How do you pedal? Front & Back or just Front?

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Charlie westside, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    The few pedals I have are upfront. I did learn about using two power sources on here if I ever try a loop. Great thread.

2. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    If you're feeling even more adventurous, try throwing some dirt in the loop some time. First time I tried this was w/ my Vintage Rat and HT20 and wow!o_O I don't think I'd build my whole sound around it but the result is definitely something to behold...

Charlie westside likes this.
  3. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Synchromatic

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    i need to explore that as an option

4. Charlie westside

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Did you put in in the front of the chain in the loop?

5. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    It seemed like it had the most practical effect as a huge gnarly dirt tone w/ no time/mod for me, but it's fun to play around w/ the order for sure. For maximum Kevin Shields effect, put the dirt after a big verb ;)

I've done EQs in the loop quite a bit on a few amps w/ not the most precise/useful tone stacks too, it (like most stuff I guess) seems a lot more powerful the later you put it in the path.

Waxhead and Charlie westside like this.
  6. Charlie westside

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Will give it a go.

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  7. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I prefer wahs, fuzz, OD and distortion before the pre amp up front but everyone's different and good to experiment if only to see what difference it makes :)

8. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I'm too lazy to plug in 2 extra cords, so no loop for me. Did it for a while. Too much bother.

9. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Yup, me too most of the time, but like you said it's fun to experiment and come up w/ novel sounds too :)

Waxhead likes this.
  10. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

My 2 main amps are the Vox AC10, and the Fender DRRI, so any pedals using these amps are front loaded. Of course, I can eliminate reverb pedals with these amps, because the onboard reverb is useable, and the Fender amp also has tremolo. Both amps can also give me a nice crunchy tone without pedals, too. So, I guess what I'm saying is that I really only use a few pedals with those amps, and they go in front. I do have an old Tube Works head and 2x12 that I like to fool around with, and it has an effects loop. It's probably the amp, and it really doesn't impress me with any added "wow" in the sound to use the effects loop for the time/modulation pedals, so unless I'm really trying different things, I probably run most pedal into the front of that amp. too. It's just simpler, and I get to playing faster.

Waxhead and Charlie westside like this.
  11. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Country Gent

Jan 22, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    Pedals plugged in to 'MIDI IN' :)

...FWIW, thr 'fx' are in a parallel loop.

12. dankas11

dankas11 Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    Croatia
  13. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yeah and that's the case with most of the members here.
    Most of you are clean tone players who might only use some reverb and tremolo or chorus.
    Your needs are minimal and you keep it simple - all good :)

Unfortunately, I have very variable tastes in music making my needs much more complex and costly :)
    With my affliction I need multi channel tube amps with loops, various wattage options, a wide gain range and EQ controls. I need clean thru high gain to play the music I love.
    I also need pedals for delay, wah, fuzz.

It all makes the set up more complicated and costly for this extra gear.
    Sometimes I think I'd prefer to have your relatively simple and cheap set up but then......
    I'd get bored with it :)

It's the price I pay for loving and playing everything from jazz thru blues, rock, funk, rockabilly, metal and punk :)

14. DennisC

DennisC Gretschie

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    That ... and

Shift - Rear Brake - Start Engine

Seriously: Everything in the front. I even forgot my amp has a send/return-section - only ever see its front side. Every pedal I use is placed before the looper, so the amp always is clean and dry - and I can record anything in the looper and it sounds identical when I play it while the stuff I play additional to the stuff recorded can use or not use any effect.

Charlie westside and wabash slim like this.
  15. Charlie westside

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    ? What? really?

16. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Actually a majority of players use pedalboards or rather have several pedal boards in front of amps serve as a platform FOR pedals. For many yrs I used Mesa boogie amps but even then the only thing the loop was ever used for was an EQ and Compressor(as a limiter) to flatten that horrible mesa mids bump. :) I want to form my sound before it hits the preamp of the amplifier.
    I also dont see the majority of players here on this forum as clean players. Thats why this forum is more fun because its not all chet pickers and rockability, I got enough of that in my own life. Come to think of it, I'm low on a tin of pomade. Got to get some Uppercut ordered. Stuff comes all the way from Oz, might be made of vegemite. Oi!

ps. parallel effects loops need to be on more amps, mind you.

17. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yes well Tavo - it depends on what we mean by the terms "simple set up" and "clean tone players".
    My def'n is probably different to yours.

I agree most members probably have pedal boards up front using amps as a platform.
    Having a few pedals up front and not using a loop is a very simple set up for me.
    And if you don't have any in amp, or pedal, distortion you're primarily a clean player in my def'n.

I much prefer a good series loop on amps.
    It's a deal breaker for me if an amp does not have one.

But everyone has different opinions - all good :)

Charlie westside likes this.
  18. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I have about 30 overdrive, distortion and fuzz pedals. :) Just dont employ them all the time. I use three on stage at present and no I dont play rockabilly for a living. I have to play pop and alt rock normally. This week though is 6 string banjo!! It would be awesome to click on my Barber Burn Unit and make the banjo explode in self jiggulation and screaming feedback. ps. If a player does not have at least one overdrive, I cant trust them and most likely they use a headstock tuner.

new6659, Waxhead and Charlie westside like this.
  19. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I tried using the fx loop for my delay and reverb pedals with my old amp for a while. Too many chords, and I didn’t find that it made enough of a discernable difference to bother with that mess.
    Now I have a great amp with no loop. Got all my magic tools in front. Sounds great.

20. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Country Gent

Jan 22, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    LOL... yeah, really.
    Sorry, I'm being a little mischievous.
    I haven't used stompboxes in, maybe, 30 years.
    FWIW, back in the early days, I used a Ross chorus and an Arion delay in front of a Laney tranny amp - '83-'89ish. Always got my 'dirt' from my amp - never heard a pedal that bettered the amp...
    Anyway, got older, got a job, got... money to spend. Got fed up of chasing pedals round and tapdancing around the time the first Zoom multi-floor unit came out... The trouble with having time and modulation effects in front of overdrive is that they get as compressed as the guitar does and all your echos etc end up having the same volume as the "dry signal". Enter Marshall 8040 w/fx loop and Zoom 2020. No more chasing pedals around, a bit less tap-dancing and my effects don't overpower everything when I crank it. Couple of years went by... more money, unreliable amp, still more tap-dancing than I want.
    Screw it, I'm going rackmounts... and that's where I stayed for the last 25+ years.
    The "pedals" is a MIDI floor controller. The effects, and amp, are rack units. No more tap dancing, one power supply, tidier, quick to setup and pull down at gigs.

Hypothetically, I'd stick 'dynamics and EQs' in front of the amp and 'time and modulations' in the loop, if I were a 'pedals guy'.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice