Join Gretsch-Talk Today

How long did you practice today and your routine.

Discussion in 'Streamliner Gretsch Forum' started by wvincagold, Jan 19, 2018.

1. wvincagold

wvincagold Gretschie

Jan 4, 2018
    US
    I did two hours today, didnt know it but then my left hand started to cramp up. Damn diabetes. Most days I do around one hour a day.
    I start doing a picking excercise 1-6 times per string while i do the pentatonic scale all the way top to bottom.
    Then I do chord progression memorization
    First major
    Then minor
    The sevenths
    I try to add a chord a month or so until I can do it by instinct.
    Then I do bahre chords transitioning

After that I try a new rift or a song i am trying to learn. Which is fun but lets face it I am practicing rythym or lead, but its more free for all, less planned and tedious.

So that's my workout I do every day. Of course I do miss some days but I make a concerted effort to never have more than a one day break in a week.

So whats your Streamliner go through in a daily routine?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2. johnny g

johnny g Gretschie

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    I have a couple dozen song books, about 2 to 3 hundred songs I like. I thumb thru the different books and play songs that I like that day. Using different guitars, electric or acoustic, capo placement, tone and volume and amp settings till I find the sound I am after. I work up the song to my style and go to my little home studio and record it.

NO SET TIME FOR THIS:

One day a week I use to write and score my songs. I do vocal exercises every day. What gigs I play, I ask for requests and if it is a new song I practice it at home and go back to the gig and play it.

Then I go to Gretsch Talk and see what others are doing.

wvincagold likes this.
  3. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

As a pastor, my schedule is too fluid for me to have set times to practice, so I practice whenever I get the chance, and that generally ends up being 2-3 times per week. Other than that, I am picking a song, or songs, that I will play/sing in church. Sometimes, I pick a song that will stretch my abilities, and I will use that song to work on technique.

wvincagold, Reedlvr and johnny g like this.
  4. radd

radd Gretschie

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    As much as I play and practice daily I should be the next SRV....But, allas, tiz not the case.

Lately, most mornings I play for 2-3 hours and I try to:

Stick with the same two new songs I’m currently learning. Current goal with every new song is to learn them from into to outro. I currently try to make that one flat picking and one fingerpicking.

Work on the music theory from my guitar teacher that week. A couple months ago I started lessons after not having any for about 35 yrs.

Run through a number of my other songs once, again from intro to outro, played along with a drum rythum track

Run through the main scales I use and practice different triad voicing up and down the neck

At night when I’m tired, I play along with backing tracks, improvising

I should note; this is a fluid endeavor, I don’t hesitate to deviate from that routine.

russmack, wvincagold and johnny g like this.
  5. Two hours looking for stuff on Craigslist, an hour searching and reading here, maybe pop over to the mandolin cafe, see what’s going on, then break for lunch, and start over. If I am lucky I may have glanced at my guitar.

Although I did work on the banjo for about a half hour

cowmoo, mbkri, Ricochet and 2 others like this.
  6. wvincagold

wvincagold Gretschie

Jan 4, 2018
    US
    Lmao. Ya that was me for the last 7 years.

7. wvincagold

wvincagold Gretschie

Jan 4, 2018
    US
    Ya I tend to have to have a strict schedule its the Marine in me. Plus I take care of my infirm wife and work. If i dont make that time its to easy to sit on the couch and say screwit. I wish i had two to three hours everyday. AND arent we all the next SRV? Just ask me Im a legend in my own mind.

russmack and radd like this.
  8. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Didn’t practice at all today. But I DID have a recording session and then sat near my hot wife on the couch and played for fun through the greatest hits catalogue off many artists tonight on Spotify. Jammed some Prince, Roy Hamilton, Alison Krauss, Adam Wright, Kenny Loggins, and Sam and Dave.

radd and wvincagold like this.
  9. 5420LH

5420LH Gretschie

Dec 7, 2017
    USA
    Practice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wvincagold likes this.
  10. slimwilson

slimwilson Synchromatic

Dec 22, 2015
    Arlington, Tx
    I didn't practice today, really. I messed around playing through a Fender Blues Deluxe for a few minutes by playing the solo of "That's Alright Mama", and then some random comping.

wvincagold likes this.
  11. radd

radd Gretschie

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I can relate, I play with my wife when ever she will let me:D

Recording session, What’s that? Your in a whole different league than me.:(

wvincagold likes this.
  12. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I've got an hour lesson once a week and try to play at least an hour a day w/ a couple of 2+ hour days a week. More often than not I play w/ the bass player + whoever's available for 3-3.5 hours on Sundays.

Probably 2-3 of those daily play session will be mostly practicing songs (new ones first for as long as it feels productive then as many old ones as I can manage) , the rest are a bit less structured mixes of noodling, working on songlets, and nob twiddling.

13. LA Miles

LA Miles Country Gent

Dec 6, 2012
    PA
    Atta boy Louis - hangin out on the Futon

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    TSims1 and wvincagold like this.
  14. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Once a week at most right now as I try to let my damaged nerves heal from neck surgery. I can't wait to get back to every day practicing.

wvincagold likes this.
  15. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Just some Prince type funk riffing for half an an hour today.

I was recently diagnosed with a Frozen shoulder on the left side and it’s killing me. Can’t lift my arm, and God forbid I make any sudden “instinctive” movements like swatting a fly or scratching my butt. That just results in a jolt of excruciating pain through the entire arm enough to almost make me wanna puke.

Anyhoo, I have to avoid the first five positions or my guitar will burst out with hysterical laughter. Not that much different from the usual I guess. :)

wvincagold likes this.
  16. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Don't forget to pet the dog..lol!!!

wvincagold likes this.
  17. Synchro

Synchro As spoken about at Wildwood Guitars. :) Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    I’m sorta like Miles Davis, I don’t practice, but I play frequently.

Sid Nitzerglobin and wvincagold like this.
  18. wvincagold

wvincagold Gretschie

Jan 4, 2018
    US
    I can relate. 3 years ago I had a fistula (void in the body) go to the dark side, literally. It turned an 8 inch area on my stomach necrotic Gangrene which is black by the way. Wound up taking a foot or more of intestines and alot of material. I had a 5 inch hole in my stomach that still has not healed. And I have to be really careful that i dont damage the skin or rip it open again. Trust me when I say i get it. My upstairs office held all my guitars and i could not walk up them. So I mean it when I say I hope you get better soon.

19. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    "Woke up, fell out of bed
    Dragged a comb across my head
    Found my way downstairs and drank a cup"........

wvincagold likes this.
  20. wvincagold

wvincagold Gretschie

Jan 4, 2018
    US
    Did you tear the rotator cup? Its a ***** I tore my left one and ya if anything flys at you and you instinctively lift the arm.....lets put it this way I almost blacked out from the pain. So i get it. I hope you get better soon, dont do what i did and wait until its a useless appendage before you get it fixed. Rehab took me 4 months.