Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Hotrod a proline for $1k- low budget challenge

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by notarex, Dec 6, 2016.

1. slimwilson

slimwilson Synchromatic

Dec 22, 2015
    Mobile, Al
    Sounds like a cool project on a great deal. Interested in watching this progress.

2. fender62custom

fender62custom Gretschified

Mar 3, 2012
    Helidon, Australia
    Subscribed... happy modding!!

3. amp360

amp360 Gretschie

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    I have to agree. I found my old Jet with the ceramic Filtertrons in storage a couple weeks ago. I had always liked it and played it in the 90s-00s. I changed the pots and cap and the pickups sound a lot like a 60s set of Filtertrons that I have.

Like anything else YMMV.

j.s.c likes this.
  4. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    To be fair, he said you came off like a dick when you said he'd 'ruined' it.

5. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yeah imo - basically the same thing in different words :) and......
    very similar to saying "I don't get the automatic dismissal of the ceramic filters in general" but ....
    no worries - I been a dick with an opinion all my life - nobody's perfect hehehe :)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  6. notarex

notarex Electromatic

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    [​IMG]

Leopard print overload for the haters. This may be an example of too much of a good thing.

b80_, Bertotti, Henry and 2 others like this.
  7. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    Yep. He needs to change shirts.

section2 likes this.
  8. notarex

notarex Electromatic

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    I had to take a break from the Star wars themed lefty flying V I'm building my friend, almost ready to wrap it up but I needed to stare at something else for a minute after wiring up the EMGs- so I polished and cleaned one of the dynas to see how it looked (on the right). They were pretty neglected so I can't get them 100%, but I think it will do.

[​IMG]

Anyway- Merry Christmas to you all, and hope you have a great day with your families and get some rest and jam time. Wifey got me a Couch "cat" strap for the tele so I'm pumped.

Ricochet likes this.
  9. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Guaranteed Brian's wearing leopard creepers too!

10. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I really dig ceramic filters, like most pickups you need to adjust them to find the sweet spot. They have a good Gretschy voice to me, i have recordings of my old '90s 6120 and there's no mistaking it for anything else. I was stoked when a set turned up here for my pro jet project.

blc45 likes this.
  11. notarex

notarex Electromatic

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    I promise I'll try tweaking them before I tear this thing apart :D.

12. notarex

notarex Electromatic

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    Well I finished the Star wars V and my friend digs it.

[​IMG]

I've been busy fixing a few other guitars for another friend, but the wife's out of town this weekend, so time to strip this puppy.

[​IMG]

b80_, Bertotti, wademp and 4 others like this.
  13. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Cool, forgot about this one. Lets go;)

14. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    I agree.
    The Jacket lapels, sleeves and appointments and the guitar and strap are spot on but that shirt is just a tad OTT!!!

15. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    Interesting topic! I happen to like the Dynas better than stock Filters, so go on with them!

reverb11 likes this.
  16. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    From setzers recent tour. I told my daughter I would get her one if she keeps to piano through high school.

[​IMG]

b80_, Waxhead and JHowdy like this.
  17. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    On a USD 850 Annie I would not change anything. I would play it forever and never let it go. I would laugh my a*s off and be lucky for the rest of my days, pal.

18. notarex

notarex Electromatic

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    Here's the thing, unplugged I prefer the 6118 to my 5420- it's a quality instrument and the playability is killer. Plugged in, even after messing with the pole pieces the filtertrons just leave me flat. I much prefer the blacktops on my 5420. And the mud switch sucks. And I want a bigsby (after stripping it it has the holes for one-it was meant to be). And I want leopard print godammit :D

reverb11, wademp and loudnlousy like this.
  19. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I love leopard print, both my couches are covered in it.. I live in a hotrod world! I want to leopard print my buicks upholstery
    Hillbilly Deluxe.jpg

b80_ and notarex like this.
  20. blc45

blc45 Country Gent

Aug 23, 2011
    nc
    I am personally not much of fan at serious Gretsch modding I do thoroughly enjoy watching others do it. Go for it.