Hotrod a proline for $1k- low budget challenge

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by notarex, Dec 6, 2016.

1. notarex

notarex Electromatic

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    Based on the response to the "2 electromatics or 1 proline" and "Under $1000 proline" threads I'm going to document my process in building up and hot-rodding a proline for under $1000 bucks. I am a cheap bastard and love to score deals on stuff, and I've been lucky enough to swing a proline and hang on to my 5420- which I love. So this seems like a fun challenge - here we go:

The victim- a pre-fmic 6118 double Annie. Cost: $850

[​IMG]

Came with my favorite, locking sperzel tuners. Also came with a popped and repaired headstock overlay, but I'll deal with that later. Some buggered strap locks unexpectedly, but that's a fairly easy fix.

Add one v-cut B6 bigsby. Cost: $90 (score #1)

[​IMG]

Add a sprinkle of Dynasonics from a 57' duo jet. Cost: $75 (score #2)

[​IMG]

That puts me at $1015, but after the sale of the filters and tailpiece I'll have a bit of play money to dress it up. WARNING: there will be leopard print involved so purists, please avert thine eyes.

I need to finish my current project before I can go all out on this one, but I will update once I make some progress if you guys are interested.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
    b80_, Bertotti, JHowdy and 5 others like this.
  2. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    I can't see your images. :confused:

3. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    75 for some vintage Dynas? Man, some guys have all the luck :D

Looks fun!

4. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    right?

Lizardkinged likes this.
  5. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Anni with leopard print? Sounds awesome.

6. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    $850 for the Anni seems pretty lucky too. You should play the Powerball....

Bertotti, wademp and ZackyDog like this.
  7. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Where is this treasure trove of idio....uhm deals??

JHowdy likes this.
  8. notarex

notarex Electromatic

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    Not vintage, they are reissues- but still a decent deal I think

9. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    hehehe ok continue - this one looks pretty funny :)
    $850 Annie with "popped and repaired headstock overlay, but I'll deal with that later" - ok waiting then ..................

Swapped in Dynasonics for filters - you've already ruined it imo but ..... please go on....
    give us the punch line :)

10. Andy Fortune

Andy Fortune Gretschie

May 24, 2016
    Corning, NY
    Witholding judgment here...I love dynasonics and pre-FMIC filtertrons are meh. He did say he was going to hot-rod it, so I'm curious to see where that goes. I personally am not into hot-rodding a Gretsch, but I enjoy watching someone else do it, especially if the victim is a pre-FMIC and not a recent pro line like my babies.;)

11. notarex

notarex Electromatic

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    The overlay popped when the PO installed the sperzels, its been repaired but doesn't look the best.

[​IMG]

When I strip the hardware off to rewire and clean/polish, I'll decide whether to fill and repaint or add binding. That clear things up for you?

As far as the dynas go, I dig the 50's sound and want to play stuff like early chet, Buddy Holly, Carl P etc. I find the sound of these pre fmic ceramic filters to be stale.

Maybe something's lost in translation from Aussie but you come off as a dick. I hope that's not the case.

lexx likes this.
  12. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yeah I fully understand some people prefer Dynasonics - I'm not one of em is all but.......
    it is inaccurate to call swapping in Dyna's "hotroding" :)

13. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    hahaha - who's a dick - it was obviously just my opinion - that why I wrote "imo":)

And your "popped overlay" looks terrible imo so the guitar is not worth $850 to me but ..........
    I repeat - that's just my opinion so ...........please continue

I'm waiting to see where the hotroding occurs :)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  14. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Maybe 'retro makeover' is more accurate than 'Hot rodding' but it's your instrument and you can do whatever the heck you want with it. I don't get the automatic dismissal of the ceramic filters in general, but that's just me. On the other hand, what will you try and get out of them? :)

blc45 likes this.
  15. Andy Fortune

Andy Fortune Gretschie

May 24, 2016
    Corning, NY
    I dunno...he mentioned leopard print...doesn't that count toward hotrodding;)

Waxhead likes this.
  16. notarex

notarex Electromatic

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    My definition of "hot rodding" includes: Removing unnecessary bits, adding things to increase performance and personalized customization.

I plan on eliminating or repurposing some switches/knobs and adding functionality by having the option of direct to jack wiring and/or series wiring. That, and a leopard print pickguard :D.

Don't want to ruffle any feathers here, just seems like a fun project to share

17. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Yeah, please don't get the impression I'm against anything you do here. Looking forward to however it comes out.

18. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    If an "I'm modding my guitar" tread ruffled feathers, we'd all permanently have our knickers in a twist around here. Please mod away, and keep us in the loop. I, for one, am going to be watching with great interest!

19. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Man, people can't mod their Electro or Streamliner, OR Proline without getting criticized for it. Can't win 'em all of course, and I don't like leopard print anything but I'm not going to discourage a guy for going for it...this isn't vintage, it's newer MIJ and dude paid for it: mod on!

j.s.c, Outlaw, rockape and 5 others like this.
  20. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Maybe yeah - I've been keen to see this mod job done from the start.
    I got no ruffled feathers - even after he called me a "dick" cos I said I prefer filtertrons to Dyna's hehehe :)

blueruins likes this.