Join Gretsch-Talk Today

How long did you practice today and your routine.

Discussion in 'Streamliner Gretsch Forum' started by wvincagold, Jan 19, 2018.

1. wvincagold

wvincagold Gretschie

Jan 4, 2018
    US
    Heck Im not even in the same galaxy.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

radd likes this.
  2. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Tnx! No idea if I tore anything. It was a pretty recent discovery by a physiotherapist I consulted.

I had intense muscle cramps for over 2 months, thinking it was a side effect of my bloodthinner and anti cholesterol meds. My house Doc said this was normal and said to stick with it...

wvincagold likes this.
  3. nickurso

nickurso Friend of Fred

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I practiced about 10 minutes today but I’ll play a little more later. I wish I had more time for it

wvincagold likes this.
  4. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Woa, this thing of mine is nothing. YOU get better!

5. JimB1122

JimB1122 Gretschie

Dec 15, 2016
    Silver Bay, Minnesota
    Frozen shoulder. Not fun. I've had it twice in the last two years. Constant pain for about 2 months at a crack. Playing guitar doesn't make it worse, thank goodness.

6. MrClint

MrClint Electromatic

Nov 27, 2017
    Lake Balboa, CA
    So much to learn and so little time.

Sucks having ailments or limited time that prevents folks from practicing and playing. If I'm crushed for time I pick up my acoustic and bang away for what ever time I have. I can get sound out of my streamliner as well unplugged.

I urge folks to jump on over to https://www.justinguitar.com/ and start on the beginner course. Watch the videos and support him by donation and/or by purchasing his training materials. He lays out great study/practice schedules depending on where you are in the process. He's an excellent teacher and you'll move ahead quickly and develop good habits. Go at your own pace and stick with it.

A couple of keys to practice for me is to do musical things as much as possible, and really SLOW things down at first. Slow would be one down strum per beat on a chord, 60 BPM on scales with a backing track/loop/metronome. DO things right before moving on and then add speed or complexity.

My groove right now is with rhythm playing, so I'm mucking around a bit with triads and alternate chord voicing. I'm grooving on "Jane Says" at the moment, which is a simple G to A chord progression. I lay down the framework in a looper with power chords and then use alternate chord voicing and start linking lead parts or arpeggios with those triads and various scales, while trying to find the melody. Great fun and completely adventurous, musical exploration. Learning to build layers, muck around with tone, learn the fret board, and record with a simple two chord progression! Time flies when you're having fun with a cool looking and sounding Gretsch Streamliner. :)

I'll be picking up Justin's intermediate course soon. Enjoy!

7. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Went to a motorcycle swap meet, drank hella beer, no practice. Played for about a hour.

8. mbkri

mbkri Synchromatic

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    I tinkered with the truss rod on one of my guitars and ran a few scales and chords testing for fret buzz. Got frustrated. Bid on a guitar that i dont need on eBay. Got declined. Spent more time looking at guitars than playing. Could have done so much more with my day.

Emmett likes this.
  9. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    The frozen shoulder has affected the use of my entire arm, including lower arm, wrist and hand. Particularly suffering with extreme bends and twists(of the arm). I tried to play around the 7 th fret which is the least uncomfortable position, but my fingers are powerless, the glorious slow and wide vibrato is gone, and I can't even make a single note sound good, and without that I might as well give up.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  10. russmack

russmack Country Gent

May 1, 2017
    ballina australia
    Nah Rich. You can't ever give up. All you'll get is regret that you stopped practicing.

And that makes it so much harder to get back into the groove.

Yep - we all get physical hassles. But there's always been a way to get around them.

Osteoarthritis for me. But so far I've managed.

Wishing you well.

Russ

Sorry. It sounds a bit patronizing. Didn't mean it though.

Russ

Emmett and Ricochet like this.
  11. russmack

russmack Country Gent

May 1, 2017
    ballina australia
    If I didn't get any more than three hours a day into practice I'd be very unhappy.

About 2-1/2 hours a day on technical stuff is definitely required for me. I think I'm getting somewhere, but I don't know where.

At some stage we all have to understand where the tech. stuff stops and the enjoyment starts. If I can achieve 1-1/2 hours on polishing, revising and just enjoying the instrument I'm generally pretty happy.

Four hours (at least) would be my target.

So far it's been difficult to maintain a four hour routine.

Gotta get up earlier. And stop fooling around. You know, eating, cleaning up, business, that sortta non-essential stuff.

Russ

wvincagold likes this.
  12. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    When I worked on the scales, voicings and arpeggios in the Smith book, it was hard work, but the triads really helped to knit it all together. Once I learned those, I started to find it easy to apply what I had learned to the songs I enjoyed playing. After that, it was a lot easier.

russmack and Ylikessu like this.
  13. wvincagold

wvincagold Gretschie

Jan 4, 2018
    US
    Just wondering maybe slide guitar? But that requires linearly moving back and forth. How about a lap guitar? I know my time down really impacted me and my development. Chords tend to stay but for whatever reason C is screwing with me as of late. but picking strumming and my rythem all but disappeared. So coming from that place I can say its allot harder later on to come back. I hope that they are able to operate on it soon.

Ricochet likes this.
  14. Eliminator Man

Eliminator Man Electromatic

Feb 7, 2018
    Plymouth, MN
    I just pick up a guitar and hope I come up with something fun and maybe something new. Sometimes, maybe often, my starting place is something I saw on youtube or somewhere that pushes me to try something as a starting point. My choices are: which guitar, which amp channel, which pedal if any, diatonic or blues as main harmonic approach, major or minor, try some new chord voicings, play with a track from my Boss recorder or just play. I might even mess with a song chord progression but I have never tried to master a complete arrangement. Never played the same song the same way twice: my strength and my weakness.

wvincagold likes this.
  15. Chris MC

Chris MC Gretschie

Oct 27, 2014
    Orange, Aus
    Its a nice idea for a thread and likely to get at least one more practice session out to plan....

So lunchtime, snuck out with my gold top traveler to the park. This has an onboard amp for headphones. I take a lesson once a week on Wednsday so trying to make progress in anticipation.

Did minor penratonics, triplet picking in five positions, then did a blues shuffle pattern with a turnaround, and a bit of boom boom. Bending to pitch, half and whole step.

My piece for my lesson is T bone walker, t bone jumps again. Did the rythem part, trying to play upstrokes on the off beat. Sounds like cats making love at the moment but i persevere and every now and then a chord sounds clear. Then the lead line in the transcription, its a bit of a pastiche of what the brass and guitar played in the original. I try to memorise the line, get the fingering, add the swing and then add speed. Its the fun part really. Grab some lunch and race back to work. I get about twenty minutes playing in these sessions and I find it does help.

Eveining time. Now its the Yamaha Revstar with P-90,s, although on the weekend did this part with my 5420. Sounds quite fair through a Yamaha THR10 for blues I think. Did the moving shuffle rythem with turnarounds. Revised Jigsaw Puzzle blues, rythem and melody, a bit scratchy. Then dug back into T bone jumps again. Finished up about 49 minutes in. I have been doing some accoustic stuff lately, Thats Allright Mumma rythem, finger picking Your cheatin heart etc, using my Jim Dandy, but last nigh5 I was tired. Tonight for sure.

wvincagold likes this.
  16. wvincagold

wvincagold Gretschie

Jan 4, 2018
    US
    From what i have read 20 minutes is about a humans prime learning. Anything more we tend not to learn.

17. pmac11

pmac11 Synchromatic

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    3 minute speed drill against the metronome to get warmed up. Then about thirty minutes with which ever of the books I pull off the shelf to learn from. New chord voicings, new phrasings, new variations on a ii-V-i, new country licks, whatever. Jazz, blues, country, rock, it's all OK with me. Currently working my way through this. No practice today though, she's in the shop getting a set-up. Clearly I need a second guitar.

511K621wQHL__SX260_.jpg

18. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    Clearly.

pmac11 likes this.
  19. BigDaddyNC

BigDaddyNC Electromatic

Mar 9, 2018
    Wake Forest, NC
    I'm now working my way through this:

jazz-blues-guitar-ebook.jpg

I have not had the benefit of lessons, but I have had the privilege of working with some gifted musicians over the years who have been generous with their knowledge.

I've really been feeling the need to up my guitar-playing game, so this seems like a good start. After playing primarily rock and folk with a smattering of blues, this appears to be filling in the education gaps nicely.

When I sit down with this, I try to do it for at least an hour. My goal is to do it at least three times a week.

johnny g, pmac11 and wvincagold like this.
  20. wvincagold

wvincagold Gretschie

Jan 4, 2018
    US
    They are like lays potato chips. You cant just have one.

pmac11 likes this.