with even more on the way has put PB #7 under construction. Just waiting for deals on a Zuma power supply and another Pedaltrain board.

14. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I think I will leave something like that as a car rat at the end of the stick and only think about it after I meet some learning goals, to be determined, and I looked at some of the prices. I have other things to think about before that.

There may be 15 pedals in the pic but I never ever use them all at the same time and there are four I am considering moving one and a couple more I haven’t Been using much but expect that to go up now.

I think for now it will come down tonto boards. One for the Zume, 9 supplies, and one for the Ojai, 5 supplies. Perhaps for now the rest will go in a drawer and come out when I want.

audept likes this.
  15. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    But I think I have seen you sell a pedal before. How do you decide when to sell one?

16. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I sell a pedal when I buy a new one that I think can directly replace or improve on an existing one. Quite often I buy multiple pedals with the same function, try them all out, then keep the winner and sell the losers.

Bertotti likes this.
  17. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    4F9665E4-9E2D-4785-BC27-ACBE0207E482.jpeg 042A53DA-E452-4C32-8C58-CC9FF3DF4B1F.jpeg Well almost all day playing around this is where I am settled until I get to mess around some more. Any thoughts welcome. I currently do not have anything running through the MB insert but haven’t ruled it out. I still plan on trying to build this into a board I can break down into two individual boards, 5 and 9 pedals.

This is a long chain and I might need a buffer or to turn on the buffer in the Big Sky.
    Chain is
    Micro QTron
    MB
    RC Booster
    JR Barnyard
    LTD SR
    Ubangi
    Seltzerado
    Fuzz Ray
    Nail Head
    CC
    Analog Chorus
    Big Sky
    Jangle Box then the RC2 at the end of I decide to use it.

I have not been inclined to use the any of these at the same time, Jr Barnyard, LTD SR, Ubangi, Seltzerado,
    Or Fuzz Ray.

The Micro QTron hates any type of compressor in front of it so it may wind up later on the chain or not in it at all because it is only used when the mood hits. The Jangle Box is at the end because I haven’t gotten a feel for how much it will destroy the way a few of the pedals react to picking dynamics. Big Sky is just in front of the Jangle Box because O do want to usenitnin stereo sometimes and once I know how the Jangle Box works in front of it I may move it to the end. Not all my amps have an fx loop so that Is part of the reason for Wanting to be able to have one big board that can break down into two smaller boards.

This may all change once I get some more cable ends. And I am seeing the allure of a good loop set up. I’m dieting to get this nailed down a bit so I can get a board built and posted in show us you pedal board thread but I am not as set on having one set up and rather making it more fluid and swapping things in and out and changing the order of the pedals on a whim.

Again any thoughts or advice welcomed!
    And Obgot the big knob installed on the MB, nice!