How do Super HiLo Trons fit with other Gretsch pickups?

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by KelvinS1965, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

Jun 4, 2008
    Ventura, CA
    I’ve never taken one apart, but one of the Gretsch guys at the NAMM Show a few years back told me the SuperHiLo tron was a regular filtertron with one row of pole pieces removed.

BorderRadio and RomanS like this.
  2. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    That's essentially accurate. The pole-free coil is simply a dummy coil for humbucking.

RomanS likes this.
  3. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    I'm not sure o_O : here are a BT FT and a DC SHT side to side :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see, there's a row of polepieces on the DC SHT, not visible on the top side but protruding underneath.

Now, how these polepieces are arranged in the second coil ? I don't know, I never opened one of my SC SHT to check... :rolleyes:

A+!

BorderRadio likes this.
  4. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Electromatic

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    Still haven't got round to recording some 'before' tracks and then doing the swap. I also want to change the strings for a slightly lighter gauge, but in the interests of a fairer comparison I will just slacken the existing strings when I change the pick ups so I can re-use them for the 'after' recording.

I'm getting one of the new Marshall SV20H (aka 'Plexi 20watt) heads on Tuesday, so I'm looking forward to trying my Gretsch through that before I swap the pick ups too.