Join Gretsch-Talk Today

How do you play your Vox?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by gtttrrr, Apr 8, 2018.

1. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Synchromatic

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    i keep alternating between the normal channel with more pedal dirt, and the top boost with less dirt from pedals. I already ABY to another amp, so the footwork required to switch the 2 Vox channels with ABY also is really not desireable. Curious how the group attacks their Vox settings.

2. jjadams

jjadams Electromatic

Mar 26, 2018
    Los Angeles
    D94CE8DA-16EE-4913-9DCE-99BB36D162A3.jpeg I set both my AC10s for most gigs like this and use a Truetone Route 66 pedal for added dirt...

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    gtttrrr likes this.
  3. Dreamtime

Dreamtime Gretschie

Dec 14, 2017
    New York
    You can not link your channels?

I have the AC30 CC2 and I just play all my guitars with both the Top Boost and Normal channels linked. I feel the Normal channel adds some beef to the tone.

The rest of the settings are pictured below. The Master Volume is set for whatever my ears desire (and can handle) that day; all other knobs I never touch. I found my sweet spot (it took me forever) and I ain't messing with those knobs again.

[​IMG]

gtttrrr likes this.
  4. Dreamtime

Dreamtime Gretschie

Dec 14, 2017
    New York
    My AC4 is this way:

[​IMG]

I usually hook up a pedal with my AC4 because it needs help. That thing is so small and the sound is small and toy-like, too. Even with my big Gretsch, the tiny AC4 is toy-like. I never really took to that amp. Looks great, but that's about it.

[​IMG]

5. NervousJohn

NervousJohn Electromatic

May 8, 2017
    U.K.
    Set to “stun”. :)

No top boost on mine so either brilliant or normal channel (as the trem doesn’t work) with volume set loud enough to hear, and tone cut so it doesn’t hurt.

6. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
  7. pmac11

pmac11 Gretschie

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    I play my VOX thru headphones.... but some day....[​IMG]

gtttrrr likes this.
  8. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Synchromatic

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    How many jump channels together?

9. Srellim1

Srellim1 Gretschie

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
  10. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Synchromatic

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    hcsterg likes this.
  11. Staggerlee

Staggerlee Country Gent

Jul 19, 2012
    Twin Cities
    Is your gain pot broken? Why isn't it turned all the way to the right?

larryb likes this.
  12. rockinforJesus

rockinforJesus Synchromatic

Nov 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
    I have an AC15C1.
    I use it mainly for low to medium gain. My base line is set to the edge of breakup. I add gain with 1. pick attack, 2. EHX Crayon pedal for low gain, then 3. an OCD for medium gain. Actually, I use quite a few pedals to shape my sound, but this is more about utilizing the amp for everything it has to offer.
    The C1 has 2 “channels” that I use. Normal, Top Boost, and a blend of both acheived with an ABY pedal. The blend of both acheives a real nice boost function. Also, I have the VOX VFS2A pedal to turn on/off the tremolo and reverb as desired.
    Such a great amp, and became even greater when the Greenback speaker broke in and tubes were updated with JJ’s.

gtttrrr likes this.
  13. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Thanks ! Yes, my pal "Dood" is a 59-year old guitar bandit with still an amazing facility...

A+!