Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Hotrod a proline for $1k- low budget challenge

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by notarex, Dec 6, 2016.

1. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Talking about leopard skin covered things:
    IMG_0830.JPG

wilblee and Bertotti like this.
  2. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Thats it! I'm startin a Hot Rod an Electromatic for over $1000.00 thread now:eek:

3. notarex

notarex Electromatic

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    Mounting these pickups couldn't be more of a PIA. First off the longitudinal bars need some clearance cuts for the huge pole piece guides

[​IMG]

The mounting holes are right at the corners of the filtertrons rout

[​IMG]

Because the dynas are surface mount they need support in back to hold them in place

[​IMG]

The plan is to glue in 1/4" strips of hardwood laterally at the top and bottom of the cavity. This will give me a backer for the pickups, and something to drill into. They will need to be different heights, the filter rout is deeper at the neck, being as both pickups are the same height. The dynas are different heights for neck and bridge, everything should work out if I measured properly.

Bertotti likes this.
  4. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Cool pic Tavo, spoiled only by that SUV in the background!;)

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  5. wademp

wademp Electromatic

Jan 1, 2010
    Elizabethtown, Ky
    Cool thread! Mod away, man!!
    I always thought that my leopard print strap went really well with my old green Annie!!
    I can't wait to see how this turns out!

6. notarex

notarex Electromatic

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    Welp it's been a while- lost access to a CNC machine to cut the proper spacers and went back and forth with Paul Setzer long enough to give up on the dynas. Between moving twice in the past 6 months and a new job that demands most of my time, it's been tough to find time- but here and there I've been able to tackle some things and I think it's mostly done now.

First up was regluing the popped headstock lam. I then sanded and filled the crack and extended the black, wrapping it about 1/8" around the edge of the headstock. I then masked and recleared the top and sides and blended the mask line. It looks good enough for me to not hang my head when I look at it :D. Also, I love sperzels and happy they were included, although shame on the PO for wrecking an otherwise minty instrument :mad:.

Sold the ceramic filters and dynas and picked up TV classic/classic +, it was the right call they sound amazing - hear that Waxy? The new harness I wired up is all switchcraft/CTS with master vol, master tone, 3 way and a blower switch :cool:.

Got the Bigsby B6 mounted, keeping the space control bridge for now (honestly, it hasn't given me any issues and I dig the way it looks). A little leopard print for the pickguard, trussrod cover and fuzzy strap and I'm calling it good :p.

So here's the tally:
    Ratty 6118- $850
    USA Bigsby B6- $90
    TV Jones classic/classic + - $220
    57' reissue dynasonics- $75
    Misc. knobs, pots, switches- $50
    Sold dynasonics and ceramic filters for $300.
    Grand total $985!

Thanks for your patience and for following along :D.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    b80_, wilblee, 6124Bassman and 6 others like this.
  7. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Nice!

notarex likes this.
  8. JLD4133

JLD4133 Country Gent

May 10, 2011
    Mequon, WI
    Notarex, that's a great outcome to your mod project. And, for the naysayers, its mostly, if not all, reversible. Your opinion is the ONE that really counts. It just so happens that imho too, its very cool! Congrats.

notarex likes this.
  9. Davos

Davos Electromatic

Jan 18, 2018
    Alaska
    Just curious what you got for the ceramic filtertrons. I have a set that came with my 5120 that I need to sell.

10. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Nice but I was waiting to see the whole top in leopard! Did you dump the dyna's because of the size and issues mounting them?

11. notarex

notarex Electromatic

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    I think I got $125 but they sold quick, may have been able to get more...

12. notarex

notarex Electromatic

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    No, I glued in wood strips and everything, would have mounted up fine- it was a matter of the oversized trim rings that were needed to cover the holes from the filtertron rings. Not an off the shelf solution available,and I didn't want to do it by hand.

Bertotti likes this.
  13. Davos

Davos Electromatic

Jan 18, 2018
    Alaska
    Where did you sell them? Not sure my local craigslist would have a large enough audience. I’ve thought of putting them on reverb or something. Not sure how best to unload them.

14. notarex

notarex Electromatic

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    Ebay, but they take a bigger cut than reverb. I found things sell faster on ebay

15. speedicut

speedicut Country Gent

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    I like it notarex but I would have ditched the space control bridge for a Compton right off! :)

16. musicman100

musicman100 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2008
    england
    What's with the attitude?
    At 850 dollars it's a great deal n good luck with whatever he wants to do to it.

russmack likes this.
  17. 6124Bassman

6124Bassman Gretschie

May 20, 2018
    Tempe, Arizona
    Turned out very cool! I like the leopard print but I kinda miss the dark green pickguard.

I love the green Annies they’re one of my favorite Gretsch color combos

Outlaw and notarex like this.
  18. notarex

notarex Electromatic

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    But then I'd be over budget;)... wait I still have the G tailpiece, lessee sell that plus $15 left in the budget might get me a used Compton :cool:

speedicut likes this.
  19. wilblee

wilblee Synchromatic

May 23, 2013
    TX Hill Country
    I dig it! That looks like the same material I used on this guitar.

[​IMG]

Leopard print on guitars is uber-cool!

20. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Is that yours? Very cool.