How in the heck do you remember.........?

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by sh4rkbyt3, May 13, 2019.

1. optofonik

optofonik Electromatic

Jan 25, 2016
    Somewhere, Wonderful
    I tend to write while I learn or learn as I write until I'm comfortable enough to record. Then I'll do as many takes as needed to get a performance I'm okay with. Then it's time to mix it and do a rudimentary mastering hack job to make it presentable. By the time it's finished I've forgotten how to play most everything I recorded. :oops:

I've listened back to old recordings from the 80s and 90s and had to be reminded that a particular part wasn't recorded by someone else I was working with at the time.

I couldn't play any of this again without relearning it, even if my life depended on it and it's not particularly difficult...

https://open.spotify.com/album/6pQnCOLVpp2SzFVJpCvmqn

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    sh4rkbyt3 likes this.
  2. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I guess I'm blessed. After a lifetime of doing this I have thousabds of songs, word and music, in my head. All my band mates use cheat sheets or I-Pads and they marvel at my ability to pull songs out of thin air. Sometimes if one song gets stuck I think on it for a minute or two and it all comes backin a flood. Just lucky I guess but that's how it was done back in the day and I never saw a reason to change it.

sh4rkbyt3 and optofonik like this.
  3. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I find I never actually know a song until I can play it without a cheat sheet.

sh4rkbyt3 and Flouswa like this.
  4. SaltyDog

SaltyDog Synchromatic

Aug 23, 2008
    chasing the dragon
    I forgot the question.

5. andreww1962

andreww1962 Electromatic

Apr 30, 2019
    Toronto
    Hey man, I've forgotten more songs than I'll ever know. The frustrating part is that some songs, like Mood for a Day by Steve Howe probably took me months to learn properly. Gone now. 2112 by Rush, gone. I've got a file full of backing tracks for songs I used to play regularly and I wouldn't even know where to begin on half of them. That said, simpler stuff will come back to you pretty quickly if you can find the opening chord. I don't think there are many players out there that can play everything they've learned if that makes you feel any better.

MotorCentaur, sh4rkbyt3 and new6659 like this.
  6. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Repetition.

Waxhead and sh4rkbyt3 like this.
  7. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I am terrible at names but here's a tactic that helps a lot. If possible, use the name 3 times in the near future and learn something personal about the person. It's actually quite easy.

"Nice to meet you, PDogga."

"Have you seen any live music recently, PDogga?"

"That's great, I would have loved to see that Strat Cats show, PDogga."

Next time I see you, I am more likely to remember that you're the Stray Cats guy, and that may trigger your name. If not, you will forgive me for forgetting your name because I remembered something personal about you. And you forgot my name too. ;)

sh4rkbyt3 likes this.
  8. toddfan

toddfan Synchromatic

Mar 12, 2012
    Kansas
    I'm glad that Synchro took my $mart Axe comment in the way it was intended. :)

In all seriousness though, way, WAY back in my gigging days our band probably had over 5 hours of covers that we would play. We never used lyric sheets or chord sheet...knew all of them "by heart". We played so often that we rarely even had rehearsals...often, to learn a new tune we would go over it quietly right after we had set up our equipment to get ready for the gig, and then give it a try that night....seriously! But, to be fair, we were playing the early '70's to late '70's "hits" so many of the songs were pretty easy to pick up....and we'd heard them so often on the radio that we pretty much already "knew" them.

I do remember a couple times when I drew a "blank" when getting ready to start the next tune...I'd look over at our lead player and ask him what the "first chord" was, and that would snap my memory back into operation!

I really should take the time to learn that circle of fifths stuff, but I don't seem to have the patience. :oops:

ruger9 and sh4rkbyt3 like this.
  9. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Some people have a talent for it.
    I've seen some musos who remember 100s songs.

Also depends on how much you practice them and how easy they are.

I only enjoy learning difficult complicated songs these days and can remember most of the chord progressions and riffs only for a few weeks after I stop playing them.
    They come fast and then leave my brain fast :)
    With solos I can play just about anything on the spot once I have the song key

sh4rkbyt3 likes this.
  10. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    This issue really is a pet peeve with me, so I have to say something, LOL.

I HATE when people use music stands or ipads or phones to read lyrics while performing. If you don't know the song well enough to perform it from memory, you don't know it well enough. This isn't a big band orchestra or a symphony orchestra. Learn your damn part LOL.

I was rehearsing with a young'un (at the time I was 48, she was probably 30, amazing singer), who asked me, with eyes widened in disbelief, "do you.....MEMORIZE .... all those lyrics???"

Yes dear, that's how we played music in "the old days" LOL.

Seriously, what's next- cover bands standing there READING CHARTS? The horror!

new6659 and Jelly Roll Horton like this.
  11. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Paris, north down Montmartre hill
    Are you sure it's with a complete band?
    It rather reminds me of I Don't Believe You on the Bootleg Series Vol. 6 - Live 1964 at NY Philharmonic Hall where he's alone on stage, playing accoustic. He starts strumming the verse chords during a long long time before asking "Does anybody knows the first verse of this song?". At least 2 persons answer. Others laugh or applaude. And he actually starts the song. All other lyrics then come smoothly.

12. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    How in the heck do you remember.........?

I work, review and memorize all tunes until I know them by ear and by heart... I take notes while working for reviewing (tones, chord details, riffs, effects to use ...), and I never miss any reharsal.

Being a non-reader (or nearly), I have no other choice. It's sometimes tough to manage, I must confess...

As you can see on the picture below, I have nothing under my eyes when on stage (I'm on the left, alone, because our keyboardist mate couldn't be there :().

[​IMG]

A+!

13. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Synchromatic

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Yes, that’s probably it. I only saw/heard it once, long ago. The memory weakens.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice