How do you treat your ebony fretboard?

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by Jeremyjames, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Gregor

Gregor Gretschie

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Not to hijack the OP's thread but could you give us a bit of detail on this eg. What benefit, how often, with what, etc. Thanks.

Jeremyjames likes this.
  2. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    You’re the first I’ve heard with that problem using it. I’ve used F One in two different ebony boards and one rosewood with no sticky residue. Were they really sweaty nasty before? Maybe you needed another cleaning or received a bad bottle somehow.

Jeremyjames and TubeLife like this.
  3. TubeLife

TubeLife Gretschie

Jan 23, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Just used F-One on my Hot Rods Ebony board and there’s nothing sticky about it. I apply it (little goes a long way) to a towel and work it into the board and then buff it out so to speak. That way there’s no left over residue and your left with just a clean and conditioned board. YMMV

Jeremyjames, Merc and G5422T like this.
  4. RG7X

RG7X Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    I've only known of a couple others with the same issue but most people seem to have no issues... as mentioned YMMV.

Jeremyjames likes this.
  5. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Tacky and dry is like the worst of both worlds. Dont get all in one shampoo and conditioner. Which is to say, you dont the same substance to clean and to moisturize. Clean with warm water, preferably distilled. Food grade mineral oil for me.

If it is still troublesome try to see if the wood itself has been abraded or roughened.

Robbie likes this.
  6. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Make sure the fretboard is absolutely clean before you slather on any liquid and redistribute the old gunk...

As mentioned old Credit card for scraping large chunks and than a coarse cloth to wipe the last spots clean.

Larrivee says not to use anything on their ebony fretboards. Finger grease should be enough.

Jeremyjames likes this.
  7. Jeremyjames

Jeremyjames Electromatic

Jan 21, 2020
    Hong Kong
    The guitar has been sitting in a case for 10 years, hasn't really been played. It was actually fine before I started meddling with it. Now I'll just try a little F-ONe to get it back to normal and will then leave well alone.
    Thanks

Henry likes this.
  8. Jeremyjames

Jeremyjames Electromatic

Jan 21, 2020
    Hong Kong
    Update: after about three days playing the falcon for maybe an hour a day, the fretboard is back to its smooth, buttery best. Still waiting for the F-One oil to be delivered but might not rush to apply it!

Jena likes this.
  9. Tons of new info for me here, so enjoying this thread. (re-firing up my photo-posting software again too)

[​IMG]

Dunlop the common favorite as far as I know - it is for fretboard woods and is NOT the same as "furniture" lemon oil of course. Chemically different from the other great advice . . . I dunno.
    But also, maybe the conditioner, with some chemical reaction, caused the gummy unsatisfactory result (?)

fwiw, that is an ebony block below that I'm carving out an ebony bone nut as an experiment, so I am interested if ebony gets different treatment by some experts - very hard, tough to cut and bettin' it is great on the fretboard.

[​IMG]

P.S. .. .
    I'll imagine, if some of ya' maybe jokingly despise one's use of "axe" . . .
    then -lol- they must really cringe when I'll use some other terms jus' for variety -

. . . six-string "twanger"
    might cause something like a John Belushi coming' into the room and yellin' . . .
    "food fight"!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  10. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

Yup, clean the fret board prior to applying any treatment. Naphtha is great for cleaning the board.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    Jena likes this.
  11. O Riley

O Riley Gretschie

No hope. Your precious beauty's are doomed to a horrific demise. In short, your frelled.
    Send them to me as soon as possible, and I'll assure you I can contain the future spread
    of any and all contaminates. Trust me..I played an extra on.. "Bost0n Legal". Two pop's.

.........................................................................................................Damn, I love this place.
    ...............................................................................................................…............….Outlaw!

12. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I’m not ready to change my TI strings but just how will a fret board conditioner affect the strings if some on the strings? I’m wanting to use a qtip to apply some to my board with the strings on then wipe it off.

13. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Spray WD-40 on a cloth slide it under the strings and wipe the strings down with it. Thomastik flats cost $22 a set but will last a year EASY if you follow this simple step.

gtttrrr and Bertotti like this.
  14. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Electromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    It's really dry here in Albq.
    I'd planned to pick up some generic lemon oil somewhere but a tech reminded me that lemon oil is acidic. I can't verify that long-term use would hurt anything but even the good stuff is cheap enough that it's probably worth the expense.
    He recommended the F-ONE, I got it for $8.99 at GC.

G5422T likes this.
  15. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    How do you like the F-One?

For myself, I've been extremely pleased with it.

16. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Electromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Just got home with it, will let you know later this evening.

G5422T likes this.
  17. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Electromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    I can imagine that the acidic lemon oil might help clean a dirty fretboard.
    Mine are new and needing their first moisture.

18. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

I'm going to suggest that being an "oil" lemon oil is probably not very acidic.

19. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Just an FYI. A little goes a long way. Don't drown it while applying.

20. coryb

coryb Electromatic

Jul 15, 2017
    Virginia
    Yes, true lemon oil would be acidic. However the stuff sold for use on guitars is normally mineral oil with a drop or two of lemon scent. Nothing acidic about it.

L Robbins likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice