How did he do it?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by noelweller, Aug 4, 2008.

1. noelweller

noelweller Banned

Jun 25, 2008
    schaumburg
    Ok I have been Scotty Moores book. Yes he is my Guitar Hero. And I have been looking at his web site that shows the guitars and amps he uses and used. What I cannot figure out is. That from pretty much 54- 56 he used a 15 to 20 watt amp to tour on, Until the crowds go so big he had extra cabs made with boosters that gave him a total of 120 watts.

How is that a 15 to 20 watt amp was good enough to tour with in the 50's and now it seems the more the better. But really I want to know were they just not as loud as we are today? (as a band)

Were the amps built better?

BTW he had a cool custom made amp that had a tape reel built into the amp.

Oh and now he plays Peavey's. Hmm I was always told Peaveys were crap. Was I missinformed? Or did there get better in the last 15 years?

2. brian blaut

brian blaut Gretschie

Jun 6, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I would certainly assume they weren't near as loud as today's standards. And in any of the old Louisiana Hayride recordings I've heard, you can't even make out much of Scotty or Bill, although maybe thats just the quality of the recording.

and Peavey's are not crap at all! (angry peavey owner;)). Maybe the solid state is, but their tube amps, specifically the Classic line (that Scotty uses) are known as workhorse amps for many everyday blue collar professional musicians. They are built like tanks and have a voice sort of between a Fender and a Marshall. The reverb can't match Fenders and they don't quite have the Fender sparkle, but they're more in that camp than say Marshall or Vox. They are the Jack of all trades, master of none amp.

Scotty also uses a boss Digital Delay. It would seem the Grandfather of that sound is much less a snob about gear than many of us that would later idolize him.

3. noelweller

noelweller Banned

Jun 25, 2008
    schaumburg
    I agree he is no snob, kinda funny cause a buch of rockabilly guys say Fender or you suck.. LOL...

I have been looking at the Peavey Delta blues of late, cause it looks like the old tv front amps of the 50's. But Like i said, I was alway told there crap so till now never looked twice at them. So there a good match for Bright guitars like Gretsch's. Warm up that tone?

then what your 2 cents on a Delta Blues. I can get a new one for 499 because it is NOS

4. bobkat

bobkat Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Valparaiso Indiana
    Yuck! I had a Delta Blues for about 1 day and took it back! I am sorry but it sucked! It had no tone at all and was as muddy as hell. I think the classic line is pretty darn good though, and the Valve King 212 is a great sounding albeit ugly amp. If you like different overdrive tones the Valve King is the amp for you. I think the classic 30 is ok, although I like my Blues Deluxe much better. The reverb is kind of cheesey sounding on the Peavey. It is hard to beat Fender for clean and crisp with that deep rich bass tone and that wonderful watery reverb.

5. Bonedaddy

Bonedaddy Banned

Jun 8, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Leads one to believe that the tone really is in the fingers of the player, doesn't it? ;);)

6. roadjunkie

roadjunkie Country Gent

Jul 4, 2008
    Middletown,PA
    Swap out the crap tubes and get a better speaker in it and then you have a good amp. Reverb is passable but not much better then my Fender Princeton Stereo Chorus. The PV's trem just blows!

A good set of el 84s & new preamp tubes first then if you ban find a JBL D130 great but Weber has some decent 15 inch speakers also!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  7. noelweller

noelweller Banned

Jun 25, 2008
    schaumburg
    Ohh that's more work than I want. I want an amp that sounds good from the start. Am still very tempted by the Blues Jr Tweed with Jensons, Love the low watt amps, But then The Vox has such a distinctive sound too... Rockabilly from a Vox?

8. roadjunkie

roadjunkie Country Gent

Jul 4, 2008
    Middletown,PA
    IMOHO stock tubes in the big boy amps are in general low grade and should be replaced asap if you like the amp! You can alway play out the stockers but will see a vast improvement once you swap!

A Vox will cover a lot of ground rockabilly included. Setzer used a Vox Guardsman on several Stray Cats tunes. My amps are in the Vox camp but are a bit off just for the sake of being different!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Except for the 2nd pic all were mine at one time!

9. GreatGretsch

GreatGretsch Country Gent

Jun 25, 2008
    Pittsburgh suburbs
    Hey Noelweller,

I have seen, played with, and have run sound with many respected players that used The Classic 30 and 50 amps. I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that the Delta series was the same as the Classic 30. (It may me worth doing a little research.) I think the Classic 30s are wonderful sounding amps with a very good reputation. Over on TDPRI you can find many raves about them along with some good tips on tubes and speaker choice.

I believe the trend now is for smaller amps. I know that is true for me. I used to use a Marshall DSL 2000 half stack but have gone to using a small 32lb Reverend. The Marshall is great sounding but is just too much amp for most clubs. They just don't sound good until you rev them up. With the great sounding PAs most bands use now, a mic and a small amp works better. You don't overpower the club and everything sounds better at a reasonable volume.

I am not sure what amps Scotty was using, but 20 watts class a can be quite loud.

As far as the difference between the Classic 30 and the Blues Jr, the Classic has a bit more beef.

I think a better comparison would be the Classic 30 / Delta Blues and a Blues Deluxe. The Classic uses the el84 tubes which gives it a bit more upper zing and grind. The Blues Deluxe with the 6l6 tubes is more Fender sounding. For Rockabilly, the Deluxe (to me) would be the way to go. I have owned one and wish I still had it. I think it would sound great with my 5120.

Both amps are very accessable. You should try to play through both to see what YOU like.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  10. wenzel

wenzel Synchromatic

Jun 2, 2008
    New Jersey
    My reverb on my Blues Deluxe sounds great, but it's a little on the quiet side for surf. How can I get it to be more pronounced or louder? Is this possible???

11. noelweller

noelweller Banned

Jun 25, 2008
    schaumburg
  12. Bonedaddy

Bonedaddy Banned

Jun 8, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Setzer used a Vox on the first Stray Cats record, I believe it was a Vox Royal Guardsman.

13. GreatGretsch

Jun 25, 2008
    Pittsburgh suburbs

Thanks Noelweller, I enjoyed that!
    According to Scotty, even with the two booster cabs he wasn't loud enough.

I also like the photo of the Fender Deluxe on the chair. The original amp stand that works for musicians to this day! I wonder if some chairs sound better than others:confused:.....well that is a different thread.:D

14. noelweller

noelweller Banned

Jun 25, 2008
    schaumburg
    Chair tone.. Now that is something everyone shuld know about

15. bobkat

bobkat Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Valparaiso Indiana
    Noel if you buy a Delta, make sure the store owner will let you return it if you don't like it. I found that it sounded pretty good in the store but sucked when I played it with my band. It was amazing how bad it sounded when I got it home. I had just the opposite situation with the Fender. It sounded pretty good at the store and freeking incredible at home!

16. GreatGretsch

Jun 25, 2008
    Pittsburgh suburbs
    I think the metal ones are more lively and probably better for dead sounding rooms. The chairs covered with material would work better in the studio where a flatter tone is required. Now that leaves us with wooden chairs...these are probably a good multipurpose tone enhancer:D

17. bobkat

bobkat Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Valparaiso Indiana
    GG, I like my stand, it is more stable.

Attached Files:

18. GreatGretsch

Jun 25, 2008
    Pittsburgh suburbs
    I wonder if the sound would change if your Blues Deluxe was strapped to that saddle next to it. It may give your tone a more country feel.

19. bobkat

bobkat Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Valparaiso Indiana
    Been there done that! I made that there saddle, by the way, and it has a great Gene Autry sound when you sing from it. When I used to have my horse "Jesse" I used to ride along and sing to him, he was my greatest fan! He never complained or asked for a request. The only problem is the tweed chafes against the rough suede of the seat causing the Deluxe to distort too much.:D:D

20. Bonedaddy

Bonedaddy Banned

Jun 8, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Remember though, it's got to be vintage chair, made in America. Chair tone went right out the window when production was moved outside our borders. And make sure you get one of those lacquer covered chairs; the poly ones don't sound the same....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice