Hollowbody?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Bertotti, May 26, 2019.

1. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I still desire a Hollowbody but I am not sure I want to save for a pro-Gretsch as I did with the Penguin. I am curious and keeping in mind I am looking for single coils so if it doesn't have them I will install them I do have two Hilos I was going to put in a Minarick but haven't gotten around to yet. What are the new Streamliners and Electromatics really like? I would prefer a DC and Bigsby otherwise the rest of the specs don't bother me much. What would you do? I know this is quite a broad question but I am truly interested in how you personally would approach this. Do any Streamliners or Elecrromatics come with singles stock?

I lean towards a 5422t but it is still a bit more then I want to spend. Saving or selling something might be in order.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  2. section2

section2 Synchromatic

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    If you're looking for a hollow-body double-cut that isn't a pro line, you're looking for a 5422T. As far as I know, that's the only hollow DC outside the pro line.

The Streamliner series has the 2622 and 2655, but they're both semi-hollow. And I'd recommend an Electromatic over a Streamliner at any rate. I've owned both, and while Streamliners are great guitars for the money, Electromatics are a noticeable step up in quality.

jfassett, Bertotti and drmilktruck like this.
  3. section2

section2 Synchromatic

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    BTW, the Gretsch site is searchable by body style. Here's the full list of current DC hollow bodies:

https://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/build/hollow-body?sort=new&cutaway=double-cutaway

They don't make any DC hollows with stock single coils, but Hilos would be a straight drop-in replacement in a 5422T. That's the route I'd go. I tried out a 5422T last summer and loved it. Build quality is excellent, and it's a very comfortable guitar to play.

Bertotti likes this.
  4. Yukimajo

Yukimajo Gretschie

Nov 4, 2018
    Exeter UK
    If hollow is what you're after, the @section2 has nailed it. Your only real choice is colour!

section2 likes this.
  5. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Just a thought, I "save" for some of mine in reverse. I buy some on zero interest credit or promitions. As an example, AMS and Zzounds (same owner I think) both offer 8 or 12 payment plans. They charge I think $20 one time for this service. Bill your credit card monthly (I always pay before they do, and usually stay several months ahead). I have a rather large collection, and this is one of the ways I've done it. Bought a few from each, all have been great guitars.

Yukimajo and section2 like this.
  6. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Zzounds on the 12 pay plan is how I got the Broadway Jade. I'm trying to eliminate any monthly payments at the moment though so I have ruled it out for the time being. If I was to go that route I would jump straight to a Falcon! I see they were offering 18 months on some items this weekend but I don't see it on Gretsch. Probably for the best.

T Bone likes this.
  7. G5422T

G5422T Synchromatic

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Very pleased with my 5422T. I've been thinking on and off about some P90's. Never know, maybe some day.

Very comfortable to play, and a great player too. 20181211_142447.jpg

Best of luck deciding.

8. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    The 5622 comes with HiLo’s but it’s a semihollow.
    They come in vintage orange, so that’s a bonus!

Yukimajo, Bertotti and section2 like this.
  9. section2

section2 Synchromatic

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    IIRC, the 5622 has Super Hilos, which are humbuckers that manage to sound like single coils. I have a Super Hilo in the neck of my 5620T and I love it.

Aristophon and calebaaron666 like this.
  10. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Right right right!
    I knew that! ;)

section2 likes this.
  11. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I didn’t realize there was a super Hilo. I think I would rather have regular Hilo’s, oh wait I do!

section2 and calebaaron666 like this.
  12. jfassett

jfassett Gretschie

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    I put P-90s in my 5122 (see post GFS P90s) and love the tone. I'm sure you'll love them in your guitar, particularly with that sweet Vox!

G5422T likes this.
  13. G5422T

G5422T Synchromatic

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Thanks for the heads up.

jfassett likes this.
  14. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

Jun 25, 2017
    Italy (Rome and Genoa)
    I own a G5422. Real deep hollowbody sound. You need to find the right amp (or anyway, the right settings) to take out the right sound, but when you got it, then, it's magic. In my opinion blacktop filtertrons pickups on a hollow body sound strong and a bit dark (for me the sound is really closer to a Gibson 335 than to any Fender solidbody). If you want to put on single coils pick up, I think you'll get a cleaner and more classic Gretsch hollowbody sound. Just to complete, the G5422 playability is simply wonderful.

G5422T and section2 like this.
  15. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    My advice .... play everything you can . Before I bought my 6120-1959 , I ran to every music store in my area ( all 7 or 8 of them , yea I know , I'm in the NY / NJ metro area ) I played a Tennessee Rose , Country Gentlemen , and a 2 tone Green Annie before I made my decision . Point being .... play everything you can that's available

G5422T and Bertotti like this.
  16. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Not generally possible, I do get to the cities but by the time I am done working the stores will be closed or I will not choose to deal with the traffic and just head to the closest hotel. I am generally stuck buying on faith.

G5422T and thunder58 like this.
  17. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    ..... you need to move :p

18. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Oh, I might try and get into a shop in Minneapolis area or St Paul when I'm up there but for now, it must be avoided! I can't do something like that until cash is in hand and provided I don't get silly and commission another Mandolin. Truth is my dream is to have a nice wad of cash saved up and go to Nashville, the co I work for has meeting s there and world headquarters is there, and hit the big name shops and peruse the mandolins. Ah. we can dream.

Now, if I moved, it would probably be somewhere even more remote. :)

larryb, G5422T and thunder58 like this.
  19. section2

section2 Synchromatic

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    One thought: if you're looking to save money, you could keep an eye out for a used 5122T. The pickups are the biggest difference between the 5422 and the 5122, and you're planning to replace the pups anyway.

There are some other differences: off the top of my head, the 5422 has bound f-holes, and a 5422 made from about 2016 onwards will have a treble bleed circuit on the master volume, a pinned bridge, and a smaller headstock without the Electromatic logo. But you might find a real bargain on a 5122. There's one on eBay right now for $449. (It's listed as a "Gretchen Electromotive." :D) And hey, it's got a TV Jones in the neck and an HS Filtertron in the bridge! This looks like a great deal.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gretchen-Guitars-G5122-Electromotive-Hollow-body-W-Bigsby-/113756119235

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    jfassett likes this.
  20. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Double Cut / 3 Lipstick Single Coil PUs / Hollowbody / Bigsby B3 / Size of a Streamliner Junior G2655 : here what was my approach...

[​IMG]

The DC SHT Dual Coil Super HiloTron are great sounding pickups if you're searching a single-coil, not-too-thin tone, without any hum issue. Having discovered them on my G5622TLH (avatar), I installed one pair on my G5220TLH-DCM "Custom Jet" :

[​IMG]

I fortunately bought them from a forum member, but I don't know if they are available new, as spare parts... o_O

A+!

new6659, T Bone and section2 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice