How do I work this thing?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Jelly Roll Horton, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Synchromatic

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I finally got a Ditto looper (thank you, BorderRadio) to learn better rhythm habits and skills. But here’s the Catch 22: you need good rhythm to activate the looper at the right moment so you can practice your rhythm! And I find the metronome to be as cruel as a nun with a ruler. Somebody please give me a clue on this! Isn’t there some easy way to get itright? :eek::confused:o_O

2. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Yes, it's a learning curve. BTW, certain songs need the start in certain places, not where you might first think! I'm doing it live now with two loopers, but I have kill switches in case I get it wrong. You'll get it. Practice and learn the looping side of each song, just like you would the rest of the song.

3. tdtom

tdtom Gretschie

Oct 26, 2018
    new zealand
    3 P rule applies. Patience, Persistence, Practice. it will come.

4. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

Yep, and I'm still on the upside of the learning curve.

5. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I suggest using something that has time keeping such as garageband, or just getting some backing tracks. I am personally not a fan of loopers to use or listen to, they only sound ok when done by a real pro, and it's still just ok.

6. MotorCentaur

MotorCentaur Gretschie

May 11, 2016
    Seattle
    The only (marginal) success I've had using the looper on my Line6 DL4 was by engaging the switches just slightly ahead of the beat you want to start or end it on...Tap your foot next to the switch, with the down on the 1,2,3,4 and foot comes up on the "and"....1(down) and(up), 2(down) and(up), 3(down) and(up), 4(down) and(up), 1(this is where you engage the switch a little before the beat)...keep tapping the beat and end the loop the same way..

The thing I don't like about loopers is they don't let you trim the "ends" off them to make perfect loops. Only the software based ones like Mobius or DAWs.

I like to use Guitar Pro 7 to learn riffs/songs because it will play loops at any speed but retain correct pitch. Only sequencers will do that. Looping changes pitch with speed.

For simplicity and discipline you can't beat a good metronome. Get one with a swinging arm so you can see when the beat is coming down. Start so slow it's boring, get precise there and work up to speed from there...

7. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Use a metronome for the first steps.
    Do not start or stop the recording when beginning or ending your riff. Play your riff and then start recording while playing. Stop the machine while playing on. Punshing in and out while continuing playing is the key to seamless loops.

8. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    I've yet to mess with the looper on my GT40. I just KNOW I'll piss myself off!

Jelly Roll Horton likes this.
  9. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I don't think it helps w/ the Ditto, but a lot of loopers will let you download/upload via USB. If you've got some DAW software (Reaper's a free one that used to seem decent for Windows/Linux, I guess Garage Band comes w/ OS X?) you can trim/quantize the loop as needed in there, upload to the pedal, and then you just have to stop start it as needed.

10. tdtom

tdtom Gretschie

Oct 26, 2018
    new zealand
    Marty Music did a 10 minute looper lesson this morning on his youtube page. FYI, it's not with a Ditto but with his own unit. may help
    anyway. I don't know the specifics of the two units. Cheers!

by the way, the vid title is Easy Blues Progression.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Waxhead likes this.
  11. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Ditto looper is the best and easiest one to use imo.
    Like tdtom said above - practice practice and the timing will come.
    Loopers are great fun when you get it right :)

12. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Country Gent

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    I really enjoy using my Ditto.
    Honestly, I self count. When I play a tune I'll play the section that I want to loop. The looper is not engaged. So if the count is 1,2,3.4. D, Bm, G, A, D.
    My D 1st chord is the 1. I play through one round once to get the feel and the timing. The second time around I engage the looper on the 1. play the pattern and disengage the looper on the 1 at the beginning of the third pattern. Disengage on the one.
    So 1st time around no looper
    2nd time around engage at the 1st chord on the the 1.
    3rd time only the first chord disengage on the 1.
    Self count or use a metronome.
    The count needs to be consistent.
    Practice 1st. As many times as needed once you have your pattern and your timing is down. Loop away. It's a lot of fun. Excellent way to practice.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    Gregor likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice