How Do You Park Your Vehicle?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Jul 10, 2019.

How Do You Park Your Vehicle?

1. Pull-In Forward

15 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. Back-In

19 vote(s)
    47.5%
  3. Pull-Through

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  4. Two Space Parking

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    What's your preference for parking your car/truck?

Pull-In Forward:

Back-In:

Pull-Through:

Maybe not surprisingly there are no videos for this as it seems pretty obvious, but here's a description from AAA:

That’s when a driver locates two empty spaces, and drives through one space before parking in the other. As a result, the vehicle both enters and exits the parking space without ever backing up.

Two Space Parking:

This is when you take up two spaces either by parking over the line or across two spaces. This is only for assholes who deserve to have their cars keyed and their doors dented. Usually practiced by people with big trucks or very expensive vehicles.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  2. ramjac

ramjac Gretschie

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Warning: Foul Mouths

thunder58 and drmilktruck like this.
  3. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    What, no sideways reverse pull-through? :cool:

[​IMG]

4. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    You didn't list the space-saver option:
    car park FAIL 2.jpg car park FAIL.jpg

Dave-B, larryb, section2 and 2 others like this.
  5. Late last summer i got a big ol pickup truck. Never had a truck my whole life. Wasn’t looking for a truck, but there is an abundance of them here in the sticks of virginia. I would say over 50% are pick ups. Anyway, they don’t drive like the little accords or minivans i drove for years. So parking is interesting. Some parking lots are not made for trucks, and you have to be careful getting into a space, they are made for many small cars. So when i park, I park like the old folks i used to make fun of. Takes three or four attempts to get in the spot, and eventually you say screw it, and leave it where it is. Truck didnt cost me much which is why i got it. Even with a pull through, you cant always just pull out and not wipe out the car next to you. Every now and then i get to strive the wife’s Subaru accent, which even though its bigger than most Subaru’s, you can park it in a shoe box with one move. It’s like driving a go cart, or so it feels compared to the truck.

So if you i guys come to virginia and see a silver Ford F-150 4 door, and its not parked straight, takes up three spaces, stop and say hi. No one keys the truck because the previous owner had a few dozen NRA stickers all over it i didnt take off. Funny how things work out

drmilktruck and dak55 like this.
  6. dak55

dak55 Synchromatic

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    Multi level parking is the best. There are always open spots.

dangle_car_10476826_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

Lionpotato, new6659, larryb and 2 others like this.
  7. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Wheels down.

I live on a busy four lane, so I back in as a matter of expedience. In public parking in Indiana, you're not supposed to back in due to our having only a rear plate. I drove a 24' box truck for years, and had to deal with tightly spaced loading docks daily, so backing up using only the side mirrors on a vehicle is normal for me.

I park within the lines, too.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    19MGB76 and drmilktruck like this.
  8. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I used to pull forward into my driveway, but now that summer is here and our street is happily littered with kids riding bikes and playing ball, I've started backing in. Much safer than backing out onto the road when there are little ones about.

9. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    "Just deliver it right to the front door"
    The-World’s-Top-10-Most-Disastrous-Fedex-Truck-Crashes-2.jpg

Daktari9, drmilktruck and section2 like this.
  10. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    As far away from other cars as possible.

11. ramjac

ramjac Gretschie

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I do this. It gets the “dad” label hung on you pretty quickly but I’ll take that over dealing with the must-have-closest-spot-at-any-cost mob any day.

MotorCentaur, stevo, Gregor and 2 others like this.
  12. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    I've been doing that for decades.

I drove to lunch at the mall one workday and my buddy sarcastically asked me if I parked far enough from the door. He should have known better...I pulled out and parked as far away as possible in an overflow lot lol.

13. latetotheparty

latetotheparty Electromatic

Mar 18, 2018
    Omaha
    My daughter failed her drivers test at the last moment by PULLING THROUGH to park after the test. She had missed no points — a perfect passing score. But when she pulled thru to park the car the DMV lady said “uh oh... that’s an automatic fail. Illegal. Sorry kid”

My daughter blamed me for normalizing the pull through a thousand times before.

drmilktruck likes this.
  14. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I used to park in the first spot I saw. My wife will circle around till a spot opens up by the door. Now, due to COPD and arthritis, I'll use the placard and park in the close spots.

I'd rather be able to walk from back in the lot.

drmilktruck likes this.
  15. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I'd be skeptical if it's really illegal though. Sounds like an angry DMV lady.

16. Dave-B

Dave-B Synchromatic

May 23, 2016
    Scotland
    You forgot The Elwood.

JHowdy and drmilktruck like this.
  17. ramjac

ramjac Gretschie

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    My wife does the same thing. But one thing she won’t do is park right next to someone just for the sake of being one spot closer to the door when there are plenty of other spaces. Drivers with lack of swinging door awareness is what drove me to the back of the lot.

18. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    My wife parks like I go to the bathroom ...... just sayin'

19. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    Pull-in forward to the right, no, into the left side ditch! This is an actual photo back from some 15-20 years ago. Yea, I did the parking myself. The company car had just had summer tyres changed on and the next morning we got some fresh snow.
    2005_04 auto ja mänty.jpg

drmilktruck and thunder58 like this.
  20. ramjac

ramjac Gretschie

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Not a comparison that would normally occur to me. But upon reflection, it seems that the same stall selection principles for preventing or at least minimizing unwanted contact with others apply equally to public parking lots and restrooms ... .

thunder58 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice