HNAATD!

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Uncle Daddy, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Happy new amp and telecaster day!

I've been busy of late. Here is my new 5e3 wot I builted, along with a few gutshots for youse geeks- you know who you are!

Started life as a Modulus kit. The only Modulus bit left is a few resistors and the turret board. In reality if I were to do it again, I'd go TAD or Mojotone for the extra quality components. Hammond transformers, Zoso coupling caps, Belton sockets, Carling switches, Switchcraft jacks; 22uF filters, 0.047 coupling caps, metal film grid stoppers, Weber 12A125a, fluffy wiring. All came to about £700. Sounds devine- I especially put in a small output transformers as almost all kits are uprated now for 6L6 options; I wanted early saturation from this lot. The funky resistors are for a 1/4 power option, like the EC Tremolux.

MIM standard Tele, with vintage style bridge, Kluson tunas and A5 pups.

The cab came from Rory Coupland, top fella and cheapest in the UK at 200 quid.

P1120488.JPG P1120472.JPG P1120479.JPG P1120476.JPG P1120478.JPG P1120480.JPG

benjwri, wildeman, mrfixitmi and 11 others like this.
  2. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Teles and tweed; nothing finer or more beautiful!!!
    Congrats!

benjwri likes this.
  3. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Sweet! Where's the sound clip? ;)

4. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats. That's a Desert Island rig... all a guy needs.

5. 6124Bassman

6124Bassman Gretschie

May 20, 2018
    Tempe, Arizona
    Looks great! I’ve been wanting to take on a build project myself

6. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Stewmac are doing a 5e3 kit with a good how-to guide, but do be aware there are better ways of doing the layout than the one given. A wordy but useful intro to burnt fingers can be found here- https://robrobinette.com/Amp_Stuff.htm

6124Bassman likes this.
  7. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

Nicely done Unca, very neat.

8. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Gretschie

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    can't wait for you to post a clip of how it all sounds together. Must be sweet!

9. fender62custom

fender62custom Gretschified

Mar 3, 2012
    Helidon, Australia
  10. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Nice combo, congrats!

11. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Sweet, very nice work and beaut of a Tele, too. If I could only find the time, not to mention skill set.

12. Outlaw

Outlaw Gretschie

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    Very impressive!

13. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Gretschie

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    Nice combination, like salt and pepper, peanut butter and jam, bacon and eggs, etc.

14. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    I'm still doing some shakedown work on this one. It's come out a little warmer than I'm used to so I'll drop the coupling caps to 0.022uf (22nF) to reduce the bass and lower mids. It's fine with a Telecaster, but even Dynas are too thick. I've already swapped the tone cap, and reduced the 12ax7 to a 5751 in the second stage. I added a X-type cap to the on/off switch to eliminate the pop when turning off. That's one of the nice things about these old designs; they're quite adaptable.

15. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    So today I wired in the funky resistors to give me the 1/4 power option. It works! A quarter power however, does not mean a quarter volume. I'd say it's around a 40% drop in volume, and is much more noticeable when the amp is up loud. The mod doesn't change the 5e3 into a bedroom amp, but it does allow you to push things a bit harder. One nice result, it virtually eliminates all the circuit noise on tickover. Realistically, a smaller amp or an attenuator will get you to the same place, but for amp builder geeks it's fun to muck about with. You can also swap the 8Ohm resistor for a 16, and the 16 for a 12, to give about 1/10 power. Now that might be more useful.

I also swapped out the first coupling caps for 0.022UF ones. A big improvement in my book. Doesn't really affect bright guitars like a telecaster, but anything a bit middy comes through clearer. Nice.

P1120494.JPG

P1120495.JPG

16. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Nice couple.
    I love those gut shots. Good clean work. It simply has to sound good.

17. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Very cool. I have a power switching manufactured (Mesa) amp 5/15/25w, and really like it as well. It also subtly affects tone of course, without drastic changes.

18. pmac11

pmac11 Synchromatic

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
  19. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Wow , can't believe I missed this thread . Nice neat work Unc . Enjoy the sound