Join Gretsch-Talk Today

HNAATD!

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Uncle Daddy, Aug 9, 2018 at 9:33 AM.

1. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Happy new amp and telecaster day!

I've been busy of late. Here is my new 5e3 wot I builted, along with a few gutshots for youse geeks- you know who you are!

Started life as a Modulus kit. The only Modulus bit left is a few resistors and the turret board. In reality if I were to do it again, I'd go TAD or Mojotone for the extra quality components. Hammond transformers, Zoso coupling caps, Belton sockets, Carling switches, Switchcraft jacks; 22uF filters, 0.047 coupling caps, metal film grid stoppers, Weber 12A125a, fluffy wiring. All came to about £700. Sounds devine- I especially put in a small output transformers as almost all kits are uprated now for 6L6 options; I wanted early saturation from this lot. The funky resistors are for a 1/4 power option, like the EC Tremolux.

MIM standard Tele, with vintage style bridge, Kluson tunas and A5 pups.

The cab came from Rory Coupland, top fella and cheapest in the UK at 200 quid.

P1120488.JPG P1120472.JPG P1120479.JPG P1120476.JPG P1120478.JPG P1120480.JPG

audept, MTurner, BorderRadio and 6 others like this.
  2. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Teles and tweed; nothing finer or more beautiful!!!
    Congrats!

3. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Sweet! Where's the sound clip? ;)

4. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats. That's a Desert Island rig... all a guy needs.

5. 6124Bassman

6124Bassman Gretschie

May 20, 2018
    Tempe, Arizona
    Looks great! I’ve been wanting to take on a build project myself

6. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Stewmac are doing a 5e3 kit with a good how-to guide, but do be aware there are better ways of doing the layout than the one given. A wordy but useful intro to burnt fingers can be found here- https://robrobinette.com/Amp_Stuff.htm

6124Bassman likes this.
  7. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

8. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Gretschie

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    can't wait for you to post a clip of how it all sounds together. Must be sweet!

9. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
  10. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Sweet, very nice work and beaut of a Tele, too. If I could only find the time, not to mention skill set.